Sign in to follow this  
Flora

teacher (apparently) struck by lightening

Bill's secondary school did a sponsored walk today.

As it was 8 miles, and Bill has motor dyspraxia I decided not to put him in for it. He stayed at home today. Yesterday his TA told me 'how disappointed' they were that Bill wasn't doing the walk as all the children in the school, including the disabled students, did it every year. I explained to her how difficult he finds walking all but short distances because he is so uncoordinated his legs, feet and back ache. Added to that the fact that only a few months ago he was school phobic so I didn't want him to do anything that would cause him stress at school as so far he's doing well this term. She still wasn't happy and said his registration tutor would give me a ring yesterday after noon. She didn't call so I decided to keep him off anyway, feeling like I'd made the right decision but also a twinge of guilt.

Anyway, the walk was taking place this morning along the Ridge Way (the highest point in this area), starting at 9am and due to finish at 2pm.

When we had a massive thunder storm around 10am I was feeling even more like I'd made the right decision. About an hour ago I heard via the local jungle drums that a teacher has been struck by lightening on the ridge way and flown by air ambulance to the hospital. :o

I have no idea how much accuracy there is in this report as it hasn't made the news yet, but boy am I glad I didn't let Bill go !! I just know he'd have been very traumatised by the rain and thunder, and if a teacher indeed has been hit by lightening I am guessing that there will be a bit of digging and delving going on into health and safety issues.

Flora

Blooming heck, definatly the right desicion was made by you not to let him go.

Hope the teacher is ok too, I can only imagine now if it is true how many children will be petrified of storms now, I really think that if that kind of weather was on the forcast then they shouldn't have been out in it.

:crying::blink:

You certainly made the right decision, and that's even if the teacher hadn't bee struck down. My son is nearly 13 and has dyspraxia and there's no way he could walk 8 miles, NO WAY!

Well done for sticking to what you know is right for your son. :notworthy:

~ Mel ~

Certainly made the right decision.

Wonder if it was the nasty piece of work that called you, whom got struck by lightening. :whistle:

Edited by Tylers-mum

You made the right choice theres no question in that but if the school are so upset by him not going why not offer you a wheelchair to enable him to join in.As it thundered its good he didnt go but its about inclusion and it ask him to walk is not enabling him to be included school should put their brain in gear before their mouths

I think they'll have a problem getting the other kids to school if they witnessed that, It's a good job he didn't go and you know your child best so take no notice when teachers try to force you into making your child do something he's not capable of.

how traumatic must it be for the kids if they did see it, they'll need alot of councelling and i bet thunder storms will be very frightening for them from now on.

Clare

Flora, that is awful....hope the teacher is ok. Thank gawd you kept your ds off.......I know I've let our kiddies take part in sponsored activities whilst wondering why.....afterwards wishing I'd been strong enough to say no. Well done you!

I was talking this morning to a parent of a child who did the walk and apparently it was total chaos when he went to pick up his son.

He said all the kids were very traumatised and some of them were crying hysterically and some were screaming. His son actually saw the teacher being struck by lightening and is deeply upset by the whole experience.

If Bill had been on that walk I'd bet the shirt off my back that I wouldn't have got him back in that school ever again.

I expect his TA and registration tutor are thanking their lucky stars that I dug my heels in.

I hope the teacher is ok, nobody seems to know anything about their condition yet.

Flora

Flora >:D<<'>

You must be so relieved you didn't 'give in'. Let's hope Bill doesn't get too stressed when he hears people talking about it at school. If it were me. I would be thinking of keeping him off school until things have died down a bit.

Hope the teacher is ok.

Nellie xx

My dyspraxia doesn't stop me walking long distances but I DO get awful back ache from being on my feet for a long time.

A mandatory risk assessment of a trip out would or at least should have included a weather report and their presumptiousness is a little worrying. Can a wheelchair user go rock climbing just because non-wheelchair users with different disabilities can? So I don't see how 'other disabled children are going' counts as a reason for him to go.

Bare in mind the chances of ever being struck by lightning are so slim, you can be considered absolutely unreproachably right in hindsight, though you still were right before for other reasons.

Another bit of news (good news). As often happens the tale was slightly exagerated. The teacher wasn't struck directly, the ground in front of him was struck and he was knocked out and some of the kids around him were knocked over by it. This sparked off mass panic by all the other kids and teachers who were terrified that another bolt of lightning would strike and they would be next so apparently they were all running around screaming and looking for safe areas.

Many of the kids had mobile phones and called their parents. Alot of the parents rushed to the scene and found police, fire engines, ambulances and helicopters... not to mention hundreds of completely traumatised kids. They were in the middle of no where so it took hours to get them all sorted out.

What a nightmare.

Flora

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to find that funny but I do; if lightning strikes close, the chances of it doing so again are less, not more. Then they all got on their mobile phones, which can attract lightning because they're so conductive.

It made front page of the local newspaper.

The teacher WAS struck by lightning, he was knocked out then had a convulsion. He had some minor burns. Amazing good news that he wasn't more seriously injured or worse.

Flora