Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

I've just started Love You, Mean It.

It's been writtan by four women, who became very good friends and supported each other, after they were widowed when their husbands were killed on 9/11.

Certainly makes you count your blessings.

Edited by Bagpuss

Started "Priestess of the White" last night by "Trudi Canavan". Like most books I read it is a fantasy book. Brief plot is there is a girl with magical powers. She gets trained by a powerful group. She then becomes one of the 5 leaders with exceptionally strong powers. Then they are attacked by an unknown force of black wizards. They have to form many treaties to get the help they need to stand any chance of surviving. Can't say much about it yet but the prolog seemed to be the sort of thing I should like. Have a while before the next book I'm really anticipating is released. That's George R R Martins 'A Dance with Dragons' book 5 of a Song of Ice and Fire. That series really has a complex plot. Lord of the Rings still goes down as my all time favourite though. :)

EDIT: Whats the chance of two of us mentioning books from the same series in two consecutive posts both writing them at the same time. :) It certainly is a good series but it is a complex tale. Lots of characters and different strands going on at the same time.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

i useed 2 be a reel bookk worm before i had the kids but never seem 2 get the time 2 read now i think thats something im goin 2 start doin makin time for me and a good book!!

donnax

EDIT: Whats the chance of two of us mentioning books from the same series in two consecutive posts both writing them at the same time. :) It certainly is a good series but it is a complex tale. Lots of characters and different strands going on at the same time.

That is funny.

I'm not allowed to read :( Seriously, dd grabs anything like that from me and flings it in the kitchen bin! :rolleyes: Not even a catalogue or leaflet or anything!

Yeah I'm meant to be reading books on behaviour management as well. Better pick one of them up again tomorrow as well. No point wasting anytime between now and starting another course. Well still have to have some free time and to relax though.

I have bought a lovely new book, its so nice when they are so clean and straight, it wont last, but the book is in aid of my new resolution to start running its a stretching book, now its really not as boring as your sighing here, its called the anatomy of stretching and it has excellent illistrations of the muscles that are stretched and you can really understand what areas are been focused on, I have learnt a lot already and beginning to understand why I cant motivate to run, its because I need to learn to understand my body first, and in the past was given bad stretching excersices, now I can do stretches that wont hurt, I get really tence in my shoulders and neck and now I can do some spersific work on that now, its something I am actually enjoying to learn.

My other book is the AA learn your theory driving test, its an excellent sleeping aid, after half an hour I am asleep, but it is a really good theory book for that kind of learning.

I dont really read books as in storys, I just cant concentrate long enough so I tend to go for books for young readers, must admit I havent bought a book for a while that is just a story book.

JsMum

Two on the go at the mo...

James Lee Burke: The Tin Roof Blowdown

Steven King: Lisey's Story.

What do you think of Lisey's Story BD? My book group did it a while back & I'm afraid I gave up on it, just couldnt get into it.

At the mo I'm re reading Northern Lights, having just seen The Golden Compass.

At the mo I'm re reading Northern Lights, having just seen The Golden Compass.

That's another good series of books. Though found the film disappointing as it strayed so much from the book. Starting to appreciate how faithful Lord of the Rings was in many ways now though still miss old Tom Bombadil. That merry old fellow. Have a short story called Lyra's Oxford to read at sometime. Was also pleased to see he is working on another book called the Book of Dust though it isn't due for release for a long while yet.

I'd just read it so everything was plainly obvious wrong and hence annoyed me. Lord of the Rings I just knew too well. The changes in the Harry Potter films never worried me but that's probably because I don't know the books as well. The basilisk in the films (and books - HP) however really annoys my bro as it doesn't match the one described in the legends.

"The Life of Pi" by Jann Martell at the moment. Have read it before (a couple of years ago) but liked it so much I'm re-reading it.

I love that book too. In fact i bought my friend it for Christmas. He looked at the shape of the parcel nd said 'Oh, it's not a bottle of whiskey then!' Some people :rolleyes:

I saw the stage adaptation of Life of Pi....fantastic!

It's fantastic... bit of a slow starter, but un-put-downable once the story really starts.

I'm in the habit of watching the Man-Booker prize ceremony on TV - it's a great way of finding out which books are the really excellent books.

What do you think of Lisey's Story BD? My book group did it a while back & I'm afraid I gave up on it, just couldnt get into it.

It does take some getting into, but once there it really starts to take off - i'd say the 'set up' is a good 150 pages, so in real terms you have to read an 'indifferent' (but very literate) short novel before you get to the good stuff!

Stephen King is funny, because sometimes even his really good stuff can make you cringe (especially some of his dialogue) because it hovers around 'cheesy', but then the over-all level is up the with the greats... and all that wrapped up in horror stories??? Go figure! :lol:

Probably a longer answer than you wanted, so in a nutshell: starts slowly, gets better :)

L&P

BD :D

I've just read Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulks.

Now I am reading Skating to Antarctica by Jenny Diski.

Not sure what is next, but my dad has lent me Long Walk to Freedom by Mandela and The Ascent of Man by Bronowski (whose brother taught my grandma!). I also have recently acquired A Brave New World, War and Peace (THAT dropped onto my doormat (via the cat's head) with a massive THUD, it is HUUUUUGE, and the writing as really small!) and The Speed of Dark. Also have a few Stephen Fry and Torey Hayden, and a book about Philosophy that my parents bought me for Christmas.

Actually, it's getting ridiculous, I have had to "double park" my To Be Read shelf, and I can't see half of what is there. I've borrowed several books so I want to read them first so I can return them, and I've been putting newly acquired books in at the front as well, so god only knows what's in the row behind! I need to bring the other bookshelf up from downstairs, but it's a bit heavy to do by myself.

I can't have 2 novels on the go at a time because I get confused. I sometimes do it when I don't want to take in AS-related books to read at work, but I stick with light novels otherwise my brain explodes!

Edited by Tally

David, I agree with you about The Golden Compass not living up to the book - I think Lord of the Rings definitely set the standard for film adaptations!

I'm reading a novel called London by Edward Rutherfurd. It's set in ..er...London.. from it's earliest beginnings up to the present day, supposedly tracing different generations of the same families. I love London and its history so I was intrigued by the idea. It's not as complex as I was expecting it to be though - the writing is unspectacular, the characters unconvincing and there isn't much attempt to link together the different eras. It's really just a series of short stories with different historical settings - the only unifying theme is the London location. Bits of it are interesting, like the descriptions of the city and historical events - from that point of view it is well researched. I'll stick with it but it hasn't really grabbed me so far.

K x

I'm reading a novel called London by Edward Rutherfurd.

I tried to read Russka by Rutherford. Similar idea, goes through the generations of people living in a village in Russia, but I couldn't follow it at all and gave up in the end. My parents have London, but I chose not to read it because I did not enjoy Russka.

I love reading Karin Slaughter books, but as I've read all hers and am waiting for the new one to come out I am reading a true story by Donna Ford called 'The Step-child.' A good book that tells of her life as an abused starved etc step-child and no-one took any notice. Upsetting in most parts.

KA x x

Edited by kellyanne

It does take some getting into, but once there it really starts to take off - i'd say the 'set up' is a good 150 pages, so in real terms you have to read an 'indifferent' (but very literate) short novel before you get to the good stuff!

Stephen King is funny, because sometimes even his really good stuff can make you cringe (especially some of his dialogue) because it hovers around 'cheesy', but then the over-all level is up the with the greats... and all that wrapped up in horror stories??? Go figure! :lol:

Probably a longer answer than you wanted, so in a nutshell: starts slowly, gets better :)

L&P

BD :D

Aah, I think I gave up before p 150. Joined an online book group so I would read things I normally wouldnt, but you have to be disciplined, & when theres so much delicious stuff out there .... my bookshelf is like Tallys, I cant keep up!

David, I agree with you about The Golden Compass not living up to the book - I think Lord of the Rings definitely set the standard for film adaptations!

I'm reading a novel called London by Edward Rutherfurd. It's set in ..er...London.. from it's earliest beginnings up to the present day, supposedly tracing different generations of the same families. I love London and its history so I was intrigued by the idea. It's not as complex as I was expecting it to be though - the writing is unspectacular, the characters unconvincing and there isn't much attempt to link together the different eras. It's really just a series of short stories with different historical settings - the only unifying theme is the London location. Bits of it are interesting, like the descriptions of the city and historical events - from that point of view it is well researched. I'll stick with it but it hasn't really grabbed me so far.

K x

I ended up enjoying London, Kathryn. What I liked was that he follows the same few families down the ages, it appealed to me as I'm into family history as well as London history. Theres another good novel about Irish history written in a similar way, I'll have a browse & see if I can come up with the title.

I ahave read a few recently deperatley trying to destress. Loads of books on Gluten free diet. Russell Brands autobiograaphy and currently reading Jordan,s. After that I am going to reread Harry Potter from the beginning that will keep me going.

I finished Love You, Mean It last night. Recommend it.

Tonight I'm starting on His Bright Light. It's by Danielle Steel, and it's about her son, who committed suicide.

I'm halfway through The London Eye Mystery & cant put it down. Its been on JP's shelf for months but he takes aaaages with books. I think he'd really enjoy it though as the narrator has similar obsessions & an annoying big sister!

I ended up enjoying London, Kathryn. What I liked was that he follows the same few families down the ages, it appealed to me as I'm into family history as well as London history. Theres another good novel about Irish history written in a similar way, I'll have a browse & see if I can come up with the title.

If it's by the same author, is it called "Dublin?"

I'm also reading "We need to talk about Kevin" about a mother examining her relationship with her teenage son who has killed several people. Disturbing stuff, but very well written.

K x

If it's by the same author, is it called "Dublin?"

I'm also reading "We need to talk about Kevin" about a mother examining her relationship with her teenage son who has killed several people. Disturbing stuff, but very well written.

K x

Erm no I dont think so, still trying to remember. I'm avoiding the Kevin book though I'd really like to read it, just dont know if I'm strong enough.

I've read a few Jodie Picoult books, I always enjoy them.