car2

my son wont dress himself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all, my son Dan is suspected AS and is going through the diagnosis process at the moment. Dan is nearly 6 and he cant/wont dress himself. He never fails to put things on back to front, inside out etc-once he tried to put his shoe on the foot that already had a shoe on !!!:lol: bless him.

He just cant seem to concerntrate on dressing and gets really angry and aggressive-he'd sit all day naked if I didn't dress him. I used to think it was because he was lazy, but he hates p.e because of the getting changed bit and genuinely gets himself in a right state.

Dans fine motor skills are behind also, so im starting to think that it is a problem with co-ordination.

Iv'e never been able to talk to people about things like this , so some things Dan does I don't know if they are related to the aspergers or not?

For example, Dan has started spinning all the time, twirling round and round, he doesn't care where he is or who is watching and he is forever leaping around-he never stops moving it's like he can't control it, he is always curling his fingers on his right hand and rubbing his index finger with his thumb.

I just don't know if this is typical behaviour for Aspergers or just Daniel?

Thanks for reading this

any advice would be appriciated!!

caroline

Hi Caroline , My son also has probs dressing often comes home from school with shoes on the wrong feet ! But stripping off is no prob at all spent most of yesterday redressing him as likes to be naked (not really exceptable when you have visitor unless their unwelcome and you want them to leave fast :lol: )

He also spins but does not appear to get dizzy which i was told is something to do with the fluid in the inner ear and is common in asd kids. He also climbs and jumps on people

Sorry i carnt offer any solutions but Dans behaviour is not uncommon.

Dolly

My As son is now 13 and up until around 18 months ago he also wouldnt dress himself yet had no trouble stripping of his clothes.Id to dress him all the time.Hed spend every day al day in nightclothes or naked if wed allowed it.

But take comfort in the fact that he now chooses his own clothes gets dressed changes his clothes unprompted if dirty and can .............fasten his shoelaces all by himself.............It does happen eventually.The years i spent worrying about stuff............i wish id just chilled out more.

Dan likes to be naked all the time too!!!! And climbs all over everybody, i'm happy to know that he is not the only one and also happy to know that the reasons he does this has been due to the AS the whole time and not because he is naughty or weird as some people would like to label him as!!! :angry:

Hiya :)

My son is eight, and has been diagnosed with Aspergers. He finds it really, really difficult to get himself dressed. Something that helped him was to take a picture of him putting on an individual items (pants, socks, vest, trousers....etc...) - then put them on a strip of card - so he could see what order to put things on. He still gets things on back to front - and has fine-motor skill problems - no pincer (thumb to finger) grasp - which makes getting dressed physically difficult too, but having something to look at has helped him. I still have to be around to nag remind him to get dressed!! :wallbash: One step at a time and all that :lol: .

Welcome by the way! :D

I'd definitely recommend the picture route too. My son is eight and can now just about dress himself. In fact, he is doing swimming at his new school and can just about manage to dry himself too without much assistance. Now he goes to a school for special needs he does get a bit more help. When he went to a mainstream school and got absolutely no help at all he used to come home with shoes back to front, shirt inside out, etc etc etc.

My son has always loved to run naked although less so as he gets older. He is happy with just his top off nowadays. When he was a baby, whenever I answered the door to my neighbour (who worked for Social Services) my son was always naked - summer, winter, day night. I got quite paranoid !

He is diagnosed with ASD/Aspergers and dyspraxia. I found the picture method mentioned earlier in this post, was really helpful. We didnt have photos of our son, just pictures of the item of clothing ie trousers, shirt, pants, etc. It does work.

There is another method called backchaining which I have heard of others using, although when I heard of it my son was already managing quite well, so I did not try it. The idea with backchaining is as follows:

First, help your son to dress all the way to the last item (say perhaps its his socks he puts on last). To begin with just let him put his last sock on, so that he achieves a little milestone. Then when he has managed that sock the next time he could do both socks. The idea is that he gradually gets to put on more items. Might be worth a try.

Good luck

Daisydot

Hi

My 7 yr old diagnosed ASD son also won't dress himself. He says you do it you r faster!!!

He also rubbed his thumb & index finger together & opened & closed his fist as well. I think it was a comfort thing. He's now into sucking his sleeves. Come home soaking wet!!

Bye

Jinny

Hi

My 7 yr old diagnosed ASD son also won't dress himself. He says you do it you r faster!!!

He also rubbed his thumb & index finger together & opened & closed his fist as well. I think it was a comfort thing. He's now into sucking his sleeves. Come home soaking wet!!

Bye

Jinny

Daniel says exactly the same thing!! He says he is too slow!! He has also started to suck the collar of his school polo shirt....

Hi all, my son Dan is suspected AS and is going through the diagnosis process at the moment. Dan is nearly 6 and he cant/wont dress himself. He never fails to put things on back to front, inside out etc-once he tried to put his shoe on the foot that already had a shoe on !!!:lol: bless him.

He just cant seem to concerntrate on dressing and gets really angry and aggressive-he'd sit all day naked if I didn't dress him. I used to think it was because he was lazy, but he hates p.e because of the getting changed bit and genuinely gets himself in a right state.

Dans fine motor skills are behind also, so im starting to think that it is a problem with co-ordination.

Iv'e never been able to talk to people about things like this , so some things Dan does I don't know if they are related to the aspergers or not?

For example, Dan has started spinning all the time, twirling round and round, he doesn't care where he is or who is watching and he is forever leaping around-he never stops moving it's like he can't control it, he is always curling his fingers on his right hand and rubbing his index finger with his thumb.

I just don't know if this is typical behaviour for Aspergers or just Daniel?

Thanks for reading this

any advice would be appriciated!!

caroline

I think its pretty much autistic related behaviour, my son is 11 and still cant dress himself without guidence from me (though he is getting there slowly). His motor skills are pretty poor and is concentration is very short so its not easy for him. I've heard of lots of other kids on the spectrum who are the same. It will come in time, when he is ready.

Sarah

My son is the same, he loves to strip when at home and getting him dressed for any outing is a battle it always has been, damn battles we cant get away from them!

Bambi x

What and keep their moms in their old age :lol:

I certainly hope they do! Introducing 'the full aspies' :lol: lol

Edited by car2

my little boy is 10 years old and doesnt dress himself.he also is happy to run around naked.i dress louis in the morning just so i can get him and me organised.if i leave him to sort him self he just gets in a state...the thing is i suspect he can do it...i think when he is ready he will surprise me with his clothes...love noogsy

Hi, we had that problem too (amongst many others lol), and brought in a lovely girl who used to do ABA therapy. She didn't do therapy as such but talked to us about different methods we could use to manage our sons behaviour.

By presenting Matthew with a task to big for him to handle, ie dressing, he would become frustrated and angry and refuse. We broke everything down into little manageable steps. so first of all, I put his shirt on for him, and put his underwear on and pulled it up to his thighs, which he could easily pull up. Then I pretty much put his shorts on, again up to his thighs which he could pull up. This went on for about 2 weeks. Then I would leave the underwear and shorts at his ankles (one at a time) for him to pull up. Again another week or so. overall it took over 4 months, but now Matthew mostly can do it himself, except for shoes and socks. somtimes the shirt is on backwards but THAT doesn't bother me!

Good Luck

I posted a similar post a few weeks ago, my son is 11 and will not dress himself. Even with bribes and threats, nothing works. In the end i dress him.

The picture strip Smiley said to do sounds good. I'm going to give that a go :).

im so glad i read this post. DS (6) has just started dressing himself, he is painfully slow yet when he gets home from school the clothes fly off.... glad to know he isnt the only one. :)