DaisyProudfoot

A laugh or a cry?

The difficulty of Martin's life (AS son) was brought home to me last night as he was playing with the toddler. Toddler was in the bath and started throwing froth at Martin who was in the bathroom so Martin started throwing it back.

Toddler was giggling away finding this hilariously funny :lol: and then Martin suddenly said:

"Is that a laugh or a cry? I can't tell."

"It's a laugh" I answered

"OK" says Martin

Hubbs and I just looked at each other. We're NT and I just can't imagine how difficult Martin's life must be sometimes. It's no wonder he gets frustrated

With my son thereare always questions like these. He asks me for example "Mum, are you sad, angry or happy?" and if I say that I'm happy he asks " why don't you have a smile on your face?" :D . :lol:

Curra

Daisy,I understand how you feel.

I noticed something about my son yesterday.

We changed the car from a blue one to a silver one a couple of weeks ago.

Son came out of school and looked like he could not find me.

Then he said " Thats whats hard about having a silver car,it doesn't stand out, there are too many".

It made me realise he doesn't notice types of car or shape etc, there were three other silver cars, all cars must look much the same to him.

Little things like this seem to happen a lot lately, and although I find it sad at times it helps me understand how my son see's the world.

Theresa

Daisy, William has difficulty working out facial expressions. I've grown used to him asking me constantly what my face means; one thing that really confuses him is the face I pull when I'm concentrating, he always thinks I'm angry about something. Or when I'm in an animated conversation he thinks I'm having a row because, being a geordie, my voice gets really loud when I'm excited about something :lol:

I don't know if you've noticed this with your son, but William has no facial expressions other than dead pan, he has the same face whether he's happy or sad. Though he does have a very elastic face like Rowan Atkinson and can do great impressions.

Lauren

asereht

I cant tell the difference between cars either and my hubby used to have a silve car which was a big problem to me.I had to read the number plates or he had to lean out of the car in a car park waving at me like an idiot. :lol::lol:

To me all cars look the same and I have to go by colour. :rolleyes:

My Son doesn't seem to realise there are more emotions than love or hate.....He either loves you or hates you, no happy medium, with him its black and white!

I remember when he had just been dx and was playing me up being a right little pain :devil: Without thinking i just turned round and said to him ' just stop pushing me' It certainly stopped the behaviour, he took one long blank look at me then finally said ' i didn't push you mummy' Boy that was fun trying to explain what i meant!! :oops:

My daughter had a massive tantrum the other day over laughing and crying. We were in the middle of a 'big one' when I said I would do something in 5mins - which I regretted as soon as it came out of my mouth put my hand to my head and said 'oh no why did I say that' aloud in a strained kind of voice, to which she said why was I crying - I said I wasn't - she said I put my hands to my eyes and talked in a voice that sounded like a cry - I said again I wasn't it was a cry out of despair because I'd done something that I wished she hadn't - it escalated into a I was lying because I was crying etc etc.

We did talk about it after and she said that when I covered my eyes she can't work out what my face is saying - so I learnt something.

She really struggles with this kind of thing and she is also forever saying why have I got a face like that or why are you mad, you hate me, you don't love me, and her emotions are not on a scale - everything is exaggerated - she's either happy to the point of annoying and her face is distorted with a big smile and bouncing about everywhere, sad to the point of depressed, with downsided mouth, slouched shoulders and heavy footed or completely in her own world when she's focussed on something and then she's just so quiet you need to have a mega-phone to get her to listen to you.

Although we have been working on this kind of thing - she gets it wrong and the subtle things are just so over her head.

My daughter had a massive tantrum the other day over laughing and crying. We were in the middle of a 'big one' when I said I would do something in 5mins - which I regretted as soon as it came out of my mouth

Martin had asked me that usual question of when whatever was going to happen and I suddenly found myself saying to this 9-year-old child: (words may not be completely accurate)

"Martin, I am not going to commit myself to a time here, because do you know what happens when I give you a time? You stick to it rigidly and no-one can stick to a rigid time, it's too hard. I will therefore say 'I do not know' and you won't get mad with me or anything because as much as you want a time, I can't give it - do we understand each other?"

"Yes," he said "but what time..........." :wallbash::wallbash:

So, that explanation worked didn't it :lol:

"Martin, I am not going to commit myself to a time here, because do you know what happens when I give you a time? You stick to it rigidly and no-one can stick to a rigid time, it's too hard. I will therefore say 'I do not know' and you won't get mad with me or anything because as much as you want a time, I can't give it - do we understand each other?"

"Yes," he said "but what time..........."

I can't believe you said that - I said pretty much the same a few nights back - and afterwards she said exactly the same!!!!

i can never tell them appart but i know if there is water coming out of the eys then its a cry but thing is most peoople cover up when they do that so i can never tell what they doing