Sign in to follow this  
LKS

daughter poorly

I have asked the school to keep a careful eye on dd at the moment as we are reducing her anti- epilepsy meds. While waiting in the playground for her I see her class coming from the hall. She is as white as a sheet and visibly shivering. I wait another 5 mins for her to finally come out and LSA says she has been a bit off this afternoon we kept asking if she wanted to go to medical but she wouldn't answer. Dd looks terrible and says her head really hurts she was in tears when she came out of the classroom. LSA tries to talk to me about clothes for the b****y production. Seeing as dd has a recognised communication difficulty would it not have been sensible to just take her to medical. She should really have been sent home. Don't know if she is ill or it is withdrawing of the meds. Trying to get hold of GP :angry: l

It's enough worry just worrying about them in school generally without the added worry of when they're not well. Schools seem to unfortunately seem to think that kids will tell them if they want to go home etc - it always amazes me that this is one area where they obviously struggle with and yet they're asking them to make decisions.

The terrible thing is that very often they just battle on without saying a word in school - but someone there should be able to pick up on this and should have rung you - it doesn't take a genius to realise when someone is permanently as white as a sheet that they're not well!!.

Hope she feels better soon.

What a worry for you, so much for keeping a close eye!

I hope she feels better soon and you manage to get hold of your GP.

Take care.

Lorainexx

LKS >:D<<'>

Your poor little one. This is one of my pet hates, my ds doesn't tell anyone if he's poorly. It's often very difficult for me to tell if he's poorly in the mornings (he's a morning person - bouncing about :wacko: !!). The amount of times i've gone to pick him up and he's looked dreadful - :angry: - i always get 'He didnt say anything' ARGH! :angry:

He's just had a heavy cold - i sent him into school after a few days off. He seemed ok, but i asked them to keep an eye on him................ When i went to collect him he was white as a sheet and in tears. When i spoke to the SENCO she said 'I was wondering why he ran off and shut himself in a cupboard, banging his head on the wall asking for you' :angry::angry::angry: Angry was not the word...........

Do you have a home/school book?? I wrote something in my ds' and wrote a letter to head/senco and govenors making it very clear that M's difficulties make it hard for him to let anyone know if he's ill.... etc, etc. They got the message...... :devil:

SM Oh for god's sake, I know they have many children to look after but why didn't notice your boy was ill. :angry::angry: my dd has 2 LSA's so you think one of them would have noticed. I think I am going to say If you think she appears unwell take her to medical don't ask her if she wants to go. Couldn't get through to GP, Have left message with consultant as well. Don't wish to panic but am very worried that we could be seeing the effect of the very reduced meds. Lowest dose she has been on now for nearly 3 years

any luck with doctors yet,they phoned you back?hope she ok,i hate it when kids are ill i worry constantly and tend to panic. i think her teacher was very wrong not to take her to the medical room,you had asked them to keep eye on her so whats going on,it really annoys me when they think they know best :wub:

This is something that schools seems to be really bad at - they know out kids have a social and communication disorder - but then don't understand that they will not be able to express their problems and illnesses in the same way as an NT kid.

I had the same problem with M's school (M=dx as). They failed to call me when she broke her arm in the playground even though she was showing physical symptoms - crying (v rare), holding her arm etc

They even complained that she had refused to write or join in for the whole afternoon.....well DUH!!!

:tearful: my son 8 dx of as spent an hour or more hobbling around on a broken foot.

The school only phoned when it had swollen really badly and he was crying (very rare at school).

I was so so mad. He doesnt go to that school anymore

redberry