Sign in to follow this  
Mother in Need

30 hours of in-class support

I have just received a letter from the Head (the first one ever, surprising as he has never answered any of mine), stating that my son now receives 30 hours of in-class support, plus all the other suport that they provide for their students with learnng needs.

Could anyone tell me what in-class support could mean?

(He was only in school for 12 hours last week, how could he have had 30 hours? This week he'll be there hopefully for 20.)

I would write and ask him to specify what support he now says is in place!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sure hell reply?

I would write and ask him to specify what support he now says is in place!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sure hell reply?

No, he wouldn't reply.

In the same letter, he also states that he hopes that now I will trust in them to look after his needs.

Well, no, I don't, but I don't want to rock the boat more than I have to, I think I'll do more damage than good if I ask for clarification of anything. At the moment they are doing brilliantly, apart from the hours and non-transport, and the fact that it is all 'as required' so could be withdrawn at any moment, but while it lasts I don't want to be difficult in any way.

Just ask him to provide an explanation as to what this means for you son, it isn't an unreasonable request! As for the issue of trust - it works both ways. You want to be involved with his education and be a full party to what is going on, you want to work with them and would therefore appreciate being kept 'fully' informed of things.

I agree, you arent being unreasonable, by getting it clarified you are being responsible and acting in your childs best interests( someone has to). It will also strengthen your case if there are problems in the future as you have something to refer to.

I hear what you're saying, but as he won't reply anyway, and hence I won't get the info either way, I don't want to get on the wrong side of them (OK, MORE on the wrong side than I already am...). I'll fight it out via the LEA and the statement, if I can get the provision properly specified and quantified in the statement, then they'll just have to do as they're told. :lol: and give those 30 hours in possibly the way ds needs them :notworthy:

Hi Mother in Need,

I can only answer for myself but I provide 10 hours in class support for one girl and 7 hours in class support for another a week. This support is flexible to the pupils individual needs on the day. Usually all the practical lessons Science, Art, Technology, P.E. due to fine motor diffficulties but also if there is a lesson cover which means a teacher they don't know one of my girls gets very upset and I support in that lesson at short notice.

Julieann

Write a letter thank the head for the letter and ask him to confirm what does 30 hours actually mean. What days will you son be supported and for how long each day.

Thank him for keeping you informed and say will would like to be kept informed of any changes so you can help the school to support your son.

THIS IS NOT AN UNREASONABLE LETTER TO WRITE EVEN IF YOU DO NOT GET A RESPONSE. THE HEADTEACHER MAY HAVE BEEN GIVEN ADDITIONAL HOURS BY THE LEA. This is what happened with our child.

Jen

I agree even if you do not get a response write the letter and make sure you keep a copy. I would do this because I smell a rat here. If you are going for a statement I think that the school are going to be telling the LEA that as they already give your son 30hours a week support, and that he is already getting more support than he would via a statement. Believe me the LEA will want this support quantified and specified and so should you. The school may have been given more hours or they may have been asked to provide evidence of the support they give now.

I know that you do not want to upset them anymore than you have to but if the school believe that you are a pushover they will continue to push you. Sorry to be so blunt but they do look for a glitch in the system and then abuse it.

If you do not rock the boat for your son then no one else will.

Carole

PP has just told me that the LEA has provided 30 hours for my son to re-integrate him back into school. Once re-integrated though, those hours will go down to 15 as per statement (at moment still only in draft form as I have requested a meeting).

How generous of the school to now say they they provide him with 30 hours, as in reality it is not them but the LEA...and then, he still doesn't go to school for those hours...

I'm still not sure about writing back to the Head, still don't think I could get anything out of it other than being seen as difficult and mistrusting once more, prefer to write only when I see no other option to get something done/looked at.

I think that you can write again to confirm what has happened: maybe you could say that you're pleased that the reintegration package has been put together, and that you'd like to just confirm that YOU have understood fully what that actually means in practical terms (make it sound like you need to understand, not that you don't trust..). This is important, simply because you may need to have some form of evidence that you asked for this at a later date - if you do have any further difficulties with the LEA... You may of course have no more problems, but being a git cynical at the mo' I'm inclined to think that forearmed is forewarned. or is it the other way round???

Anyway, hang on in there. You don't have to be nice to the head - he has to be nice to you. (but i do know what you mean, as i've been in a similar position to you). I am in a current battle with my LEA, and nobody every replies to my letters an demails, and the people i need to speak to are always 'unavailable'. I have had to get so assertive and unlke myself to deal with the irritating people in charge...

thinking of you

dotty