Sign in to follow this  
justamom

P.E.

How do you children cope with P.E.????? He hates the smell,the noise and the excersise???

Keegan has not done PE much this year (due to his arthritis), considering that we have about 3weeks left of school I received a phone call about 10mins ago from the PE department wanting to know why Keegan has missed so much PE. Bit slow on the uptake dont you think and not very well informed!!!

The teacher said that they are getting reports from his class saying "why is he not doing PE" , which frankly is not really my concern my concern is for Keegan and his rheumatologist has said that he doe not do it at all because of the strain on his knees.... Why is there no communication between the teachers to let them know what the medical reports are, they dont have the first letter i sent in now i have to go thru the process of obtaining another letter from the drs....

ARGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Hi Justamom,

My daughters in yr 8 (she'll be 13 next month) and she's been excluded from PE (on recommendation from the consultant at CAHMS - because it was causing so many anxieties) for the past year - this was put in place prior to her diagnosis of AS.

Take care,

Jb

Justamum

I have a well used phrase i use for occasions like this on i say" You dont know yer ###### from yer ###### elbow" then i just put the phone down.

Youve enough to cope with without haveing to obtaine letters ect againe id tell them to sod of youve explained once and yer aint gonna bother againe so theyd better get there act together.

Hi my son has problems with PE and some new exercise class the whole school do together. However the school says he is taking part in them alot more as he used to sit out. They say he would sit out and watch how to do stuff then when ready he joined in and enjoyed it. For awhile I thought they were right cause he'd not complained about it for so long but just before they broke up for the hols whenever he complained about going to school, as he does every morning, he would say he hated gym and this other class. Then there is sports day which at the end of he said he enjoyed but during it he had major tantrum at coming last in race and then abandoned bean bag race after 2 steps and bag falling off I was really pleased as a member of staff helped him up and carried the bag on her head while she led him to the finish line so overall he did cope better with it than last year but I just wonder what its doing to his mental health to put him through all this...Ill be watching carefully next year..he's only just about to turn 7 so I' m bit worried about it as he gets older.

He is keen on the idea of football, only sport he mentions, and I've booked him a week at a football taster training session just 1hr a day mon-fri during the hols luckily we've just got funding for a link worker to help him take part in mainstream activities and she/he will go to it with him. I am a bit worried it will put him off all togther though but better to find out now maybe. I let u know how that goes later in the summer.

Lorraine

My Asd daughter (12) was also excused from doing PE on advice from ed pysch as she still is slow to get dressed/undressed , was always the last one left in changing room and was afraid she'd be locked in as they lock the room up afterwards, in addition to her actual isolation during PE.

You sound as though you've got enough on your plate without school hounding you when your son has legitimate reasons for not doing PE.

Take care >:D<<'>

My son has been out of PE for almost the whole year. I would like him to do some kind of physical exercise because he tends to gain weight and at home he just sits all day. The other problem that I find about not doing PE is that he has to sit on a bench during the lesson while his classmates are playing games. For his self-esteem that has not been very good. I think this is not so bad with girls, I also didn't do much PE when I was a school girl because I'm asthmatic but I never got teased for it, instead boys think that not being able to play games is uncool and my DS comes back home after every PE day feeling very low. It's not that he wants to play, it's that his classmates tell him all the time that he's not good at sports that makes him feel bad. I 've also found communications with the schools regarding PE very insufficient. It's unbelievable that yous son's school lost your first letter and now they ask you why he's not been doing PE ! !

Take care

>:D<<'>

Curra

It's not that he wants to play, it's that his classmates tell him all the time that he's not good at sports that makes him feel bad. I 've also found communications with the schools regarding PE very insufficient. It's unbelievable that yous son's school lost your first letter and now they ask you why he's not been doing PE ! !

Take care

>:D<<'>

Curra

So true curra what you say, the reason they are phoning me up is because of the kids in the class making comments. Keegan did go down to help out in the PE department on friday, he was ok he said but did not like the way the teacher spoke to him. He said he spoke very slowly to me mom like i was a "thicko", i suspect the teacher has found out about his AS and not sure how to respond and spoken to him really slowly... Cant win, at least its a start

My son is in Year 8. They split the children into "good boys" "good girls" and "the rest" (they don't tell them that, but it is pretty obvious!). He is in the rest, but is actually not too bad at some things. This is quite good in that he is one of the better ones in his group. I talked to the school about the fact that he might not want to do some of the sports, and that he likes to watch first and then decide if he wants to join in. He has done everythign except some of the rugby (he doesn't like wearing the football boots).

One of the teachers is a bit of a pain, he tells R off for wearing his grey socks instead of changing into white ones (which is partly due to the extra changing time and partly cos he hates how they feel). I told R to ignore him, and asked the Head of PE if it really was such a big deal, if he was actually joining in. He said it was OK. Apparently this teacher told them that grey/black socks mean their feet get hotter and they will get Athlete's foot - not sure if this is based on science or desperation!

Karen

My son doe not like PE because of the sensory issues. Occasionly he will do the lesson, other times he will just curl into a ball in the hall and not move, look or listen.

Sports day are a big no. On these days he just does not go into school at all. The school have seen how anxious he gets with PE and sports days so we came to the decision for him to be kept at home to reduce his distress and anxiety.

Jen

The single biggest frustration with school this year has been problems with communication between staff regarding Ben's needs.Sport was one area where it was a problem .I don't have an answer but at least you have company.Karen