Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Annual Review help please.

When school phoned me the other day, they reminded me that Louis's annual review was on 7th February.

Looking through the NAS advice on Annual reviews (here: http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp...068&a=6741) under the collection of information bit, it says that "The head teacher then seeks written advice from parents and professionals and the pupil (if possible), arranges the meeting and prepares a review report. The head teacher must invite the parent of the child, the child (if appropriate), the relevant teacher and the LEA officer to the meeting. Where appropriate, the head should also invite the LEA Educational Psychologist, a representative from health or social services or any other relevant professional".

I have not been asked to provide any 'written advice'. The letter I recieved is as below...

Dear Parent/Carer

The Annual review of Special Educational Need for Louis is due shortly.

A date has ben arranged for te review to take place to which we hope you will be able to attend.

You are therefore invited to attend the meeting on 07 February 2007 at 15:15 here at the school. Please report to Reception.

Should you be unable to attend but wish to contribute to the meeting please provide comment below.

If you wish to discuss any issues before the review please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Mr Headteacher.

Nowhere in there does it say about any written advice from ourselves. Should we provide some, and if so, what sort of things should I put in there?

After some of the things the school have said to social services about us as parents, I am absolutely cacking my pants (sorry!) about what is going to happen.

HELP!!!

Thanks!

This really is your opportunity to say what you think about the last year and what you want to happen.

I was asked in jan for little ps annual review in march if I wanted to put anythink in writing.

f you arent happy there is nothing to stop you asking for the date to be put back as they have not complied with their obligations under the code of practicve, I wonder what the head would say about that!

Hants has a form for parental comments - you should have been sent one by the school. You should also get the review paperwork (any reports, etc) at least two weeks prior to the review meeting. There is nothing worse than trying to comment on something you have barely had a chance to read.

Karen

Hi karen, is that for definate? A week wednesday is the meeting, and I haven't recieved anything.

Back in October I recieved the letter I posted above, and I've heard nothing of the meeting since! Methinks I'll have to write a letter to send in with Louis in the morning.

Hi fiorelli,

We have our DD's annual review on Wednesday. We are sent an invitation to attend, along with a form asking for our views on dd's strengths and weaknesses, what we feel about her behaviour at school, ditto behaviour at home......questions along those lines. The spaces provided for answers were ridiculous, and I ended up filling in two A4 papers with our views. Overall we are pretty happy with our DD's school and her placement.

There was also a form for us to fill in with our DD asking for her views...ie, what she likes about school, what she doesn't like. She is only 6, so it wasn't straightforward, but I wrote word for word what she told me when I asked her the questions. Makes interesting reading :D

The teacher has already addressed some of the issues raised in the forms we have now submitted, which is great, and we will discuss them further at the review meeting.

Good luck with yours >:D<<'>

School is acting illegally here. they should have asked you if you wanted to submit written advice as well as sending you copies of any other experts reports 2 weeks before the review.

I would write to them saying you will be submitting your comments in writing and asking them for any experts reports. I wouod also add that you are concerned that school is not complying wuith their statutory obligations regarding statements ie timescales. I woud send a copt y to the sen governor who is responsible for monitoring sen provision -

When we had our first one last year they were useless at keeping us informed (why does that not surprise me) and so I dug around on the internet and found a walkthrough of what SHOULD happen,printed off the lot and then constantly reminded them what should be happening.I think it was on ACE's website I'll have a look see if I've got it bookmarked,it also had the parental submission form there which I filled out and copied to everyone in case they never got around to sending me one..which they didn't!!

I also rang everyone myself who I wanted there as M's SALT wasn't even invited by the senco even though I requested her to be there.I also asked them to bring/send me copies of their reports as our senco often loses stuff..This worked well as she did 'lose' the SALT assessment but fortunately I had my copy with me :P

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice/booklets/AnnualReview.html

Here's the linky thing download for the booklet is top left HTH

Edited by Deedee