Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Our cat is missing: UPDATE - FOUND

She hasn't been seen for a week now and she doesn't usually roam. We've been out to look for her but fear she may have come to the end of her 9 lives as she was old (about 15) and quite frail. She lost an eye three years ago and recently has been losing sight in the other. She also had heart and kidney problems and recently she's been losing weight. We're on the edge of a large field and woodland so she could have gone anywhere. I just hope if she has died out there somewhere it was something like a heart attack and fairly quick. :(

She's been with us for 12 years, we got her when L was 5, and she's moved house with us twice, so it feels very strange to be without her, even though we suspected after the last trip to the vet that she was on borrowed time.

AND we go on holiday tomorrow but my neighbour who normally looks after her for us will keep an eye out for her - just in case.

When I was young we had a cat of similar age who just disappeared towards the end of its life. Is this the way of cats, I wonder? :huh:

Our old cat used to lay down in the road (quiet cul de sac) and people used to knock on our door to tell us.It

tickled us at the time!! But until she died I could never understand why people got upset when their pets died............Oh boy! I do know now.

Owner of two cats the youngest Twanny 3months. The name would need a lot of explaining!

Kathryn

Sorry to hear about your cat. My heart hopes he is OK but my head tells me he may not be.

Our cat passed away on Saturday at the age of (about) 15. He arrived in our back garden as a stray 13 summers ago and never left. He was with us before all of our children, and has mogved house with us twice. As far as we can tell he died peacefully in his sleep just by the front door. The house does seem empty without him.

Simon

Oh Kathryn

Im so sorry to hear about your cat. They become such a huge part of our lives.

You never know, she may just turn up. We had 2 little cats when we first married. One of them suddenly disappeared and was missing for a couple of weeks. He suddenly reappeared mewing for his tea one evening, we had no idea where on earth he had been.

Love, Lorainex

Thanks all,

Simon, sorry to hear about your cat. :( One does get used to having them around. I've lived the majority of my life with at least one cat around.

At the moment we are playing down the whole situation - my fear is that if L realises the cat is missing she'll refuse to leave the house until she turns up. :o We leave tomorrow morning and we really need this holiday.

Keyholekate - love the avatar. :wub: My first cat looked exactly like that. The one we have now is a tortoiseshell - so many colours and speckles and blotches on her that you wouldn't even notice she has only one eye.

K x

>:D<<'> Hope she turns up before you go. Good to hear your neighbour is there just incase. Have you been packing etc ? Just I know everytime I looked after my old neighbours cat when they were packing she'd up and leave and come back after they went. She knew what was going on I think. Edited by lil_me

Hi K...

Will keep everything crossed, but if you go away tomorrow not knowing try not to let it worry you for a week...

Been a long time, but I've kept cats in the past too: First ones were Pooh Cat and Stink Kitten (don't ask)

but then we had four in one hit named Gus, George, Henry and Charlie after characters from drop the dead donkey... our last was 'Dibbly the Christmas Cat/He's not too thin and he's not too fat/He's Dibbly, and he's OK/And he always leaves his litter in the litter tray'...

Sorry... I'll get me coat...

Have WONDERFUL hols, okay?

L&P

BD :D>:D<<'>

I agree with you Lil me that cats are really clever and can sense when something's about to happen. There have been a few comings and goings in our house recently but there's always been someone here. She's been a bit disoriented generally over the past few weeks. Perhaps she will wander back at the end of August, who knows? I still think her biological clock may have just finally wound down.

Her name is Stella - don't ask - she came with the name and we couldn't be bothered to change it. :rolleyes:

Oh well, see you in a week's time.

K x

Guest hallyscomet

Maybe like you said she may be a bit disorientated. Pehaps you could do a letterbox drop or put a few signs up around the neighbourhood. :(

Hope she turns up before you get back >:D<<'>

H. :(

:):):)

Well it seems reports of her death were greatly exaggerated. The little so and so turned up at the local RSPCA centre - and we went to get her today. :thumbs: We're a bit stunned and L is over the moon. After a month we had given up hope because of her health problems.

This morning a neighbour said she'd seen a notice about a found cat, fitting Stella's description (not too many one eyed torties around, I guess :) ). She'd been with a local family in the meantime who remamed her "Molly", and they'd been feeding her for a while before taking her to the RSPCA last week. The people at the centre were lovely, she'd been examined by a vet and well looked after for the week and they were glad to see a happy ending. Would you believe, they charged nothing for her upkeep and treatment ( we gave them a donation).

And they microchipped her for us so we have a better chance of finding her if she goes walkies again. (Worth doing if you haven't already, it's quick and easy and doesn't cost a lot).

K x

Edited by Kathryn

So pleased your cat came back. Cats are so independent. I had one a few years ago that disappeared for nearly a year. Then one day he just appeared back at the door as if nothing had happened. A few months later he disappeared again. I just like to think he found a home he liked better. Probably one without pesky dogs!

I agree with you Lil me that cats are really clever and can sense when something's about to happen.

Yeah, my cats always know when I am about to feed them - they all magically appear as soon as the sachet of food is torn open - even if they've been out all day. I think they must telepathically tell each other "tea is ready".

Really glad your cat came home. >:D<<'>

Thanks everyone, :)

Tomorrow we are having a home visit to see if we will be suitable to have a rescue cat! :D

You won't be disappointed. Cats make the best pets :thumbs::wub:

I still can't believe she's back. I was just congratulating myself for helping my children so smoothly through the grief process...

I expect we will have to face the real loss one day. She's still a severely disabled old lady, but it's great to have her back, for however long that is. Big dilemma now - do we keep her indoors or allow her out? :huh:

K x

Big dilemma now - do we keep her indoors or allow her out? :huh:

K x

Definitely let her out if she still wants to go out. We adopted an old and poorly cat a few years ago and because we lived in a top floor flat she was a house cat. She was always grumpy, aggressive and very poorly (cost us a fortune in vets bills) After about 18 months we moved to a house, which had a small enclosed patio, which meant the cat could go out. She was transformed! Became so much happier and healthier she was lovely to have around. It was clear to us with hindsight that she had been very depressed at being confined to barracks, and this had made her ill. If you adopt a cat from Battersea now they make you promise that you will fit a cat flap and let the cat come and go at will, so I think the whole professional thinking at the moment is that it is cruel to keep them in if they want to go out.

Hi Kathryn,

So pleased you have her home, your children must be overwhelmed with joy.

I was told by a vet when they wander like this, to put butter underneath their paws and keep them inside for a couple of days.

By putting the butter on their paws they will sit down and lick it off and do a complete clean of themselves removing any scent of where they have been. Otherwise they will go wandering again, looking for that place.

We moved a bit with two Burmese cats and this is how we were advised to readjust them.

Good for anyone with a new cat, or one that wanders too much.

Trick is to keep them inside for a few day. Microchip is peace of mind.

I love happy endings. :)>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

All the best

Two songs from one cat:

The cat crept in/crept back out again (Mud)

One eyed cat, peepin' in a seafood store (Bill Hailey)

Glad she's home

L&P

BD >:D<<'>

Should be getting our rescue cat this weekend! :clap:

Boho :dance:

:thumbs::wub:

Start saving for the vet bills though. :ph34r:

Our wanderer seems happy and not inclined to disappear again, although her spirt of adventure hasn't been dampened - this morning I saw her in her favourite place, happily washing herself - on top of the neighbour's aviary. :lol:

K x