Sign in to follow this  
forbsay

School Review

Hi

I have got my son's first yearly school review next week - what can I expect so that I can prepare myself? I used to dread these meetings when he was at nursery..............

Thanks

Forbsay

You will find NAS information on Annual Review here. If you have any questions please ask, hopefully someone will be able to answer.

Annual review

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=303&a=6741

Thanks for the link Nellie

We've got ours next Monday ... no report from the ASD team ... now why doesn't that surprise me ...??????

Forbsay. Have you received any reports from the people involved with your son. You should get these at least 2 weeks before the review so that you have an opportunity to go through them and agree (or not) with the comments made. I have usually been asked to fill in my parental views and this goes along the lines of what I think of the communication between myself and the school, what sort of year the child has had, whats gone well, what hasn't what I'd like to see happen during the coming year that sort of thing. Everyone at the meeting gets an opportunity to say their piece. I have to write down notes of what I want to say otherwise I just can't remember. I also usually ask for the other people to say their bit first and that way sometimes they answer some of my points and I can cross them off. Also if anyone can go with you if only to take notes/minutes it can be really helpful after to look through them. Have you received any paperwork yet including a list of who has been invited? Best of luck.

Hi

Not received any reports on him at all. I have been given a note of the attendees at the meeting. Yeh, I have got someone to go with me...........

We shall see what happens.

Thanks for your replies

Really appreciate it!

Forbsay

Gosh, I'm so glad Ive read this. Max (5) first annual review is on the 22 May, and Ive received no reports, nor have I had a request to write a report myself.

Ive read the 2 links and they have been brilliant. Thank you so much.

Ive just emailed Max's statementing officer requesting sight of reports, and I'm gonna speak to school today also and see why they have not done so, according to the links they should have sent me reports by now.

Off to get back on my band wagon.

Haven't had to do any of this since last Summer, I haven't missed it. When he was in nursery it was every month, I'd forgotten how stressful it is.

Wish me luck

Jo

At my son's primary school all we were ever given was the date to attend. We never, ever received copies of reports before, we didn't know who was attending until on the day and were never told what was going to be discussed. We're a bit wiser now. At his review in year 5, secondary schools weren't even discussed and at the end of the meeting I was given a form and asked "can you fill this in with the name of the school you want him to go" and they wanted me to do it there and then!!!

Lisa

Well

We got the report today - I have got to say it is a very balanced review.

Not so scared about Monday now..........

Will let you know how we get on.

Forbsay

x

This makes me so angry! All reports are supposed to be circulated two weeks before these meetings. That gives everyone a chance to chase up anything they are unhappy with well before the meeting. It also ensures that, as a parent, you know all the relevent people have been consulted and invited and are either comming or have sent in paperwork. How the hell can you do any of that between yesterday and Monday? Quite simply you can't. SO, if they try and change anything and you don't like it, that is the reason to stop it all dead in it's tracks...simply state that you did not receive your copies in time and therefore wish to have the meeeting postponed until such time as you have been able to digest what you have been given.

Or, as one of our mums did - make sure she states that she would like the minutes to be recorded that this is to be considered an interim meeting because she was not able to properly consider all the information as it was not circulated within the statutory guidelines!

HelenL

At my dd's last annual review in the infants, 5 days before I still had not received any paperwork. This was probably because the school had no head and no senco. PP came with me to the meeting and made sure it was recorded in the minutes that I had not received the paperwork until such a date. She then made sure I was O.K. to carry on with the meeting. We had also found out (don't ask how :devil: ) about a spread sheet the juniors had prepared about the advantages and disadvantages of dd going into their school. I would have been devastated if I had not seen this piece of garbage before I went to the meeting. It is SO important that you know about everything that is likely to be discussed at the meeting otherwise you leave yourself in quite a vulnerable position.

Hi

The review went fine. School are very pleased with his progress. He has overcome quite alot of obstacles.

I was a proud mummy today.

Forbsay

x

Forbsay :thumbs: great news. So pleased to hear he is doing well. You should get a copy of the report the school sends off to the lea after a review and a copy of the minutes, don't know the time limit on that. Its good to have on paper all that was discussed.

I'm still waiting for a transition plan. my son is 19 and his statement took four years to complete, one wek before he left school at 16 and then it lapsed. I didnt even know he needed this until he was dx last year, I have asked about it but nothing heard about it since, I have been too busy just 24/7 coping since then and my connexions person hasnt come back to me for ages. Unless I chase for everything it just doensnt happen and that seems to be the way of it for everyone, I guess the services know that?

Hi

I have received the minutes and the extended report. On the whole, the report is glowing..................... I am so proud of him! In December, we were having major issues with him and I was so so worried about him!

Forbsay

x

Forbsay thats just brilliant :thumbs: you must be so pleased and relieved. Whats brought about the change is it something that the school are doing well?

Hi LKS

I think school are understanding him better. They are more aware of what makes him tick. They are also showing him the result of his negative behaviour ie no reward time which is helping as well.

One of the rewards he gets is his special book that i made for him - it is all his favourite pictures and i would recommend others to try this as it is really good.

If someone would have said to me that he would be starting to learn to read and write when he started school, I would never have believed them! He has also got a certificate to show that he can cross with the green cross code! he has overcame obstacles - just needs to do it in his own time and I have said this all along!

It took him a long time to settle and alot of mummy tears but he is getting there!

Forbsay

x