kerrybobs

primary school - senior school Advice Please

Hiya,

Robyn 10, AS. Will be starting senior school in September, she does not have a statement and I found out last week that she wont get one as she seems to cope in school. She is on school action plus.

They have said that Robyn will be treated as a vulnerable child so will get extra support and she will be going to visit the school once a week from May to get her used to the surroundings. As with most As kids they dont like change so hopefully these visits will stand her in good stead for September.

I suppose the advice I am after: Has anyone else got a child who was coping ok (emotionally) in primary school and what experiences did they find once they went to senior school. I know each child is different, but I want to prepare myself and Robyn.

One major thing I am worried about is that she is emotionally very immature, and I am worried that she will become a target for bullies. She is also very outspoken at times and would not think twice about saying what she thought, which can be very rude and offensive. I am also worried that because she is the only girl from her class going to this school that she will feel totally alone. The special needs dept is very good and her older sister goes to this school too, that is the reason for her going to this particular school.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Kerry

Transition Advice.

For Parents:

The following is based on our experiences as parents and Mrs Phasmid?s role as a governor, my experience?s as a SEN TA and our joint knowledge generally of SEN issues. All we can say is it worked for us.

Even before admission papers have been issued asking you to choose schools start doing your groundwork. Visit all the schools you are considering. Arrange to go round them on a normal day and see the school at work. Do this without your child. Ask to speak to the Senco, get copies of the SEN and any other policies you want as well as a school prospectus. Most schools will be happy to do this. I'd be very wary of any that won't!

Once you have done that, compare your thoughts on them. Then arrange for you AND your child to visit on a normal day. See how the staff re-acts to them and your child to the staff - likewise the pupils. Then, yet again, sit down and compare notes. If, when the forms come out, the schools have open evenings go along. Take a list of any questions you have and take the time to speak to the staff. Then sit and talk it all through (AGAIN).

After all that, fill in your form and wait for March (normal time for being told whether you have got the place in the school of preference).

Once you know the school, get talking to them. Identify asap the names of important staff if you don't know them already. At this point we took Phas Jr's new school a letter describing him. His likes, dislikes. The sort of things that would upset him and how he would react - how they should react to him. We also arranged for him to have visits to the school in the summer term so he could get to know the staff, layout of the building, noise levels between lessons and so on. This was in addition to the between schools 'Transfer Day?. Through all of that, and the normal academic exchange of information between the schools they had a very good idea of what Phas Jr was going to be like. They told us the 'this is Phas jr' letter was brilliant, what?s more, they circulated it around all staff who he would be taught by - we know this as we saw the copies!

We also made it clear we wanted to work with them. If anything happened at home that might affect his mood at school we phoned them. Likewise if anything happened there that we should know about. We got talking. We all knew each other well long before he set foot in the school as a pupil. It was really worth the time and effort. We knew exactly who to contact when there was (is) a problem and they knew we were there to back them up.

Basically be careful when choosing a school - don't go on other people?s opinions, what?s right/wrong for their child may not be the case for yours! Once you know the school it's COMMUNICATION, COMMUNICATION, COMMUNICATION!!!!

For teachers:

Try and prepare the child in advance as much as possible of what to expect in your class by providing a booklet detailing the following:

Pictures of:

You.

TA (and any1-1new to the child)

The classroom layout.

Doors.

Toilets.

All other ?significant adults? likely to be a part of their day-to-day school life.

Give details of normal day-to-day routine in a clear timetable provided in a way accessible to the child.

Invite them in when school is finished one day. Introduce yourself to them. Get talking to the parents and ask them what you can do to help - show willing.

Useful websites:

www.nas.org.uk

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/s...istant/ASDKS34/

http://www.aspergertips.com/

http://www.simonmidgley.co.uk/support/asd.htm

http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/s...istant/ASDKS34/

http://www.thecbf.org.uk

Hope that helps.

My daughters 12 and has only recently been diagnosed with AS (Nov 05). At primary school she coped very well (quiet, shy, type with eruptions at home), the transition to senior was difficult (although we didn't know at the time she had AS - so no-one helped her or prepared her for all the differences).

Obviously as you say all children are different, although the CP has told us that from 11-16yrs can be a difficult transition for them, due to change in school and puberty etc.

I would say my daughter is far more settled this year, it probably took about a year for her to settle in and get used to the procedures/structure at the new school. I've noted below problems we've encountered.

The main differences I've found between primary and senior school is that attendance is monitored much more closely at senior than primary school. Our daughter has always missed loads of time off through illness (or symptoms that could have been attributed now to stress and anxieties).

The other is routine and change. At primary school they usually have the same teacher throughout the year (we had problems at the time when any supply teacher was brought in but obviously again we didn't know what the problem was then), they have the same classroom and their day is very routine. Obviously at senior school this is completely different, not knowing where all the classes were upset her, also if they have a lesson where after 6 weeks they change classrooms/teacher (technology and design).

My daughter struggles with knowing when a period ends - she doesn't hear the bell (mainly because if she's focusing on something else she's oblivious to everything else around her), we've talked about this and she says that very often she doesn't know it's time to leave until nearly everyone around her has packed up and gone.

We have problems with certain subjects - although PE has been removed (after the CP requested this) from her timetable, she does not see the sense in languages and obviously if they miss time from school sometimes the chunk of info they need was in a prior lesson and this causes upsets.

She also struggles with homework, she may quickly write down what they say but when she gets home and has to translate the words into what she's supposed to do - she can very often have a 'tantrum'. She expects me to know what she has to do and I usually end up trying to ring one of the other children to find out. Any changes to routine, ie. exams.

Other things are the size of schools, amount of children etc - even the colour of the walls - my daughter doesn't go to the canteen because apart from the amount of children etc - the colour of the walls (bright orange) makes her feel sick!

She's also very naive although overall she's coped with that side quite well. She's a nightmare to take shopping, and during the past year has had a major growth spurt (very small prior to this so has never been easy to get clothes - and obviously they have to feel right, comfortable etc.) - over about three weeks her trousers looked like half-mast, and other girls in her class asked her why did she wear such ill fitting clothes (her words I think and not theirs!!) - to which she replied my parents are poor!!!!! - yet she still would'nt come shopping with me, everything from the mail order or what I bought didn't fit - the remark didn't upset her at all and I think the other girls in her class know she's different but they leave her alone (bullying wise).

Good luck, hope all goes well in Sept.

Edited by jb1964

Hi Kerry, good to see you here again,

My daughter found the transition difficult, but then she was getting no support at all at the time and no one was really aware of her difficulties. She had many of the problems that jb has mentioned, in particular she really struggled with organisation - knowing what books to bring home, leave in her locker etc, and her floor was always covered with handouts she'd been given for various subjects. She could never find anything! One thing that might help keep things tidy is to have some sort of filing system, like a set of cardboard shelves which most stationery shops sell. You can then label each compartment for the different subjects.

Socially - it's difficult to say whether being the only child from her old school will be a problem for Robyn or not. In our case L went to school where two thirds of the intake were from her old school and there were several people from her old class in with her. We thought familiarity would be a good thing but it actually worked against her, as those who knew her also knew her vulnerabilities and were already well versed in the art of winding her up. Thanks to these people, stories were circulating about all the "strange" things she used to do when she was 7. So starting with a clean slate might have been better for her. L. did eventually make friends with another girl who happened to be the only one from her school. Perhaps your daughter will link up with someone like this who is also on their own.

It's good news that the schools are aware that your daughter needs a lot of support - I can only echo what Phasmid has said about communicating with the school all the time especially if you have any worries(something I didn't do nearly enough of). This is more difficult to do at secondary level as parents don't get invited in as much and there are more teachers involved with your child, so you have to make more of an effort to do this.

I hope all goes smoothly for Robyn in the next few months,

K

Hiya,

Thanks for replying and its good to be back amongst friendly knowledgable people.

(Im fed up with professionals and there lack of communication).

I did visit a couple of schools with a lovely lady from the parent partnership. I did the tour of the classes and the school as a whole. I was very impressed with the facilities the sen dept had. But it all boils down to this magic piece of paper (statement) as to how much support Robyn will be given.

I have just had another spanner in the works and that is the Ed Psych has now decided Robyn does not have Dyslexia. She has been seeing a lady 1 day p.w. for the last year and a half for help with regards to Dyslexia. He said the main problem Robyn has is with retaining information she was below average in most of the tests. It does make a lot of sense as to why she cant remember anything to do with homework, reading (she can struggle with the words but cant tell you what the story was about). And also the constant asking of the same questions over and over again.

She also has zilch organisational skills. So god help us when she has all these different subjects to contend with.

Thank you for all your advice and kind words I will take everything you have all said on board.

Thank you again

Kerry

Hi KB

Having my son K (12) go from primary school to secondary school was the hardest thing for me have to deal with. Also no statement but dx of AS on school action plus. He also had a few day trips to his new school to get familiar with the surroundings and they introduced him to a few of the teachers that he could go to for help!!! That helped reduce his anxiety alot. He too was the only child from his school to go to this particular school (I choose it for its speical needs/good support network).

The first 2mnths were a nightmare he could not cope with the change of class, the noise all the crowds ( its difficult getting any information out of him) he cant really explain what his day has been like so I get "yes, it was ok at school today, no more questions". But then later on in the night he will say I was upset at school today. I was told that he hid under the teachers desk in the first week to avoid the others in the class and that upset me so much, he was confused and anxious but they dealt with it and he continued his day. Its so hard because in primary school they would have phoned me to fetch him but they have trained staff and he was ok (so i have been told). It has taken a while for him to settle but on the plus side he seems to have settled in very well with a few teething problems in the beginning which we were prepared for...

We do have problems with PE days though he finds it difficult to do PE (he has arthritis) so we got a letter from the Rheumatologist who signed him off PE for 3mnths and he does his homework during PE. Homework is a problem the work load is so much to cope with but we attempt it each night and if he is struggling I write to the SENCO... Thats usually after world war 3 has occured....

He does seem to be coping but I keep a close eye on things, he still does not have lunch in the canteen because of the noise he does not like to eat infront of others. He eats his lunch in the resources centre where he feels safe. That was arranged by the SENCO - they are a little concerned that he is not socializing enough - but he feels safe and I don't want to rock the boat just yet.

Its hard I know but you are doing the right thing asking questions way in advance...

Good luck

justamom

R is now in Year 8. I did a lot of Transition work with him (he has aspects of AS, but was not even on SA in Year 6, though they had lots of problems with him). We met his Tutor, the Head of Year, the SEN people, we went round the school, looked in the PE changing rooms, found out about the showers (very rarely used, and was told to take a spare pare of pants so he coudl go in the shower with a pair on), had a copy of hte home school planner to look at, got a map of the school with the room numbers on, was shown how queueing for dinner works, etc. This all worked well, and he was telling the other children how to get to the right rooms!

I wrote a letter to every teacher (adjusted according to the subject) describing the problems he might have. We sorted out a time-out card and contract (though he has never used it).

He struggled in Year 7. He had lots of days/half days at home, and spent a lot of time in the Unit (he was not supposed to be in it really as it is for the dyslexic students). they put him on SA+, and I got some input from Autism Outreach (which seemed to be about how R coudl keep calm, and little about what the school coudl do!). I told EWO about the problems, but she coudl not care less.

The problems mainly came from when he had supply teachers - it threw him too much. I asked if they coudl warn him, but it was not possible apparently (!). Anyway this year, he has been a lot better - not sure why - but he is taking things in his stride a lot more. He still fails to write his homework down properly, so we often have to guess what he is supposed to do.

Communication is my biggest issue - it is so hard to get hold of the right person, expecially if it is urgent. I spent a lot of time hanging around Reception in the morning in order to catch the teachers on their way out of the staff meeting. e-mail is the ideal communication - if they read it!

We also practised what he should do if eg: he lost his locker key, he was ill, etc and made sure the reception staff knew about him.

Karen

Hi Kerrybobs can only agree with what others have said. My AS son has a statement, but that does not automatically seem to safeguard him as regards support and some teachers having any understanding of AS. We also visited secondary school. Older brother goes there so in the end he took ds round. At first after everyone had gone as he found the crowds overwhelming. Older son also took a video of one of their tours which he put on a dvd for ds again this helped and he played it in the summer holidays. The Autism outreach team helped me prepare a pupil profile. Photo at top and brief description of main problems, his strengths how ds can react in certain situations and the strategies that work best. I thought this was really good but It has become obvious to me that some teachers do not read it. Organisation is a huge problem and he has not mastered having a locker, he carries around a bag that is nearly as big as him rather than risk forgetting anything :) Homework again a problem not always written down and teachers not accepting they have some responsibility to help. But I can say that ds has settled better than I thought (I have my fingers crossed here)The senco has been very supportive and really tries on my behalf to get the teachers up to scratch. She is my one and only communication with the school really. I have her e-mail address and her voice mail number. I think it is essential that you are able to contact someone quickly when needed as most children do not appreciate you hanging around the school trying to speak to someone, have had to do this though. Organisation of books etc. at home is going ok. We have this unit on wheels with seven coloured drawers which helps us to organise books homework. We also have one of those concertina files for all handouts that come home from school. I hope everything goes well for your daughter, I was dreading it and so was my son, but we prepared as much as we could (thanks to info from Phasmid) and it really did help.

Hiya,

Thanks for replying, I have had time to digest some of the advice given and Thank you for sharing your personal experiences.

Big thanks to Mother Eve, I went onto the link that you posted. Im glad that Knowsley appeared on there, you see there is not much going on in the Knowsley area for Asd. If I was under Liverpool it would be a different matter entially. So I have noted some of the names and also down loaded the 2 information packs. The one for school is a great idea and I will take it along the next time I visit the senco.

Once again Thank you

Kerry