Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frangipani

What is Autism

Thanks for that HC - its quite an easy description to comprehend so I'm going to send it to my parents and siblings :-)

Lynne

Guest hallyscomet
Thanks for that HC - its quite an easy description to comprehend so I'm going to send it to my parents and siblings :-)

Lynne

I agree Lynne, the easiest I have seen so far.....

okay its a South Australian link, but you can just find the appropriate professionals in your area...easy....

:)

Thanks HC,

Printed a copy off for a friend who wanted some info in easy reading terms - there was also some info on Aspergers on the left hand side which I printed off as well.

Thanks again

Jb

Thanks Hailey, I've added that to my favourites. It's a really concise and clearly written description.

K x

Gosh that brought it all home to me again. I hate that "there is no cure for autism thing" .. yes I know, but I want to believe that there is!!!

I read these things and get on such a negative vibe about it all - bless, I can't wait to pick up my son at 3pm now and give him a squeeze.

Thanks Hailey

That's very straightforward and a good read. One line in particular reminded me of the only comment my son's paedetrician put on the statement for his DLA (which he received first application) she put:

Martin has Asperger Syndrome - this is a form of autism - he will never grow out of it, he will always have it, he has it for life and it affects him daily.

(or words to that effect)

Guest hallyscomet
Thanks Hailey

That's very straightforward and a good read. One line in particular reminded me of the only comment my son's paedetrician put on the statement for his DLA (which he received first application) she put:

Martin has Asperger Syndrome - this is a form of autism - he will never grow out of it, he will always have it, he has it for life and it affects him daily.

(or words to that effect)

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> like my signature says: >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

THe "symptoms" of Autism which seems to be the only thing looked at by professionals, these symptoms are caused by auditory and visual processing difficulties which is partof what the researchers are looking at, and there are treatments that can help but not on nhs and not many in the uk, widely available and recognisd in other countries. sensory processing difficulties are also relevant and don't appear to be tested as part of asd, I had mine tested as a research volunteer as part of asd stuffby leading professor, the auditory processing difficulties is what causes people difficulties in conceptualising taking things literally and communicating, communication diffficulites have got nothing to do with being able to speak articulately, but more about saying what it is you want to say and being misinterpreted, although it maybe lower verbal in other cases like my son, it also is linked to obsessional behaviour as the mind is so chaotic it is the only way to get some order into things, my obsessional interest at first were treated as something to be eliminated with no understanding that I was asd and that is how I function, and made my life hell, and my nhs still believes these are the treatments i should be having, if I say it makes me feel distressed they say it is my attitude which nearly pushes me over the edge. My son and I both have both narrow rigid interests soemetimes called obsessional which is what they tried to treat and ocd which is seperate which they didn't try to treat actually they didn't appear to realise the difference.

Thankfully my son had tests as part of dx for asd which made able to understand it and realised I was on the spectrum myself.

Edited by florrie