Viper

My boy can read!!!

Ben is 5 and a half and in September when he was supposed to start school he could read all the 49 words they need to know by the end of reception. He can now read at an 8 year old level. He just seems to get better every day. I found a test online that the schools use to assess reading levels. I also found a series of printable books for 8 year olds and he is storming through them. :dance:

My girls keep complaining that he is reading their MSN messages while they type and have asked me to stop teaching him. :P

What makes me angry is that when he was at school for the 4 weeks he attended, they gave him books with no words and were sending home a letter a week for him to learn. I had told them he could read and knew his alphabet but they just said, everyone starts here. If he was at school he would be soooo bored and probably not reading.

Surely he meets the criteria for a HFA , why can't they DX?

Edited by Viper

WOO HOO. :dance::dance::dance:

Viper my son is also an astounding reader, I did start looking into hyperlexia.

I am interested in the website where you can see what level of reading they are on, if you get

time could you post a link. :pray:

Have you spoken to anyone else yet about Ben being dx?? I know you hit a wall with this when you

started home ed, but just wondered if they have got back to you at all?

My son also reads my posts as I'm typing. :D

He also read some graffiti at the park, all of a sudden he was coming out with &*&^%$%^%%%^,

me and my friend were gobsmacked until we realised he was reading the graffiti on a swing,

my friend promptly covered it up. :o:lol:

Well done Ben. :clap:

Brook

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/060899.htm

Try the link Brook. I think it's American, in fact I'm pretty sure it is, but It should be the same test as for our kids and I tested my girls too, they said it is the same as they did at school.

Did you want the site with the free printable books too, it has worksheets to go with each book and there are 29 books. Very good for boys, they are about a robot and Ben loves them.

Edited by Viper

hi viper that is brilliant news love to hear this bout the kids getting on my 2 are very good at maths like rainman sometimes but not a bad thing could you post the site you found the reading tests as i could test my 2 keep smilin luv karin :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

http://www.learningpage.com/free_pages/home.html

Here is the site for the reading books. You have to register but it is all free. If you want the robot books, click on the EWE books they are called Tommy Tales and you can print them or read them online. I print them off in black and white and my girls colour them in, Ben hates colouring but will help when his sisters are doing it.

There are lots more books and worksheets on there too.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Well done ben (and viper) Great to hear your storming through those books and stuff :clap::clap:

Sorry if I'm being daft :wacko: But that last bit about DX? I thought Ben does have a DX?? :unsure:

In any event, keep up the good work - and if you are still in the 'diagnostic wasteland' I hope you have some answers soon...

L&P

BD :D

No BD still no DX for my man yet. We have hit a full stop. The Guys hosp team wanted to observe him at school but he doesn't go so that's it as far as they are concerned. I am waiting to see if we can get on "the house of tiny tearaways" to try and help with some of his problems and then I will get back in touch with Guys to see what or if they can do anything.

It feels more like a land fill site than a wasteland right now BD.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::thumbs: well done to Ben and well done to mum, my daughter (nt) has just turned 6 & she can't read for toffee so i think you have a very clever little man there, keep pushing for the dx hun :thumbs::dance::clap::clap:

:dance::dance::dance:

Way to go Ben. :clap:

T is 6 and HFA, his reading is coming on leaps and bounds now and he is ahead for his age. He has a new book every week. LOL They only do reading book sessions with the teacher once a week, which I kinda think if daft b/c I'm sure he could read at a much higher level than he currently is. Heck, he reads long words to me from the phonebook that blows me away! LOL I personally believe the school are holding T's reading back b/c he's only 6!!! :wallbash:

My son just turned 5 and is reading at age 11, he knew the alphabet backwards at 20 months and taught himself to read at 2 years of age, he is astounding! It doesn't go without its problems - he is in a school age 4-7 so the reading material is below his level. Also you can't spell out stuff in front of them!!!

If I spell out a sentence at a rapid speed without spaces between the words, my son can convert it into words and the whole sentence in a nano second.

I know I am always going on about hyperlexia and please get the book "Babies That Read" because it is fascinating and tells you exactly how to cope with their special abilities. Please check my previous posts for more details. These children learn differently to most ASD kids. Visual timetables etc dont work with just pictures, they need words and text. They learn through text.

Having this ability is very rare, it should be encouraged and praised ... although it is often overlooked by Professionals (because they dont always understand it).

If your child is reading early, spending his time fascinated with the written word, letters, Countdown, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, is reading posters on walls all the time, is into word puzzles, word searches, missing letters, abbreviations ... check out what Hyperlexia is all about (it is not recognised in this country but a few of us on here are campaining for it to be!!!)

Thanks for reading - keep your child reading!