Sign in to follow this  
tracey

education otherwise

at my our last meeting with school had a lady round from parent partnership

really for support she told me if I couldnt get my daughter back to school to

contact education otherwise for help on home ed

was under impression they could help with tuition but after speaking with a lady

from there helpline it seems each parent educates there own child with online support

from other parents doing the same

am thinking this is the only way to teach my child as I cannot get her back to school

and dont seem to be getting anywhere with home tuition on medical grounds

either doctor a cahms wont help or tuition is now done at hospital school difficult

if your child wont leave the house

any help or advice greatly appreciated as im at my wits end and my daughter

isnt learning much at all

Thanks Tracey

Tracey,

Doesn't sound right to me. :unsure:

Your child is entitled to an education. It's worth calling one of the education helplines. Good luck!

National Autistic Society (NAS)

NAS Education Advocacy including Tribunal Support Scheme

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=143&a=3435

Independent Panel for Special Educational Needs (IPSEA)

http://www.ipsea.org.uk

Advisory Centre for Education (ACE)

Helpline: 0808 800 5793

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk

Network 81

Helpline: 0870 770 3306

http://www.network81.org/

Was the one you called part of the LEA? You need EOTAS department of the education department of the LEA. This stands for "education other than at school", and covers turition at home, home education, referral units, etc. Have you had input from Education Welfare too?

Karen

Sorry you've been having such trouble with getting help, Tracey. How old is your daughter?

You might find, once you get into home educating yourself, that you can do a much better job than the LEA because you know your daughter best.

I home educated my lad for two years and it was the best thing we could have done at the time. He was 9 when he came out of school and still couldn't sit down and write a sentence!

We joined Education Otherwise and they held regular groups for all the home edders in the area and organized trips and visits too.

If you'd like to chat more about it, please feel free to pm me.

Take care. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

Thanks for all replies

its all abit daunting at the minuite as i wouldnt class myself

as teacher material

atleast if eduction otherwise are there for back up that will help

especially if they organise days out

still going to keep on at them for home tuition though I think

my daughter should be entitled to this

Tracey

Tracey,

Doesn't sound right to me. :unsure:

Your child is entitled to an education. It's worth calling one of the education helplines. Good luck!

National Autistic Society (NAS)

NAS Education Advocacy including Tribunal Support Scheme

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=143&a=3435

Independent Panel for Special Educational Needs (IPSEA)

http://www.ipsea.org.uk

Advisory Centre for Education (ACE)

Helpline: 0808 800 5793

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk

Network 81

Helpline: 0870 770 3306

http://www.network81.org/

I agree. Parent Partnership were the ones that referred our son for Education Other Than At School (they can refer as mine clarified). A few years ago he had home tuition with them and later on small group learning. Ultimately, it was IPSEA :notworthy: that helped us get the education package to meet his needs.

We were fighting on our own for ages and not getting anywhere, one meeting with IPSEA involved and voila!

Would you be able to get a letter from your GP stating that your daughter cannot attend school on medical grounds (stress etc)?. Please don't de-register your daughter from her current school. If you do, LEAs will wash their hands of the situation as it was your decision to de-register, not theirs.

Annie

xx

As Annie says, your daughter is entitied to home tuition if she is off school on medical grounds. The LEA are failing in their duty if they cam't provide this. Have you thought of contacting your MP? Special educational needs is a hot political topic at the moment and he/she may be able to put pressure on the LEA.

Home education is an option to consider, but it's not something every parent can do, so don't feel guilty if you feel it's not for you. I think you have to be enthusiastic about it for it to work.

Do contact one of the organisations Nellie has listed. Some of them, like IPSEA, can provide someone to come to meetings with you if necessary. It's hard to battle on your own.

take care

K x

A topic close to my heart!

Hello everyone,..long time no post!!

I was hoping that after moving house, school, LEA, last summer, that some sort of miracle from a fresh start would happen.

The school have been fantastic and if ever there was a school setting that could help her, this is it! However, in line with every other winter,..the school refusal phase is here. She is consummed by her anxieties,..and worries endlessly about secondary, homework, etc. She is only 10, but if she wasn't worrying about those things, it would be something else. She rages and refuses school in the winter,..something that is acknowledged by everyone we see.

She has weekly psychology sessions. She is also due to meet with the ASD unit leader at the secondary school. She is not statemented,..been through the stat assess (with last LEA) and got a 'note in lieu'. Long story,..some of you know it.

Anyway, what I am asking is whether anyone has heard of a statement that specifically relates to part-time schooling for particular parts of the year, perhaps where seasonal variations exist? She is still way too clever (yr6, when she should be in yr5), so it is can't be said she is falling behind. She has now been placed back into yr 5 for numeracy in response to her concerns (not as a result of falling ability).

I had an awful experience with the EWO of the last LEA, so I am reluctant to involve them directly myself. I know they will become involved soon as she has not been to school since the start of the new term. :( I honestly don't know how much longer I can cope with the uncertainty of what is going to happen next. I know you will all relate to this,...

Should I give in and home educate? She seems to want this, but with her ODD on top of ASD, she will not last long before she digs her heels in!

Tracey,...good luck!!!!! >:D<<'>

Elefan

xx

Hi Elefan :) ,

My son had written in his statement in part 4 (named school), ***'s needs can be met by 'Education Other Than At School', it wasn't for particular times of the year though.

The sad thing is that EWOs and LEAs sometimes come down hard on parents that keep their children off school because the children cannot cope, but they are not so fast to help us when we know what may just be the answer :( .

Annie

>:D<<'>

Hi Annie,

Thanks for your reply.

I wish I could say I was keeping her off school,..but I am trying everything to get her there!! Nothing works,..and forcing her just brings about a rage.

I look forward to hearing if anyone has had a 'part-time' part-time scenario :D written into a statement!!

Hope you and yours are doing well.

Elefan

xx

I look forward to hearing if anyone has had a 'part-time' part-time scenario :D written into a statement!!

Hi Elefan, we didn't have it written into our son's statement, but we had an informal arrangement with the school that he would attend part-time for an entire year. Basically, he wasn't coping and I met with the Head and told her that if they wouldn't allow him to go part-time then we would have to remove him. It was agreed, but the statement wasn't changed.

Good luck. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

I was wondering what happens if your child has a statement and you decide to home educate for a couple of years until secondary school. We're having trouble getting our daughter to school at the moment and keep thinking is all this worth it. She's year 5. If we de-register her from primary, would she lose her statement putting us back to square one for secondary school?

Lisa

Lisa,

If you home educate you don't necessarily lose the statement, I presume you can change your mind and ask for a school to be named on the statement. The LEA still have a responsibility to arrange the provision.

Nellie xx

COP 8:95 Section 7 of the Education Act 1996 recognises parents' right to choose to educate their child at home. Such arrangements are described as 'education otherwise than at school.' In such cases, if the child has a statement of special educational needs, it remains the LEA's duty to ensure that the child's needs are met. The statement must remain in force and the LEA must ensure that parents can make suitable, provision, including provision for the child's special education needs. If the parent's arrangements are suitable the LEA are relieved of their duty to arrange the provision specified in the statement. If, however, the parents' attempt to educate the child at home results in provision which falls short of meeting the child's needs, then the parents are not making 'suitable arrangements' and the LEA could not conclude that they were absolved of their responsibility to arrange the provision in the statement. Even if the LEA is satisfied, the LEA remains under a duty to maintain the child's statement and to review it annually, following the procedures set out in Code of Practice Chapter Nine

Edited by nellie

Sorry to be a pain,..but I can't find something I am sure exists already here! If a child is off school (as a result of their ASD or anxiteties related to it), without the consent of the school or parents,..I am sure there is a time limit of 3 weeks or something, wherupon they could fall into the Home and Hospital education system?

Please can someone sign-post me to the appropriate legal documentation on the LEA's responsibilities? I seem to recall something about 5 hrs tutor a week, etc, until normal schooling resumes.

She does not have a statement.

Cheers,

Elefan

xx