Sign in to follow this  
Flora

I.E.P's are they compulsory?

Hi all.

I've been trying to find out if I.E.P's are compulsory for a child on the special needs register???

I've only managed to find documentation which says they are recommended practice but nothing to state whether they have to be implemented.

Does anyone know??

Lauren

I think they are only compulsory at certain stages on the register :unsure:

You'll have to wait for someone else to clarify this, as it's been a couple of years since my son was in mainstream.

The Phasmod will know for sure! :lol:

Bid :bat:

Edited by bid

Just looked at all the references in the SEN code of practice. Whilst there are lots of references to IEPs and what they should be used for, all reference to them is couched in terms of "should" rather than "must".

I suspect that they are good practice, but not mandatory - which rather leads me to believe that schools can just pay lip service to our children's needs if they so wish.

:(

Just had another thought! Two in one day is a good day for me!! :P

My son's statement of special needs says in Part 1 that there "will be an individual education plan in place ......"

Presumably having put it in the statement - which is a legally binding document - it makes having an IEP a MUST rather than a SHOULD for my little fella.

Do other people's statements have this in too?

I suspect that they are good practice, but not mandatory - which rather leads me to believe that schools can just pay lip service to our children's needs if they so wish.

:(

Yes, I thought as much... Even worse though, I suspect my school will produce 'retrospective IEP's' and get away with it. :(:angry:

Neither of my children's statements mentions anything about I.E.P's :( In fact I never received a copy of any when my son was in year 3. However the I.E.P's I get for my dd now are discussed with me and signed by C.T L.S.A's Senco and of course myself, to say that I agree to all of the points made. Lauren I hope your school will not try to get away with retrospective I.E.P's although nothing would surprise me with schools. If they do produce some at least you can say they were never discussed with you. It would also be interesting to see what they would fill in in the review/observations bit and when certain targets were achieved :devil:

Have a look here. It doesn't come out and say they are compulsory exactly . However, as with all things connected to the CoP a school would have to have very good reasons for not maintaining an IEP once a child is on school action. IEP's set targets for assistance as well as being used to record achievements (a point sometimes forgotten!). This link gives flow charts explaining when an IEP might be needed. They are the first step towards addressing a need and if the school cannot show any progress then an IEP should kick in at that point. If there has been no progress and there isn't an IEP in place I would be asking directly why there isn't.

HTH

hi Lauren -

This is going to be very vague 'cos i can't remember the terminology, but there's this new sort of phrase that's just starting to go around for something very like an IEP that's not quite an IEP if YSWIM... You said the senco doesn't think IEP's are necessary (or whatever it was) but it would seem to beg the question 'well what do you do INSTEAD???' Some senco's/professionals really get off on knowing all the latest terminology and ###### (makes them feel clever, sad little wotsits!), and it may well be that he/she's playing those sorts of games with you(?)

Best of, hun...

BD :D

Phasmid,,, thank you for those links, very useful.

Baddad....The exact words of the HT/SENCO when I asked about IEP's were.... 'Oh, I don't do paperwork... I prefer to take a holistic approach.... one child who came here with a statement... it lay on the shelf and gathered dust and I sent all the money back to the LEA'..... those were her exact words....they are etched on my brain because I was utterly gobsmacked.

Lauren

Phasmid,,, thank you for those links, very useful.

Baddad....The exact words of the HT/SENCO when I asked about IEP's were.... 'Oh, I don't do paperwork... I prefer to take a holistic approach.... one child who came here with a statement... it lay on the shelf and gathered dust and I sent all the money back to the LEA'..... those were her exact words....they are etched on my brain because I was utterly gobsmacked.

Lauren

Sounds like you've got a live one, hun... very, very best....

I prefer to take a holistic approach too: taking in all pertinent factors and offering consideration thereof, I think you ought to wait for her up a dark alley one night :o and hope that her replacement is slightly more 'grounded' :lol::lol::lol:;)

L, P and cheese

I think you ought to wait for her up a dark alley one night :o and hope that her replacement is slightly more 'grounded' :lol::lol::lol:;)

L, P and cheese

I think that's a mission for the batcave super heroes. About time the lycra is dusted down, uber-thongs are donned and stilletto boots are polished and all prepared for more under cover mission to foil the nasty plans and deeds of terrible uncaring LEA officials and lazy HT/SENCOS etc etc blah blah. :ph34r:

I have heard a lot recently about "provision maps" which seem to be a sort of IEP.

Rhys had an IEP in Year 7, and now has something else, but not sure what it is - maybe a provision map - though noone's called it that.

Karen