Sign in to follow this  
peppa

oh my god got diagnosis today!

Cant believe it we got a diagnosis today, dd has HFA.

Even though its what i knew all along i can't believe its happened, i thought that we were going to have a huge fight on our hands, as we don't have the backing of our gp or health visitor (both said dd was just clumsy and highly intelligent nothing more).

Therefore when i walked into consultants office i was prepared to be disappointed, boy was i wrong!

He looked at all my notes with intrest and at the letter from SALT highlighting her concerns, we chatted for five minites then he said he was prepared to give her the diagnosis there and then for HFA.

He said when its this evident theres no point beating around the bush as the sooner its acknowledged the sooner we begin to get support systems in place, he then went on to say he has a son with HFA so therefore it was easier to recognise for him, but i think the fact dd lined bricks up from one side of the office to the other as we were talking may have been the clincher!!!

Can't begin to describe how im feeling, its such a mixture of emotions, but i feel so lucky that i can now begin to get to know my little girl on a whole new level of understanding, for the superstar that she is.

Got a referal to our local hospital social and communication centre and the JETS group. Also to OT and EP, so things moving forward quite posotively.

I know weve been amazingly lucky in getting a diagnosis so quickly, and whilst dd is so young (3yrs8mnth), i just wish it was like this for everybody, don't know what kind of struggles and fights we'll have in the future, but for now i'm feeling posotive.

I can only urge anyone still waiting for diagnosis, gather as much evidence as possible of your childs concerns, and don't be afraid to disagree with so called proffesionals I.e GP and HV as they aren't always as familiar with ASD as we'd like to think. I know if i'd have took their word and not pushed then dd may not be getting the support she needs.

Oh Peppa I am so pleased you got a DX for your DD so quickly. However you are no doubt expereincing mixed emotions, my relief at my DS's Dx was mixed with sadness. As you say you can now get to know your DD on a new level, she certainly is a "superstar" and your a "supermum"

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Clare x >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Well done for persevering, peppa, you know your DD best and you've been proved right. :notworthy::dance::thumbs::clap:

Give yourself some time, though, for the 'news' to sink in. However much we are expecting it, the shock of it can still jump up and bite us on the bum! Take it slow and steady.

Look after yourself and hope your appointments go well. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Huge hugs >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Our youngest dd went to the same centre (I think :unsure: )....so any questions, don't hesitate to PM me..... :D>:D<<'> If in time you would like info on local support groups, let me know :D

I am so pleased for u that u now have answers and help will hopefully follow in the right care and attention ur daughter needs :) i have just got a diagnosis for my son last week and waiting for written confirmation now so i know how u must be feeling right now, sooooooooo many mixed emotions eh!

Wishing u all the best hun >:D<<'>

Bambi x

Well done Peppa :clap:

Finally getting a diagnosis sends you on a real rollercoaster of emotions. Be easy on yourself for a while.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Well done Peppa :clap:

Finally getting a diagnosis sends you on a real rollercoaster of emotions. Be easy on yourself for a while.

Annie

>:D<<'>

I can't agree with this more! Well done :clap:

Thanks guys you are all fantastic!!!!!!!

So pleased i found this place.

Bagpuss, thanks for that, it would be great to join some support groups, and to learn your experiences, i have a couple of great freinds who are amazingly supportive, but who don't always get it, so to meet and talk to others in similar situations would be great.

To be described as a supermum, is so nice, as ive felt like my GP and HV thought i was a nuerotic mum! HV just kept telling me not to over analyse dd!

Feel ready to ride the rollercoaster now (just!) Told my nearest and dearest but not sure how others will react as they not at all familiar with ASD, don't even know where to start really, but i suppose i can't climb a mountain in one day, just going to take one day at a time for now.

Thanks again everyone xxxx