smallworld

HELP !

Hi,

I need to know whether I am being overly picky about the proposed amendment I got in the post this morning.The only change is down to the funding of lunch-time support in our LEA,the funding for this no longer comes from them, but from the school's budget.

There is nothing in the letter to inform me that I may make representations within 15 days of receipt of the letter, just some blurb about a local disagreement resolution service.....and a paragraph about appealing (SENDIST)if we disagree with their decision.

and ends with,

'This Statement has been amended to reflect the change in the Local Education Authority's policy with regard to mid-day supervision.'

My son's original statement had this relevant bit in PART 3 (the LEA will provide)

'funding to enable **** to receive support from a Midday Supervisor for 6.25 hours each week.'

The proposed amendment has....

'the school will provide:

'Support for **** from a Mid-day Supervisor as deemed necessary.'

Is it just me or is this just way too vague ?

Cheers,

wac

P.S. my son escaped at lunchtime a few weeks ago and got out of the school gates. I didn't make an official complaint but the incident was recorded. I take this as simple proof that this support is crucial to his safety.

Edited by waccoe

waccoe even if the funding is coming out of the school's budget can't understand why they cannot keep the actual amount of hours in. Really really don't like the bit as deemed necessary. As deemed necessary by who, the school, I don't think so :blink: Think you are right to be 'picky' :)

Waccoe,

I haven't any experience of scrutinising statements but this looks way too vague to be any use whatsoever. It looks as though they've left a nice big loophole here. I think you're right to be picky.

K

thanks ,

I've got the COP out, am busy picking out flaws in the handling of this proposal for starters.....

...and being really picky, I wish the LEA bods could make their minds up whether it's 'midday' or 'mid-day' :P

I'm allowed to be inconsistent with my spelling, I'm just a parent :rolleyes:

wac

Waccoe, I have the same issue, not that my sons statement has been changed but that the cover is too vague.

His reads "support should include 5 hours of welfare assistance to provide supervision at lunchtimes".

I am in the process of having his statement "tightened up" to include dedicated 1:1 support at luchtimes, because he used to be an escapee too but these days it's for his own protection from the bullies and to prevent misinterprutation of his actions.

My son's statement doesn't refer to where the funding comes from. You are right to be picky as a Statement is supose to quantify the provision.

I've just rang the SEN office to ask to see a copy of the LEA's policy and was told 'it's not a paper copy as such'

:wallbash:

must be just memorised by the SEN staff and used willy-nilly :lol:

Surely I can't be the first person to ask to read this policy on midday supervision ?

We didn't even find out about this new policy until it had been in place for over a year, but his statement wasn't amended last year, how come ?

The more I think about this proposal, the more unsettled I feel.....

Waccoe,

This is exactly the sort of thing that the DfES wrote to LEAs about in November telling them it was illegal. They are not allowed to make vague statements and all provision has to be clearly quantified and specified, as deemed necessary is not acceptable you want the hours and level of support(1:1) back in , where the funding comes from needn't worry you as long as this is written in. Have a look at the letter on the IPSEAite, you can download it on the right, it's the one dated December 2005.

IPSEA

I've just rang the SEN office to ask to see a copy of the LEA's policy and was told 'it's not a paper copy as such'

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Where is it then? Scribbled on the toilet wall?

K

Up to their tricks ... "as deemed necessary" by the cat? the dog? the rabbit? :robbie: the caretaker? the lady who lives six doors down from the school?

My son's original statement had this relevant bit in PART 3 (the LEA will provide)

'funding to enable **** to receive support from a Midday Supervisor for 6.25 hours each week.'

The proposed amendment has....

'the school will provide:

'Support for **** from a Mid-day Supervisor as deemed necessary.'

So ... have your son's needs changed? - has there been a new report? if not then why do they need to change the statement because of budget changes? they can amend it by just moving the sentence "'funding to enable **** to receive support from a Midday Supervisor for 6.25 hours each week.'" from the LEA bit to the school bit.

Do you have any contact with parent partnership? You can't be the only parent this affects.... mind you since KC and TG have left it's in a bit of disarray ...

my son escaped at lunchtime a few weeks ago and got out of the school gates.

Just a thought but does the statement stipulate what the support is supposed to do e.g mediate in social situations with peers, be alert for potentially dangerous situations, guide and encourage play activities?

If not, since the LEA are so keen to alter this part of the statement might be an idea to have this added, it should be there anywhere - provision clearly specified - then it will be quite clear what the support role is and no excuse for missing your son running out of school.

Edited by Tez

thanks for all your replies, they've all been so helpful :thumbs:

Mother Eve, I couldn't see why the whole sentence wasn't just moved to 'the school will provide' bit ??,

and no mention of PP in letter come to think of it ??

Tez, I am now thinking if I've got to battle to get this sorted I might as well question a few other things too !

Been to see the head this morning to tell her we will be making 'representations' about this, and not happy with amendment.

Actually, I went to see her about another child (just 3) who was trying to cross the main road on his own this morning :wacko: I feel like a right tell-tale but something had to be said. :(

wac

Hi Waccoe - just been reading the Code of Practice: :)

The LEA don't seem to be sticking to the rules :(

8:126 Where the LEA propose to amend a statement following an annual review or at any other

time, whether to change the name of the school in Part 4 or for any other reason, they

must write to the child?s parents informing them of that proposal and of the parents? right

to make representations about the statement and the amendments within 15 days of the

receipt of that proposal and to request a meeting with an officer of the LEA.

8:127 For amendments following a re-assessment, the procedure is the same as when making

a new statement as set out earlier in this chapter.

8:128 For amendments following a review, other than after a reassessment, LEAs must send the

parents an amendment notice that sets out the details of their proposed amendments.

The amendment notice should be appended to the Notice to Parents set out at Part B of

Schedule 1 at Annex A. They must explain the reasons for the proposal and ensure that the

parents have copies of any evidence that prompted the proposal. Where a proposal to

amend the statement arises from the annual review, the parents should have already

received copies of the review report and the school?s recommendations.

8:129 The LEA must consider any representations made by the parents before deciding whether

and how to amend the statement. If the authority concludes that an amendment should

be made, they must make that amendment within eight weeks of sending the amendment

notice to the parents. If the LEA decides not to go ahead with the amendment, they

should write to the parents explaining why, again within eight weeks of the original letter

setting out the proposal to make an amendment.

8:130 When a child transfers from one school to another, either because they have moved to

a different address but remain in the same authority or because of a phase change of

school (for example from a primary to a secondary school), Part 4 of the statement will

always need amending. Information and recommendations from an annual review meeting

may also indicate the need for alterations to an existing statement. Where the proposal

involves amending Part 4 of the statement the parents have the rights to express a

preference or make representations described in paragraph 8:58.

8:131 When the statement is amended a new document must be issued which clearly states

that it is an Amended Final Statement and the date on which it was amended, as well as

the date of the original statement. Additional advice, such as the minutes of an annual

review meeting and accompanying reports, that contributed to the decision to amend the

statement, should be appended to the amended statement in the same way as the advice

received during the statutory assessment. The amended statement should also make

clear which parts of the statement have been amended, so that parents and professionals

can clearly see and understand the changes.

No, they certainly aren't !

have already been at the COP with the highlighter pen ( it will soon be mainly dayglo :rolleyes: )

I have spent most of the morning worrying about the kids I saw the head about this morning, and worrying whether I have done the right thing :unsure:

Then I spent this afternoon wrestling with a kaput venetian blind :wacko:

hence the late reply !

head muttered about LEA passing the buck when I brought up the question of lunchtime support.

wac

No, they certainly aren't !

have already been at the COP with the highlighter pen ( it will soon be mainly dayglo :rolleyes:

Time to get a new one and a pack of at least four different coloured highlighters then .... :lol:

head muttered about LEA passing the buck when I brought up the question of lunchtime support.

Par for the course ... did you know that TG from PP is now working for the LEA as an SEN offficer ... poacher turned gamekeeper?

Success ! of sorts,

woman from SEN office this pm and asked me if I wanted the hours re-writing into the amendment ?

Yes please !

apparently she hadn't drafted this herself and it is now being rectified,

was the quick result cos I asked to see the policy on this ?

wac

Success ! of sorts,

woman from SEN office this pm and asked me if I wanted the hours re-writing into the amendment ?

Yes please !

apparently she hadn't drafted this herself and it is now being rectified,

That's good :)

was the quick result cos I asked to see the policy on this ?

Probably - I'd lay odds that they haven't got one!

what they say and do are too different things. You need to go through the offical process ask for a meeting with the lea officer to discuss proposed statment (this has to be done within ?2 weeks of receiving the proposed statement) If they have nothing in writing they say you have agreed regardless of what you said over the phone.

meet with the lea officer take parent partnership. Take a letter stating all the things you are not happy with and how you want them changed.

The statement should state the LEA will provide 25 hours of LSA support etc.

Jen

Were have just gone through the proposed statement with wooley wording final statement still has wooley wording hence going to sendist to appeal

Jen

Hi Jen,

I'm giving them a few days for the re-drafted amendment to appear in the post, if it doesn't I have my argument and sources ( thanks Tez and M.E. ) already to go !

Hopefully it won't be needed :pray:

I'm just alarmed by how quickly they caved in verbally !

will let you know if I've been over-optimistic for a change :unsure:

wac