Sign in to follow this  
hedders

webster stratton programme

Some previous threads on this ... the words webster stratton should be highlighted as you scroll down :)

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...bster++stratton

Looks like it's not a course that's necessarily suitable re ASD :( ... IMO :blink:

this just confirms my views on it, it makes me so angry that just because i have concerns and the school cant see it i should go on this course, my dd gets anxious she not naughty i know exactly how to deal with her anxities if only the school could too, if they listen of course.

i refused and this has been documented on her records,

hello

i have been on this course

im now on another one called parent child game....which is very similar but on a one to one thing rather than a group.

its maddening when your not being listened to and they presume its your parenting skills................ive had 5 years of this lot...............and now im getting it with the school................

i decieded to attend the course because i didnt want them saying oh well we have offered you some help but u didnt take it.......................

i will admit it helped me because it is a very thorough course....but it dont take away the fact its a disability issue and not just a parenting one.

If you have read the links then you will know that Webster Stratton is a BIG issue with me. However more and more Authorities are taking this on as a one size fits all parenting class. I have even heard that Wales - yes the whole of - is going to pay lots of money to make this their intervention programme for families :(

It's not designed specifically for families living with ASD although they do say that everyone will gain something from this. They also say that just meeting other families in the same position as yours help - find a local support group it has the same affect!

The problem is that many Authorities are now marking it down that the families are moaning but not willing to try and put things right. This really worries me because it's a way of putting the blame onto the parents.

The last time I checked there was only the bog standard WS course operating in the UK with no one trained to deliver this to ASD families.

I am busy bashing NAS's ear about this but we could do with about another 3000 parents doing likewise :(

Oracle

This is a big issue with me too. My biggest worry is that some parents are being penalised for refusing to go on this course.

I would advise any parent in this position to contact the NAS for advice.

Nellie xx

re parenting course - whats happening with me is slightly different but short version(well I'll try ;)) after 2 yr wait S got assessment from family support worker, not sure why its not full fledged social worker but she says its same thing and at least its something!) anyway only reason I went for SS help was to get funding so he can attend specific play groups for ASD kids (still nowt doing but maybe Oct holidays he'll get a place-fingers crossed) anyway she isn't assessing me at all apparently but she has asked if she can do a little parenting course with me just one on one me and her - I asked if it was geared towards parents of kids with ASD and she said no as if that was a good thing - previous comments of "oh he's not really disabled though" (she works for the children with disabilities team -so why does she think she's here assessing at all?!) give me pause to question all her motives but then on the other hand she did get him a linkworker for a few hours for summer hols and has said she will try to get him a place at playgroup for october!! I'm very dubious though I'm sure there are things I would learn about basic parenting that I don't know but then again there are things I already know about that I would do under 'normal' circumstances but which I won't use because for Stephen it would be unsuitable....grrh I really can't get my head around why she thought it was a good thing it wasn't geared towards ASD kids when that is who I am parenting!! I think also she'll just tell me stuff that is good practise but which I just personally can't implement and it will just make me feel like a worse parent than I already do sometimes!

I can say no, she says but I'm not good at saying no either and either way I'll be worrying about doing or not doing it for ages to come cause that is just what I do when I have any decision to make. I really wish at the moment I could become a real certiefied hermit and just avoid people full stop. I never took S to school yesterday cause he was tired and I just couldn't deal with seeing anyone cause monday was emotionally draining and confusing because my sister who lost her eldest daughter 2.5yrs ago to leukemia and she told us how my other niece will have very shortly lived longer than her big sister and I hadn't realised this though I knew it was coming up to that point and anyway she had a big talk with us(me and my mum) about the way she is feeling and how unmeaning too I've probably made her feel worse because of soemthing I said which basical has totally depressed me but then I will never feel as bad as she does so I can't complain. Then there was a school pta thingie and folk where just weird with us and because we didn't win anything Stephen was trying to grab another kids prizes. Think that'll be the first and last one of those we attend!

I'm being a bit wallowy I'll be better in the morning I really must force us to school however I feel. It's just so simple to close the door and bascially hide in here and shut the rest out!

Lorraine

You are allowed to feel wallowy >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

When you feel better post again about what you feel re these parenting classes being given by someone who has not got a clue :wacko: Sounds like someone who thinks that with that little bit extra input from someone who knows better than us they can sort out the ASD so that we realise it's not such a problem after all.

Oracle

Edited by oracle

Im trained in delivering the webster stratton course and in my opinion its not ideally suited to parents of children with ASD, but more to parents who are unsure of how to gain control by firming up boundaries. descriptive commenting is a big part of the course and I can imagine this would drive some asd children to distraction

I'm quite a fan of Webster-Stratton - but here, it's simply missing the point. The point isn't that you are a poor parent, it's that your child has special needs. NAS programmes are much more appropriate.

Can you say, perhaps in writing, that you are not refusing the course, but that until your child has been properly assessed, in view of the suspected ASD, you cannot judge whether it would be appropriate. There is wide opinion that certain aspects of Webster-Stratton are unsuitable for children with ASD, and you would like to learn precisely how the authority has assessed the safety and effectiveness of this course when delivered to children with ASD.

You'll get fobbed off, but it might buy you some thinking time whilst you fight for that referral!

Elanor

Feeling much better now thanks for the posts just one of 'those' moments!- apologies for side tracking the post by the way.

I agree with what you said Oracle - I reckon people with even the best of intentions just do not get it! I'm also going to 'try' and explain this when I next see the lady in question and if feeling brave enough tackle her on the 'disability' issue.

That sounds like sound advice Elanor and helped me decide what to do too.

Lorraine

This course was recommended to me by a SW who has a son with ASD :o

She said it's a brilliant course :o Oracle knows who i mean.

I had the SW out yesterday telling me i'm not displining both my children enough, that they are both out of control and it will get worse as they get older, but H hasn't got much understanding - things he can understand i make him stop and C is very hyper and hits but like i said to her i want to find out why she's doing it first and i do tell her off but i'm expected to do time out with her when I have H killing himself laughing at her because she's crying, it's so complicated and Sw doesn't understand how much H's behaviour can affect her and with her having HLLD and posibly AS. I know i give in to her/make allowences but to me when you have nearly lost a child you do spoil them a bit.

I'm waffling now :rolleyes:

Clare