KarenT

Rules

It seems to me that the vast majority of children with AS are sticklers for rules. Once they know the right from wrong and what's supposed to happen they stick to that rule like glue.

Mine doesn't. If it doesn't fit in with his game plan, it doesn't matter how many times I explain that 'this is the way it's done' he just won't have it. I've often felt that he may have features of ODD as a result. He's always right, especially when he's wrong.

He's 7 and doesn't have a dx yet, we're waiting for a second opinion on the assessement he had last year.

Are anyone else's kids like this, always arguing the point and refusing to back down?

Karen

x

It seems to me that the vast majority of children with AS are sticklers for rules. Once they know the right from wrong and what's supposed to happen they stick to that rule like glue.

Mine doesn't. If it doesn't fit in with his game plan, it doesn't matter how many times I explain that 'this is the way it's done' he just won't have it. I've often felt that he may have features of ODD as a result. He's always right, especially when he's wrong.

He's 7 and doesn't have a dx yet, we're waiting for a second opinion on the assessement he had last year.

Are anyone else's kids like this, always arguing the point and refusing to back down?

Karen

x

But is he consistent with his rules?

And does he make new rules so he is right?

My ds is always right and just can't see the other side of the arguement or think about anyone else in situations.

good luck with your second opinion.

Karen

x

Guest flutter

i have mine help making the rules,

we have family meetings, and have had for years

they do now degenerate to a bit of a row, but i have one teen and on pre teen

i have a good system of getting kids to do do stuff around the house and self care if you want a lok, i got it from a book on adhd management

pm me if you wnat more info

tc

C x

My son aged 8 and not yet diagnosed is on his second exclusion in 2 weeks. This time for lashing out at a girl who was swearing at him in school. He insists he was justified in doing this because it's wrong to swear. He cannot understand that it's equally as bad to kick people.

The school admit they don't know how to help him & nor do I. I am convinced he has AS, today I have been on the phone to the Health authority, parent's advice etc and our MP. So far no one has offered any help or got back to me. I'm a teacher myself and I can't imagine how I would cope if I didn't know anything about the stupid systems there are.

I'm really angry!

My son is always right and always wins the game and god help yer if yer say any different.

Even when hes playing driveing shooting type games on the ps2 he stops at the red traffic lights and waites for the green to come on.Now thats safe driveing.

Me and me hubby were saying last night.God we love him to pieces and all his little ways.Someone once said everyones a star but some are shooting stars and there to be noticed.

As long as they're Martin's rules then he follows them to the letter.

Anyone elses - not if he can help it - but he will change the rules so that they then apply to him.

Strange :hypno:

Seems I'm not alone then! Good to know there's a bit of variation in this one - it's one of those things that's often described as an indicator of AS, but like many others it's not compulsory!

K

x

Oh M loves rules - mainly his ones.

At school he is the class policeman! he watches the other kids and tells if they do wrong. Same at lunchtimes he tells the dinner ladies of anyone doing wrong. He will never be in the wrong himself even if he is breaking the 'rules'. M is always right. He just loves imposing rules on evertone else - even us!

mum22boys

This thread has made me laugh whilst feeling a little sad at the same time.

I would say people with a.s. love rules that they themselve have decided on but not necessarily other peoples.

Like opooh said they are always right never wrong and can't see anyone elses side of point of view in a disbute. :(

I would say people with a.s. love rules that they themselve have decided on but not necessarily other peoples.

J to a 'T'

Yes then the dinner ladies don't want to know when something is up because he's bothered them too much :crying:

As long as they're Martin's rules then he follows them to the letter.

Anyone elses - not if he can help it - but he will change the rules so that they then apply to him.

Strange :hypno:

Sounds familiar. Mid meltdown rules tend to go this way>>>>>towards window at an alarming rate.