lancelot

Oh yuck...

Our hot water has been smelling a bit odd for a couple of days, and DH has just stuck his head in the loft and found it's full of flies and something's chewed the lagging on the hot water tank!

Already trying (failing) to get a plumber to sort out the leak under the kitchen floor, so now I need one even more (and possibly Rentokil to sort out whatever is eating things up there....) Any advice guys?

Hope no one else was just about to eat dinner? Don't fancy mine now!

L xx :sick:

Dead rodents smell awful. You need to remove the lagging and look what is there. It is probable an old nest area with a decomposing body.

Jen

Agree with Jen

A few years ago we had a couple of weeks with an awful smell I couldn't quite place - but had smelt before (country boy, me), when a nasty stain appeared on the ceiling it suddenly twigged - dead rat in the attic, all eliminated very quickly (& new cavity wall insulation helps! - Believe it or not they can climb up the cavity from a cracked drain, and can get through holes you wouldn't believe.) :sick:

R

I've got two cats, and believe me they aren't a solution to the mice we get, they are the cause! One of them is a major psychopath and he brings mice in by the half dozen just so he can have the pleasure of hunting them in the warmth of the house!

Last Summer I noticed a towel lying on the floor of the airing cupboard. I picked it up and it was full of maggots which were at the stage that they were about to hatch in to flies. There was half a dead mouse lying in a pool of congealed blood :sick:

To make things worse Terry came up with the dyson and hoovered up all these maggotty things, there were hundreds of them. Then he forgot to empty the dyson, so within 24 hours the cylinder was full of flies :o This really freaked me out and for about 2 months I was in danger of developing a cleaning fetish. (it didn't last much longer than the two months :D

Lauren

In a warm place a dead animal can have maggots within hours, we used to have a snake and he left a mouse in the tank one night, when I removed it the next night it was crawling with them :sick:

its got to be a dead rat up their!! My sister inlaw had a dead rat in her loft and their were hundreds of maggots.... I hate rats we had them in the garden in summer and i would not hang out the washing for a few weeks and if i did go out to the line i made such a noise to try and scare them away....

good luck

I've got two cats, and believe me they aren't a solution to the mice we get, they are the cause!

Lauren

We must have had cats from the same litter! I had a tabby girl who would bring the mice in then forget about them (not the brightest blesser). Thing is she'd let it go completely unharmed. She just brought them in and dropped them and then wandered off.

Maybe she was being paid to bring them into the warmth???

Got a different cat now & he's a terror. Smelt something a couple of weeks ago, hunted high and low but couldn't track it down, eventually the smell went. We ripped out our gas fire at the weekend. There, in the fake coals, was a dessicated mouse :sick: . If I'd known he wanted a bbq I'd have set one up for him :lol:

we looked... it was mice all right, one in the hot water and three very very dead ones in the central heating overflow tank. Wondering if it was a mousy suicide pact?

I've got two cats, and believe me they aren't a solution to the mice we get, they are the cause! One of them is a major psychopath and he brings mice in by the half dozen just so he can have the pleasure of hunting them in the warmth of the house!

Last Summer I noticed a towel lying on the floor of the airing cupboard. I picked it up and it was full of maggots which were at the stage that they were about to hatch in to flies. There was half a dead mouse lying in a pool of congealed blood :sick:

To make things worse Terry came up with the dyson and hoovered up all these maggotty things, there were hundreds of them. Then he forgot to empty the dyson, so within 24 hours the cylinder was full of flies :o This really freaked me out and for about 2 months I was in danger of developing a cleaning fetish. (it didn't last much longer than the two months :D

Lauren

eeeeuuughhhh Lauren that is so gross...........I'd be having nightmares!

Hey..where's Taekwondo girl gone ...what's with the flowers?

Hey..where's Taekwondo girl gone ...what's with the flowers?

She's in the airing cupboard with my karate suit :D That's where it's staying for the time being... we haven't been for weeks :huh: Just can't seem to summon up the energy since the boys refused point blank to go ever again :star:

ps, the flowers are symbolic :huh: can't you tell??? :o I was trying to be arty :unsure: , lots of red flowers with a yellow one standing out from the crowd.... um... a bit like with an autistic child? Don't you like it?? :blink::lol:

Edited by Lauren

Corpses gone -- husband has unsuspected heroic depths! -- and whole system flushed and disinfected.

C is understandably freaked out at the idea that he might have washed in contaminated water. Me too, but i expect we'll survive.

Still need the plumber for the leaky kitchen -- it's that sort of week!

hello lauren,i like your flowers,they remind me of the bit in wizard of oz where dorothy falls asleep in that poppy field!! when someone gets a new avatar it throws me for a bit cos i am used to that avatar going with that person,if smileymab ever changes hers i will be lost or annie!!

hev, I know what you mean. I was reading a post earlier which was very familiar and then I realised it was actually one I'd done earlier :o ! I had just forgot I'd changed my avatar. A bit like the time I changed cars and spent 5 minutes in a car park trying to get in to on which was like my old one! :lol: