Frangipani

what a morning

Not the sort of morning you expect to be confronted with.

I went in to wake her up for school and was almost knocked out by toxic fumes from her room from an appliance 'hair straightener' she left on ALL night. Window and door closed all night she inhaled these horrible fumes. It gave me a migraine just walking in there.

I had trouble rousing her she was very short of breath and dizzy so I quickly walked her out of there and put the fans on and opened all the doors and windows, it smelt like a strong bleach smell, was sooo strong. I wasnt sure what to do so I rang the hospital and the doctor was too busy to talk to me to assist so they relayed the information and he said to call an ambulance asap.

She started to recover and became more alert they checked all her vitals and she was fine just recommended she take some ventolin to assist with the breathing. Surprisingly one of them said this plastic burning smell is very common with these hair straighteners, he suggested we take it back to the retailer as he said it could be quite dangerous, they could still smell the fumes coming from her room and on her clothes. Just had to keep a close eye on her all day just incase she had any relapse, she did throw up eventually, but she was fine thereafter.

Sat back later on thinking far out, ambulance on the doorstep at 7.30am my daughter is one very lucky girl.

I am so paranoid about things to do with the lungs now, after my neighbour passed away from Lung Cancer at age 38. This is what freaked me out the most, could she have done some permanent damage to her lungs, but the ambo's thought that wouldn't be the case.

AAaaaaghhhhhh what a morning.

:( I am exhaustipated by it all. :rolleyes:

I did count our blessings :pray:

Edited by Frangipani

:o:o

That must have been really scary - hope J is all right now. Good thing you were there.

Hope you're having a more relaxing evening after all that stress - take care of yourself.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

K x

There was a report on some of one type of hair straightener that stayed on even if you turned them off at the switch - so not advisable to leave them plugged into the mains.

Karen

Glad to hear she is okay. That would have been very scary. I've had problems breathing myself once (due to allergies and my Gran not understanding) and I know I was very worried and paniced. So were my parents. I hope the ambulance staff are right and there aren't any long term side effects. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

oh i bet that was frightening for you >:D<<'> >:D<<'> so glad shes ok now,hope you recovered from the shock as well >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Scarey, hope your daughter is better today,

will watch( or should I say smell) my daugters hair straightners

from now on, didn't realize they could be so dangerous, being left on

and causing a fire yes but not fumes, xxxxxx

Thanks for your replies :) she's a lot better today.

Surprised that is didnt cause a fire because it was sitting on a silky sash that lays across her dressing table. Smoke detector didnt pick up the fumes either, the ambo's said that it wouldnt not much use if it doesnt alert you to something like this.

Last time she left if on I picked it up and burnt my finger :rolleyes: I have made her promise to only use it in the bathroom, that way she has to turn it off to take it back to her bedroom. Or at least someone will notice it is still on.

Thanks again,

Still counting our blessings :notworthy:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> I have done that the other day well not to that extreme I remembered when on the bus to college!

By careful if in the bathroom you dont want her to electriute herself as well! :unsure:

That must've been a shock, glad she's ok >:D<<'>

It sure was, I think the thing that shocked us both was how strong the fumes were and neither of us woke to it.

Reason being is when you're asleep, you dont have a sense of smell. Learned that years ago. More annoyed our smoke alarm didnt detect it. Will certainly look at changing it as its only 4 feet from her bedroom. :rolleyes:

:)