DaisyProudfoot

How did they cut the grass?

You know how you get those strange moments.

Well, I was watching Coast on the History Channel last night and they were on the North East coast rebuilding a pre-historic house which carbon dating revealed had been lived in for 200 years! It was very pointy, a bit like a teepee, but the house was roofed with living turf (at least this is what they reckoned it was roofed with).

On the North East coast a turf roofed house must have been ideal to block out the winds etc but the only thing that was going through my head was:

If it stood for 200 years, did the grass keep growing? And how did they cut it? And did it sprout daisies in the summetime .. or did the dandelions take over?

Mind.....I am on some pretty strong painkillers at the moment :lol:

Perhaps they put rabbits on the roof or a sheep to munch the grass. :blink::blink:

Or maybe children with small cutting tools.

If it stood for 200 years, did the grass keep growing? And how did they cut it? And did it sprout daisies in the summetime .. or did the dandelions take over?

I am just so glad my daughter didn't see that programme :D

Mind.....I am on some pretty strong painkillers at the moment :lol:

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

:lol::lol::lol:

Keep taking the pills Daisy :thumbs:

Lauren

The answer is that

1) the longer it grows, the thicker the thatch it grows (more insulation);

2) the less you cut it, the slower it grows; and

3) heat from inside dries out the turves, so the grass would die in hot summers, and so need replacing every now and then (Like a thatched roof, but probably more often) - once the grass is dead, it no longer channels the rain down the outside of the roof, so the roof starts eroding.

As for the flowers, I'd be amazed if they didn't at least try to plant insect-repelling plants in it.

Hope that helps

nemo

Thanks Nemo :thumbs:

Never thought about it drying out. I'd love a house with pretty flowers on the roof, especially daisies because they're the most beautiful flower in the world

It's no wonder we changed to hard-landscaping on our roofs, lawn sounds like a lot of work! :hypno:

The answer is that

1) the longer it grows, the thicker the thatch...

nemo

Hmmm... I dunno, I just thought the older she got the madder she got, which isn't quite the same as 'thick' is it?

Do you know - it was her wot stopped our free milk? That's probably why my knees crack and i can't touch my toes anymore (well except that one in a box on the mantelpice of course - following that freak gear change accident on the pushbike while wearing flip-flops!)...

L&P

A tired and therefore barking

BD :D

No it doesn't Hailey. It stops growing in the winter time which means our lawnmowers only work part-time. Trees lose their leaves in winter too, does that happen in Australia?

Trees lose their leaves in winter too, does that happen in Australia?

:lol::lol::lol::clap:

In fact they only have eucalyptus trees in Australia, and every year they lose their leaves to pharmaceutical companies for making cold cures for us lot :devil:

Edited by littlenemo

Guest hallyscomet
:lol::lol::lol::clap:

In fact they only have eucalyptus trees in Australia, and every year they lose their leaves to pharmaceutical companies for making cold cures for us lot :devil:

Hello Again :D Just woke up..

We have a lot of Deciduous trees (those that loose their leaves) and most of the Evergreen trees those that don't their must be over 500 different varieties of trees, and being a Multicutural society with so many people from different countries they are bringing in their favourite trees like the Italians & Greeks love their Olive trees.

Since I was a child the sizes of the Supermarkets have grown to the extreme to stock all the different foods from different nationalities, the Fruit and Veg department has so many new things that leave you puzzled. I imagine you notice that too. What will I make is now Indian, Italian, Greek, French, German, Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Vegetarian, Aussie favourites, Malaysian, Indonesian, Exotics, the list goes on.

Out in the country the trees are distinctively Blue Gum, or Eucalyptus Tree, and Norfolk Pines and many varieties of Pine trees, they are so pretty.

If you have a look at the Aerial view photo's of the Blue Mountains, as you look over the distance, you will notice a strikingly blue haze, it looks fantastic when you are driving up there and looking across the mountain forest, the reason they call it the "Blue Mountains" is because when the Eucalypt tree get hot they release the oils of the Eucalypt thus emitting a blue haze. Mount Wilson and Mount Tomar are also part of the Blue mountains they have a Botanical Gardens there and some of the views over to Katoomba and Wentworth Falls are spectacular.

I think what I love about Australia is the sense of adventure always waiting for you when you go off on a holiday, a lot of people like to fly interstate for something different, but I like driving there, love the journey and travelling through all the little country towns.

So many people are drawn to the UK for some similar reasons. The scenery there is so unique but I have only seen it through the media.

H.