forbsay

Help.......... asd son has broken his favourite toy

My son is obsessed with buses. Tonight, he broke his favourite bus and he meant to do it so that I would buy him another one. They are really expensive and I don't want to go down the line of buying another one as I have already bought him one before and I don't want him to think he is going to keep getting a new one.

On top of this (which I now that he is going to freak and melt down about). I have got major issues at my work and there is only so much I can deal with befoe I explode!

How do I deal with the issue of the broken bus?

Thanks

Forbsay

Awww, J is 17 now but we got through 3 Magna Doodles when he was young, he wore them out!

When you say he "meant" to do it, do you mean he deliberately broke it to get a new one or just broke it in a fit of temper?

If its the first, I'd say, hold out for a bit then get him to save up some pocket money & contribute to a new one.

If its the second I'd get him a new one as he was probably horrified at what he'd done when he calmed down.

>:D<<'>

what i would be tempted to do is go and get a new bus for a quiet life but in the end it dont turn out quiet cos steve would break the bus again to get another new one

totally agree with what baddad has written,i think i accommodate steves behaviour and i think if you got another bus it would be the same,then again i know i would end up getting another bus cos i couldnt stand the meltdown vicious circle,sorry im not much help am i

Edited by Kathryn

Hi

i agree with the others if but if it was because he broke it in temper i to would have to go out and get another one straight away as the meltdown would be ten times worse ,but apart from our sanity are we gaining anything by giving in as my two eldest ds always point out,but what do you do and ive lost count of the things kieran as broken out of temper only last week it was the tv remote but then dh cant live without one of those, and he also punched the wall and knocked the kitchen clock to the floor but that didnt matter as i can live with oput one but we mnaged to mend it anyway.

lynn

Forbsay, I may be really hard, not sure, but, depending on his level of understanding, I would be inclined not to go out and replace the bus. Certainly, if it were my lad, I would help him to try and fix the old bus, but I would want him to try and understand that he needs to live with the consequences of his actions. Like I say, this is based on my own lad and his level of understanding, it's going to be different with everyone. Like others have said, if he did want a new bus, maybe he could do something to earn it, like save up for it himself (if appropriate) or do some chores, like dry up the dishes or tidy his room each day for a week and tick it off on a chart to earn the bus back, or something like that.

I know, I'm mean, aren't I? :ph34r: I just know that if I gave in with my lad on it, I'd end up making a rod for my own back. The melt-downs might be hard to live with, but they could be less hassle in the long-run if you can bear to live through them.

Good luck. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi

Although as hard as it sounds, with regards to something like this i treat my dx DS the same as i would my nt DD. I don't want my dd to see thats how to get new things. They have to earn new things ie they both havr to make their own beds every morning to get a treat on Saturdays. This works well, they know what is expected of them, and without them realising it, it teaches them that unfortunately you have to work to get the things you would like. I know my children our still fairly young, but hopefully it is a good foundation for later on in life.

Luckily the only thing he has broke is his favourite teddy, this was just wear and tear as this teddy goes everywhere with him. We told him he had to go to the teddy hospital where dr daddy would mend him. He accepted this.

Good luck with the bus saga. >:D<<'>

Hi

At the risk of kiddo having another big meltdown, I'm afraid I wouldn't rush out and buy a new one. I'd make him 'work' for a new one. I'd make it very clear that if he breaks something, he does not automatically get a new one. I know myself from Robert having done this that it's a quick fix to get a new one asap, but until the next time ... Even if it's getting M to cooperate and do simple chores around the house ie helping tidy his room or something, then he'll hopefully get the gist that he'll get it replaced because he's worked for it and not because he's deliberately broken his old one. Call me harsh, and I know it's easier said than done!

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Why does your son want a new bus?

Is there an issue with the bus he had? wobbly wheels? uneven? scratches? ect that might be making it difficult to enjoy the bus?

I am only trying to understand why did he not like the bus he already had?

what is he hoping will be different if he gets a NEW one?

I would try and get him to answer some of these and then explain that braking the bus wasnt the way to get a new one, and that to get a new one now he will have to save up every week, have a jar visable and place his pocket money into it with BUS on the jar.

If he is old enough I agree with the chores been rewarded with money towards the bus, if he has understanding of money say he understands �10 then show him thats how much the bus is.

J gets a weekly allownce into a bank account, for breakages he has to replace out of his own Pocket money.

even in fits of anger as he has ways of dealing with his anger now, ( punchbag, shouting and relaxtion )

I would be very reluctant in replacing any thing that was in result of pure wanting a new one without any reasons or explanation.

JsMum

hello

I have not bought him another bus. He meant to break his bus to get a new one. I am going to get a jar and let him get some money for during chores around the house.

Thanks for your replies

Forbsay

Edited by forbsay

T (7yrs) has just broken his beloved Nintendo DS which he ADORES! He broke his heart when he broke it and broke it during a fit of temper b/c he couldn't do a certain part of the game he was playing so bit the DS in anger which broke the screen.

He expected me to just go out and replace it but I told him that it cost me lots of money and I an't got money to replace things that he decides to break. Gave him 2 options, he can either wait until his birthday (June) and not have the Dr Who DVD's he wanted for his present but instead have a DS or he could save up his pocket money (which he'll have to earn) until he has enough to replace it. Either way he has to wait for it and has learnt that things can't just be replaced at the drop of a hat.

He opted to not have the Dr Who DVD's for his birthday but to have a DS instead. His choice but hopefully one that he'll know to think twice about before breaking anything again! Yes we have forty fits here for a while but he's calmed down now that he's understood that everything has consequences.

Edited by Tylers-mum

I had similar a situation last night, not toy related though. :o

Jay loves to play in the bath and he's constantly filling up shampoo bottles with water and we're constantly telling him off about it. Last night he got a half full bottle of shampoo and filled it with water and was very pleased with himself, until he'd realized what he'd done. He kept saying sorry and thought that would be enough, but I decided to take a stand with it once and for all. I told him I was going to take money out of his purse to replace the shampoo and he was beside himself and furious with me, accusing me of stealing his money and going on and on about how it's 'not fair'!! He seemed to think that saying sorry was enough, but I wanted to show him that he has to take responsibility for his actions and stop blaming me and being angry with ME for something HE has done.

Let's just say that I'm not flavour of the month at the moment!! :ph34r::lol::lol:

~ Mel ~

You can get replacement screens for the DS. Just had a quick look for a store. This one:

http://www.ps2laser.co.uk/nintendo_spares.htm

has them at just over �20. They are a similar price on eBay. If you do go this route just make sure you get the one for the correct model.

Edited by David Matthew Baker