Sign in to follow this  
Samsam

Noise Sensitivity

Hello, Jack (6) suffers with terrible noise sensitivity just thought I would post to see if anyone else/s children have this too. We struggle to do small things like hoover and god forbid we have to go near roadworks.

Next Sunday we are off on holiday to Mallorca and the town we go to has a huge fiesta every year, one of the nights they have a massive fireworks display and he hates it, well its the noise he hates rather than the whole thing, last year we said come on then lets go home and cried even more because he wanted to watch it but not hear it IYKWIM so this year we have bought an MP3 player and were taking it with us, that way he can watch them whilst listening to the theme of thomas the tank engine :lol:

Just though I would post to see if its just my Jack

I think it's quite common. There are only some (rather odd) noises my lil bat really hates, but her big problem is layers of sound. ie, Someone talking on the phone, the telly on and an appliance going! She struggles more as she becomes tired.

Good idea with the MP3 player!

Anna x

No, not just your son. Our dd is very sensitive to noises. Hand dryers (slowly getting used to them), hoovers (a big no no for alot of years...now shes ok so long as she can shut the door), telephone (would scream hysterically when it rang), singing (me, especially, she can't bear it.....erm, maybe thats my voice though), whistling (she will tell peeps to stop it when we are out), music (she can tolerate it, but isn't overly keen). Good luck with the hols and the MP3 player. Take care.

Hi

I think it's quite common and it's not just loud noises. My son hates the sound of running water. Consequently he will only wash one hand at a time as he uses the other to cover the ear that he can't clamp to his shoulder to shut out the sound! Then he swaps ears and hands :lol: He loves fireworks and the bangs don't seem to bother him at all.

Have you tried using ear defenders? You can buy them from any DIY or hire-type shop. We often use them if his little sister is kicking up a fuss at the dinner table or when we are all cooped up in the car. They look a little strange but who cares if it saves the childs sanity!

ohf!

Sean 14 reacts to unfamiliar noises especially intrusive ones i.e. phones rinigng, people talking loudly, babies crying, but he has sensitive hearing and hears things that I really have to listen to. He's also sensitive to bright light and heat- doesn't enjoy the summer Oh! and he has an acute sense of smell.

Hi

yes my son is very sensitive to sound, hoovers,hair dryers, food mixers even shavers and I also have sensitive hearing I remember going to that millenium dome and the music was so loud I had to put my hands over my ears when I looked around no-one else seemed bothered, (except my older son who I was embarrasing apparently) joking aside it really hurts.

There is a condition called Hypercussus which causes sound sensitivity

Perry

Hi, my youngest is noise sensitive... he's much better now (he's 9) but when he was younger it was a problem. He still has a few things that he doesn't like but on the whole he seems to be getting better as he gets older.

Lauren

Hi Matthew doesn't like too much noise like when I am the phone he just goes wild, he doesn't like crowds/too noisy, this is when he scream/shreaks and goes hyper! he isn't too bad with the hoover and things like that thankfully, he is sensitive to smells and light too. yes it can be very normal to be extra sensitive to things/noise etc, comes part of being autistic.

When I was a child I used to scream the place down if I heard the hoover. My mum used to take me for a drive until I fell asleep, then leave me in the car outside while she hoovered. Course, you'd get arrested for leaving a child outside in a car now, but the good news is that I can tolerate it a lot better now, and even do my own hoovering (but only when my husband is out as he can't tolerate the noise :rolleyes: )

Yep, our son hates noise especially now the toilet so, as said earlier, we have put a pair of ear defenders in the bathroom for him to wear. Happy flushing.. :thumbs:

Edited by Siadwell

my DD's the same,hand dryers,lawnmower,washing machine,some traffic eg lorries,buses,hairdryers and a non mecanical one is birds in the garden,as soon as she hears one squawking or singing she covers her ears straight away!!!

Hi Samsam,

My daughter has problems with all kinds of noises and they aren't necessarily loud ones. She hates the beeping of pedestrian crossings and any sounds of a similar frequency (digital watches, microwaves, for example).

She also, inexplicably, hates the sound of the key in our front door - which is why she always appears irritable when I come home. I've only recently realised it's nothing to do with me at all!

She says the sounds physically hurt.

K x

Hello, Jack (6) suffers with terrible noise sensitivity just thought I would post to see if anyone else/s children have this too. We struggle to do small things like hoover and god forbid we have to go near roadworks.

Next Sunday we are off on holiday to Mallorca and the town we go to has a huge fiesta every year, one of the nights they have a massive fireworks display and he hates it, well its the noise he hates rather than the whole thing, last year we said come on then lets go home and cried even more because he wanted to watch it but not hear it IYKWIM so this year we have bought an MP3 player and were taking it with us, that way he can watch them whilst listening to the theme of thomas the tank engine :lol:

Just though I would post to see if its just my Jack

HI Sam Sam

our 6yr old is the same, we have just bought some ear defenders from a web site, they are just for kids and he seems to like them. Not tried them out yet, but got them because we are going to Isle of Man to see his beloved steam trains and last time we tried in north wales he just freeked out at the noise, so hopefully these will work

web site where I got them is www.safetysupplies.co.uk cost was 20.00 but if they work its money well spent

HI Sam Sam

our 6yr old is the same, we have just bought some ear defenders from a web site, they are just for kids and he seems to like them. Not tried them out yet, but got them because we are going to Isle of Man to see his beloved steam trains and last time we tried in north wales he just freeked out at the noise, so hopefully these will work

web site where I got them is www.safetysupplies.co.uk cost was 20.00 but if they work its money well spent

Isn't it funny, Jacks beloved is airplanes and he gets stupidly excited every sunday morning cause he knows we will be going to the airport, yet when one takes off he hides his head under my arm. Yet when we say its time to go home he sobs cause he is so upset.