krystaltps

My brave boy

C and the twins were helping me get the shopping out of the boot today. I lifted out the last thing, which was hubby's new computer for Xmas and reached up to give the boot door a big yank to close it. Because of the computer box, I didn't see that C had stuck his head back into the boot... well, you guessed it - OUCH! He didn't cry out or start crying, even though I knew from how hard I'd yanked the boot door it must have hit him pretty hard. So I asked if he was ok (he said he was) and I warned him about staying away from car doors and boots. It was dark (tea-time), so it wasn't until we got inside that I saw blood literally squirting out of the top of his head and pouring down his face. It was only when he saw the blood that he started getting upset. It looked horrific, and the twins started howling at the sight of him (I felt like joining them).

So we headed straight back out and down to the hospital (one of the joys of island life - it's only 2 minutes away, and you're almost guaranteed to get seen right away). The nurse on duty knows C and has dealt with him before (with his allergies), so she was really good with him. The doctor glued his head back together, and did all the head injury tests. C was really upset and frightened about all the fussing and cleaning and glue, but he was very, very brave. He was dizzy and sick as well, so I need to keep a close eye on him tonight and check him every 2 hours once he's sleeping. After an hour, they let us come back home (once he started demanding his dinner), but told us to come back if we were at all worried (another joy of island life - they won't keep you in if it can be avoided, as we live so close).

He's been acting fine since, apart from a headache due to the egg-sized bump on his head.

The nurse and doctor kept commenting on how brave he was being, but he genuinely didn't really seem to be feeling much pain and was upset only because of the blood and the threat of stitches and being sick. If it had been me, I'd have been rolling about on the ground in agony.

I've always known his perception of pain was not the average, but this seems pretty extreme.

Anyone else's kids have different perception of pain?

OMG poor kid, I too would have rolling around in agony and probably have fainted too !!!! My C is the opposite the smallest thing and he's swinging from the rafters.

Hope you have a peaceful night and that he wakes up tomorrow non the worse for wear. Bless him and poor you bet you felt awful for slamming the boot on his head, a shock all round.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

Yes - my ds doesn't seem to feel much pain. DD (nt) is quite the opposite.

My dd once shut her thumb in the car door. I ran all the way round from the drivers side to open the door for her to find it locked - ran back got the keys ran back unlocked it and opened door only to shut it in again when I didn't quite open the door fully and it shut straight back up again. :o Ever since she's held it against me! :lol:

Poor C - hope he recovers ok. He has been so brave.

Thanks peeps. Don't think I'll sleep tonight, keep checking him every 20 minutes.

Clare - I felt so guilty that I have relented on my mid-December-rule and put all the Xmas decorations up (apart from the real tree in the front room, which gets delivered next weekend).

Kate - oh, poor DD and poor you. I suspect this one may be held against me forever more too: "Do you remember that time you shut my head in the boot, mum?"

Yes - my ds doesn't seem to feel much pain. DD (nt) is quite the opposite.

My dd once shut her thumb in the car door. I ran all the way round from the drivers side to open the door for her to find it locked - ran back got the keys ran back unlocked it and opened door only to shut it in again when I didn't quite open the door fully and it shut straight back up again. :o Ever since she's held it against me! :lol:

Poor C - hope he recovers ok. He has been so brave.

Oy,

A similar thing happened to me when I was younger. Those central locking doors, my dad shut my thumb in the car door. I remember screaming non stop for about 5hrs, thumb turning completely black, nail fell off. Surprisingly no break though.

Heads bleed like nowhere else. My AS DD once fell off the arm of a wooden rockingchair (her cousins idea) and hit her head on a socket on the wall. The blood shot right up the wall. Had to call an ambulance as DH was at work. She didn't make a sound and I was told off by a doctor for letting her play while waiting to be seen. :unsure:

She was only 3 so they didn't want to stitch her head and cause her distress so they tied the hair either side of the cut together pulling the hole closed. By the time her hair had grown the cut was healed and I snipped the knot out. Genius idea I thought.

I hope your brave soldier is OK and you get some sleep.

My eldest doesn't seem to feel pain much. I remember him coming in once, with a gash on his hand bleeding badly and he only came in beacuse the blood was going on the thing he was working on.

B has a bath every night, and several years ago...

' Why aren't you in the bath?'

' I can't get my trousers off, they're stuck'

To his leg, with the blood that had gushed, dried and glued his black trousers to him.

I put him in the bath with his trousers on, once soaked they came off to reveal a slash down his thigh that was truly horrible. Took him to casualty, he came back glued together and taped with orders to let the leg rest for a couple of days before moving around on it.

' Why didn't you say something?'

He'd thrown his bag over a wall in a temper and then climbed the wall to get it back. There was scrap iron on the other side.

' I was going to tell you, but then I forgot'

So for around four hours, he'd forgotten that his thigh was cut open.

The feeling of incompetent, unobservant parenting took a lot longer to wear off for me, but now I regard every birthday he makes as a personal triumph. He still has a bath every night, and I do a damage check! :lol:

Krystaltips,

I hope he is feeling better today and you got some sleep!

my dd feels pain differently too, although she has swung from not feeling much pain to feeling it a great deal now.

my nephew who has AS also has a different pain threshhold too, Years ago when he was only 3 his mum and dad went on holiday and me and my boyfriend were looking after him and his older sister, well we dropped my sister and bro-in-law at the airport and came back to collect the kids from their other aunt to find my nephew lying on the couch with a sore leg.

His sister and cousin had been playing tug of war with him and as he fell he hurt his leg.

I was in a rush to get home as we had left their dog at home so i asked him if he could walk and he said yes.

He limped to the car leaning on me and by the time we got to his house (20 min) he looked really pale i asked him if he wanted carried and he nodded.

Well i carried him into the house and upstairs to his mums bed.

I asked him if i could check his leg and could barely get his trousers off (jogging trousers).

His leg was very swollen.

I called the doctor who came out and said we need to get him to hospital. while looking at me as if i was a child beater he said his femur is broken! this is the hardest bone in the body how did this happen?

I explained and he said he found that very hard to believe!

Anyway we got him to hospital and it was only there that he cried and this was the worst sound i have ever heard to this day. he ended up in traction and in hospital for 4 weeks and he regressed a lot in this time .it was at this point that the whole family started to accept that he may be on the spectrum.(my sister and i already had these thoughts as did his nursery teacher). His mum and dad flew home on the first flight available.

Sorry for such a long story but i just thought i would tell you that it is easily done and we all still feel bad about this 13years on.

He is now 16 and last year he was knocked down walking home from the football, he was up in the air and landed badly but no bones broken, thankfully .

Again he did not cry, although it again made him withdraw for a while.

I hope you have an easy day today, and dont feel too bad.

Nic

Thanks everyone - I stayed up most of last night, with C in my bed. He slept like a baby and had fallen asleep without his melatonin, so that kept me worried. But he got up this morning full of the joys of life and he has tried everything in his power to get off school tomorrow - which lets me know that he's absolutely fine.

Nic, your poor wee nephew. I remember when I broke my arm as a kid, and I didn't shut up about it. My parents thought I was just making a fuss, so I went and got my sister's guide scarf and tied it around my arm like a sling. It was only later in the day when we visited my gran in hospital that one of the nurses saw my arm and said to my parents that they should take me to the children's hospital for an x-ray. They have felt guilty about that ever since - and I still take pleasure in casting it up :shame: .

Bard - that sounds really sore. But I suppose we just aren't in the habit of checking our children's bodies for massive cuts when they get in from school.

It's a bit worrying that they don't feel pain in the usual way, don't you think?

Viper - that's an ingenious solution, tying the hair. I told C about it and he now wishes he had long hair :rolleyes: . He had been in a panic about stitches as DD had informed him that he would probably need them.

Anyway, C's done not too badly out of it - his Gran gave him a fiver today, I put the Xmas decs up early, and I've decided to add a PSP to his Xmas list. When he casts it up in years to come, I can retort with "But I got you a PSP though...". I know it's a bit extravagant, but it was me wielding the boot door.

So glad to hear C is OK today, I bet that was a very long night for you.

OMG the stories above are so scary, think I am glad I have the opposite with my lad, though sometimes the enormous fuss he makes , makes me question whether I should dial 999 or not, luckily its usually just a scratch !

Clare x x x

C and the twins were helping me get the shopping out of the boot today. I lifted out the last thing, which was hubby's new computer for Xmas and reached up to give the boot door a big yank to close it. Because of the computer box, I didn't see that C had stuck his head back into the boot... well, you guessed it - OUCH! He didn't cry out or start crying, even though I knew from how hard I'd yanked the boot door it must have hit him pretty hard. So I asked if he was ok (he said he was) and I warned him about staying away from car doors and boots. It was dark (tea-time), so it wasn't until we got inside that I saw blood literally squirting out of the top of his head and pouring down his face. It was only when he saw the blood that he started getting upset. It looked horrific, and the twins started howling at the sight of him (I felt like joining them).

So we headed straight back out and down to the hospital (one of the joys of island life - it's only 2 minutes away, and you're almost guaranteed to get seen right away). The nurse on duty knows C and has dealt with him before (with his allergies), so she was really good with him. The doctor glued his head back together, and did all the head injury tests. C was really upset and frightened about all the fussing and cleaning and glue, but he was very, very brave. He was dizzy and sick as well, so I need to keep a close eye on him tonight and check him every 2 hours once he's sleeping. After an hour, they let us come back home (once he started demanding his dinner), but told us to come back if we were at all worried (another joy of island life - they won't keep you in if it can be avoided, as we live so close).

He's been acting fine since, apart from a headache due to the egg-sized bump on his head.

The nurse and doctor kept commenting on how brave he was being, but he genuinely didn't really seem to be feeling much pain and was upset only because of the blood and the threat of stitches and being sick. If it had been me, I'd have been rolling about on the ground in agony.

I've always known his perception of pain was not the average, but this seems pretty extreme.

Anyone else's kids have different perception of pain?

Krystaltps,

out of every autie and aspie am have ever lived with,there has only been one hyper sensitive to pain [the horrible aspie lady who had to move away from]-she would be after the pain killers for every little problem,but she was fine with burning her skin off in scalding hot water.

Am have bitten through tongue without realising it,don't feel pain from anything that affects the outside of the body including punches,bangs,cuts etc,but am do feel 'inside caused pain' such as migraines or trigeminal neuralgia.

It's one of the possible bonuses of ASD-in some ways because the person might be able to just get on with whatever they were doing,when with anyone else they might have to rest from it [depending on what it is].

decided to add a PSP to his Xmas list.

Does he like the Wipeout games?

I remember a time when Louis was around 4/5 years old. He had gone quiet. I went to check where he was to find him in the kitchen. With a sharp knife in his hand trying to cut holes in a cardboard box - and chop his finger off. The kitchen was like a blood bath. Cleaned it all up, and took him to the Doctors surgery where the nurse cleaned the wound properly and steri-stripped the wound together (in the wrong place for a stitch apparently). He didn't cry once.

He also took it upon himself around the same time to plug my iron in, and start ironing the carpet - and his hand. Again, no tears.

I can assure you that since then, I looked at security in my house - knives are-were kept out of reach (he's too big, and climbs to get things now to keep totally out of his reach), as are other things he can hurt himself on. We also have regular learning lessons where I try and teach him how to use things correctly and safely.

However, he can also be totally the opposite - if anyone so much as touches him with a little finger, he can go through the roof!

Can't Win!

Tux, what you said about being able to feel "inside caused pain" makes total sense. C obviously wasn't really affected by the actual impact of the door or by the deep cut, but his headache (which I suppose is inside) has bothered him on and off since Saturday. Infact, when I come to think about it - headache is about the only thing he ever complains about.

Thanks for your insight on this one.

Fiorelli, I know what you mean by the stark contrast, C is a bit like that too - he finds it very hard to tolerate light or tickly touches. He's better now at not lashing out, but he can still get a bit wild if he doesn't see it coming.