Sign in to follow this  
charliesvoice

Speech Therapy cuts! petition the PM! please read!

hi i'm new to this forum but would really like you to support myself and other parents with our campaign! To cut a very long story short my son is 6 and non-verbal in september our PCT cut therapy to 5 year olds and upwards, in mainstream schools - our LEA refuse to bring in independent therapist even though its their legal obligation! I've been in local papers been on bbc look east and now we've started this petition! We have now been told that therapy will be reinstated in April but to the same budget prior to the cuts- which simply is adequate my sons last visit was june 2006 then prior to that november 2005 and i'm not alone this is happening to hundreds in my area and probably round the country!

I've just visited a private therapist so charlie can be assessed -apparently he needs 2 sessions a week (�70) per hour! i can't afford this!! thats why i really think we need to come together and say that the provisions aren't good enough for our children and something has to be done! our children are being left to fail and statements aren't worth the paper they are written on! ( if your LEA can get away with not providing the support outlined) i have tried to raise this matter with the secretary of state but i was informed he can not reprimand a LEA over its past performances- so who is accountable?

if you are interested please sign this petition, go to: petitions.pm.gov.uk/spectrum

Thanks for listening! Leannex

(edited by moderator to create link)

Edited by Kathryn

Hi charliesvoice and welcome to the forum. :)

I hope your protest hits the right spot and somebody listens. Children who don't get the right help in their early years will end up costing the state a lot more later on. :wacko:

K x

Hi Leanne :) ,

Welcome to the forum.

I too hope that somebody sits up and listens. While there isn't anybody with the power willing to hold LEA's accountable, it's no wonder that LEA's or anyone else for that matter continue to worm out of their obligations :angry:

Annie

xx

We're petitioning the Prime Minister to make LEA's and PCT's accountable. Maybe then they might think twice about taking vital support away from our children! ( this isn't just for my local area, we're thinking Nationwide!) i've had so many e-mails from parents across the country saying how they've been let down and also from parents whose children are now adults and that really things haven't changed!!!

i have tried to raise this matter with the secretary of state but i was informed he can not reprimand a LEA over its past performances- so who is accountable?

I think you may have been misinformed ... http://www.ipsea.org.uk/walsallcomplaint06.htm

and the result http://www.ipsea.org.uk/walsallcomplaintresult.htm

I've spoken to the DfES they refuse to do anything! i've contacted the secretary of state and get passed back to the DfES - ( the reason i've been informed from childrens services is that the funds will be returning in April, which is a seriously under funded state!( 2 visits in 1 year for my non-verbal son) thats why the secretary of state will not get involve IPSEA said this too! ) any other action you could advise i'd be very grateful for! ( its heading down the tribunal route!)

I symapthise too. Getting SALT and OT provision for my son is :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: They do the ###### awful 'consultation' model round here which I'm sure is rolled out nationally whereby a therapist goes to school once in a blue moon, does an assessment and tells the LSA who is neither trained in ST or OT what to do with the child and expect them to deliver the therapy :angry: That's bad enough but whent the therapist doesn't even give decent direction to the LSA :angry: We've ended up getting an independent SALT to see my son, so fed up with the NHS SALT service

Lx

>:D<<'> Thanks so much for your support so far! we've reached 930 signatures but really need loads more if you could pass it on to others that would be a massive help!

i've been e-mailing conservative MP's to drum up a bit more support ( i'm up to the surnames begining with R! )- so far a couple have signed ( which is a start! ) Thanks again!!xx

Petition signed.

Have you looked to see if your lea has specilaist provision for kids with sppechand language needs? In our area i HAVE RECENTLY FOUND OUT WE HAVE 12.

It maybe that this is a possible form of attachk if they do. they do say in outr area they are for kids of noramls cognitive ability ie not sen BUT I WONDER IF CHALLENGED IF WE COULD SAY THIS IS DISCRIMINATION UNDER THE DDA?

Hi pumpkinpie, yes we have a language unit in our area but it's not for autistic children " autistic children are not seen as treatable enough" i've been told - which is a real kick in the teeth!! and i think it's only for children up to 7 years, my son is 6 1/2 - but we are considering campaigning for better provisions for autistic children in our area and thats a good point you've raised thanks for that!

KEEP SIGNING!! :thumbs:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/spectrum/

I've added mine. I'm having the same problem with SALT. I've been waiting months for something for DS2 and have only been offered parent group sessions, and no individual therapy.