Sign in to follow this  
UltraMum

So sad for my son ...

He brought a piece of work home today ... the teacher had written "very untidy!" and the LSA had written:

Have given J the option - if he wishes to re-do at home - we would love his work on our wall.

What message does that give him :(:(:(

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Poor J - if he was in my classroom his work would be proudly displayed on the wall. No wonder our children are so easily demotivated at times

xxx

I really cannot understand the way some teachers think.

My R came home last week with a nice new book and inside she had the date and part of a heading.

There was a note from her teacher saying:

Please can Rebecca do this work at home.

She needs to do three sentences, she spent 40 minutes doing the heading in class and it was such a mess I had to tear the page out.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Because Rebecca wanted to try to do this writing I printed the work out for Rebecca to copy onto a pink background and did her some lines on pink background.

Then eventually after two separate half hour attempts we got the work done.

But I made sure that I stuck the letter and both attempts at the work in her book with my reply along with it.

To my mind it would have been better for the messy work to have been left in the book and Rebecca being asked to do the work on the next page.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Annoyed????? Me????

Edited by Devon mum

I feel for him, truly I do.

My J came home this week saying that he'd done some writing in science and his answer was right. He finds science difficult and writing even harder because he has hypermobile finger joints which make it so difficult for him to write at all, let alone well. His SA had rubbed out his answer and told him to do it again because it was untidy.

We see the headteacher later this week ....... :-(

It really is shocking the attitude that some of these teachers have. DS struggles with hand-writing and has been known to hide under the table or have a meltdown because of it. I have to (reluctantly) admit his teacher is pretty understanding about it, though.

I have a little girl in my class with pretty extreme dyspraxia. It is a P.5 (year 4 down south), so there is a lot of writing. This wee button puts her heart and soul into it to produce an almost illegible result. So, it takes three times longer to mark, but I know she's done her best. I put each and every child's work up on the walls. She feels a sense of achievement, and so she should!

Teachers have to start accepting that they assess each child on his/her own merits, you can't draw comparisons and you cannot expect the same standard of work from all, whether the child has an additional support need or not. GRRRrrr :wallbash:

Send you wee ones my way, I'll teach them >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Isle of Bute (Scottish western isles) :o - but hey, it would provide nice tranquil scenery :lol: An idyllic setting.

Oh no, am now having weird thoughts about setting up an island community of ASD families!!! Wouldn't that be bliss?

When I was a TA i used to make sure all the children's work went up on the displays - one girl i supported got such a kick out of seeing her work mounted and displayed :D

I've just finished a letter re the annual review meeting :P so shall give it a day or so before I tackle the school again ... :lol:

I sympathise, Ultramum. My son is always being told off about his untidy work - he loves writing but struggles with handwriting.

His teacher is known for ripping up work in front of a child because it isn't good enough and made another child cry because of this.

Teachers need to recognise when a child has done their best and reward the effort.

K x

It will defenetly give the message that even when I try my hardest its never going to be good enough,

self esteem will be severly effected and the challenges ahead to produce better work will no daught cause frustration, anger and inadiquicies.

these little remarks like untidy, could do more, could do better, needs to concentrate more, needs to try harder are statments that we are saying the child isnt good enough, even if its the best the child can produce.

J use to be punished for getting more than three spellings wrong, he has dyslexia, and I went mental, wrote to the school and threatened Discrimination, and I wouldnt let the school do the sanction, which was he miss a playtime.

In the school he is in now he isnt punished for the things he was regularly punished for, and he recieves support and encouragement.

J use to be and can still be very demotivated, and resists writing in fear that he will be told off, so the experience stays with our children even when the right aproach and encouragement is in place.

I would write a letter of complaint, these words are giving the message he isnt trying hard enough and he isnt good enough for their wall display.

the teacher is probably scared to put it on the wall with untidy writing incase it is interpriting that she isnt a very good enough teacher, not that the childs work isnt good enough.

All work NO matter how small, or how untidy, how unwilling at first should be praised and given encouragement.

JsMum

This is just mean. If a child has tried his best he should see his work on the wall displayed with pride the same as every other child. They shouldn't have to try to conform to what others might think is 'acceptable', if it is the best they can do, then, quite simply, it is the best they can do and they should receive the praise and reward that all children deserve. :(

~ Mel ~

I had teachers who wouldn't accept work if the handwriting wasn't up to their standard. Sometimes they would rip it up and throw it in the bin. The same teachers also wouldn't accept homework that was done on a computer.