• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Probiotics ..

I was just reading that article about the trial with ASD kids and probiotic drinks.

They said the trial was not conclusive as so many parents in the placebo group gave up ... because they wanted their kids on the probiotics too when they saw the non-placebo kids results.

Worth a go ....!

Can anyone recommend which ones are best/ taste least offensive/ carry the right "good" bacteria etc.

Do they taste like the yoghurt drinks because my son loves those?

Anyone using them / noticed any difference / had any reactions?

Also, can they have them from any age?

KarenT   
Can anyone recommend which ones are best/ taste least offensive/ carry the right "good" bacteria etc.

Do they taste like the yoghurt drinks because my son loves those?

Anyone using them / noticed any difference / had any reactions?

Also, can they have them from any age?

I get J the Rachels Organic Kids ones. I tried others before that (Muller Little Stars) but found that although they were labelled gluten free they actually contained Codex starch so he couldn't have them. Also, the Rachels ones are GORGEOUS! Link here so you can see what's in them:

http://www.rachelsorganic.co.uk/products/k...kingyogurt.html

They're more expensive but they're bigger portions so it doesn't work out so bad.

Haven't noticed any difference ASD-wise though and he's been having them for a couple of weeks off and on.

Karen

x

I have been buying them for Dan for a week or so. He says he feels abit better with them, but I am not so sure, he has now been excluded from school for a couple of days :( . He was aweful yesterday. But saying that otherwise he has been better, yesterday was just one of those days. :( .He says he prefers the strawberry ones, I had picked up a couple of packs from Tesco's & He is now on the ASda ones.

Kathrynh   

Can you get probiotics that are cows milk free? My son often suffers from "the runs" and I've been told probiotics might help but he is casein intolerant.

Kirkmans Labs specifically make high strain probiotics which are fee from casein ,gluten etc - they are avaliable direct from Kirkmans in USA and I think also from Nutricentre in UK ( online ). The capsules can be opened up and mixed with food.

KarenT   

We've gone off the yogurt based probiotics now, after seeing a complementary therapist who suspected leaky gut. She recommended a product called Prime Directives which is a blend of organic wholefoods mixed with 13 probiotics. Have a look here:

http://www.amazinghealth.co.uk/organic-prime-directive.htm

J's also trying goats milk as it's much lower in casein than cows, I'm also looking into goats butter and yogurt. Have to admit he's had much less tummy complaint over the past two to three weeks, so we could be getting somewhere.

Karen

x

Kathrynh   

Thanks Big Mamma and KarenT.

Karen - I,ve tried goats and soya milk as alternatives and neither really did the job. My son is now on rice milk with added calcium which is working well.