Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

The horrors of house buying...

As you know, DH and I have sold our house, looking for a bungalow for the future for our youngest dd. Found a lovely one in a town locally, by the sea, would mean school run from hell....needed the loft converting to fit us all in... :lol: but some relatives, bless em, offered to do it for the price of the materials, and we felt we could make the compromises needed. Elderly lady selling had found somewhere....fabby :thumbs: Got survey done, and a few probs were found, nothing major, got some quotes, which the lady said she would reduce selling price by, then the day before we were due to sign the contracts we got a call from the agent saying the lady had now decided to stay put :tearful: We were ok about losing the bungalow, although we both loved it, thought worst things could happen, but the financial loss of survey and solicitors fees weren't so easy to swallow. Fortunately our buyers are investors and were happy to wait for us to find another property. Next day we found a bungalow in the town we are living in :thumbs: soooo, no school run, and within our price range. :blink:no chain too :thumbs: ...but loft isn't convertable, so we would have to "fiddle" about with the internal walls.... :whistle: to make it a 4 bed. Paid for another survey.......got it back today :crying: The building society have devalued it by �8,000 and are requesting a full structural survey to be carried out by a structural engineer, an full electrical survey and a full roof survey.... :tearful: Which have to be in our names, and which we apparantly have to cover the costs of :( It has scared the living daylights out of us, and I can see money being swallowed up, not just now, but in the future, nevermind trying to fund all the reports. DH and I are totally at the end of our tether........I've tried to stay positive through out it all, and I'm so fed up now :tearful: So now, we will have to find yet another property, hope our buyers hang on in there, pay for another survey.....DH has booked us in to view another bungalow this evening, back in the town by the sea...... :hypno::wacko:

It's made me wonder if the home buyers packs had been introduced, and we had had one, would it have saved us all the hassle and expense. Don't you have to have the survey carried out on your own home and searches etc????......I can only see that being a positive thing.

Sorry, it's not often I have a rant on the forum....off to eat.....anyone got a cardboard box going spare?

Broken Baggy x :wallbash:

Home buyers packs have been postponed until 1st August. It is then being phased in starting with houses that have 4 or more bedrooms. Hard to say if it would have picked up what your survey has said because I'm not 100% sure what the packs are going to cover.

In anycase, think about what this will do to the market...

At the moment there is a glut of property on the market because people were expecting the packs to come in and they didnt because of a lack of surveyors. I would expect this to continue until end of July.

In August, it would be prudent to start looking for 3 bedroom PLUS a study as this is the way that many people will get around the 4 bedroom ruling.

Good Luck.

KC

Hi

Hubby and I had been looking in Edinburgh for a bungalow for our 5 year old son. After a year and a half (after losing out on 4 properties) we found one with an amazing back garden. We moved in on Monday and things are very difficult indeed. It can be very difficult to look past the cosmetic stuff, but it could be a fantastic house. Robert loves the garden and it's going to make a huge difference to him (and us!). He's spent a lot of time bouncing away on his trampoline. Tree house gets built tomorrow! Regarding taking on a renovation project ... Don't be put off. If you've got a supportive family behind you and you know reliable tradesmen and you've got enough budget to scrape by, go for it. You've got to look at the long term picture. Having said that, you need to be realistic, if it could break the bank, walk away. Our bank asked for structural surveys, etc and they were okay with what they got.

Best wishes

Caroline.

Thanks to the both of you >:D<<'> I've slightly chilled out now :) Went to view the other bungalow, and the loft cannot be converted, so we will have to give it a miss, although it was beautiful. DH has been back into the agents dealing with the purchase of the one which the survey has picked lots of probs up on, and made it clear we will not pay for all the reports etc. It'd be cheaper for us to walk away and buy another. They were not even going to inform the vendor that the survey we had had done had devalued it by �8,000 until we had paid for all the reports and estimates......blimey, if they were my agents I'd be fuming. So, after DH going in, they are going to tell the vendor exactly was is happening, and see if a compromise can be made with regards paying for reports, then once they are done, we can renegotiate the purchase price.

Edited by Bagpuss

Best of luck with that, Bagpuss, moving can be so stressful can't it. >:D<<'> Try and focus on this time next year, when it should all be over and done with and you'll all be settled in nicely and all this hassle will be behind you. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Oh, this just gets better and better.......had another call from the agent this morning. The lady who is selling the bungalow wants to know if we pay for any work which is found to be essential.......seeing as the surveyor has devalued it by �8,000 I'd say not! We are already peeved about having to pay for the reports, which is going to costs hundreds, although she has agreed to go halves on those. You know, I always thought that if a survey picked up probs, the vendor, not the purchasers had to pay for further reports and work to be deemed essential. DH close to pulling out, he's had enough. I've got a horrible feeling that this is going to grind on and on and on, and that the vendor is not going to be willing to pay for the essential repairs.

:wacko::hypno::hypno::fight:

Oh dear, so sorry Bagpuss. :(>:D<<'>

It's a tricky one, isn't it, knowing whether it's best to stick with it or cut your losses and get out before you get in deeper and the bills get bigger. It's really painful when you've paid out money already, though, and you don't want to pull out and lose it. Sometimes it can be less painful to get out earlier rather than later and start again, though, but it's such an emotional roller-coaster isn't it when you start to feel fond of a place and can see yourself there, it's not easy to let go.

Best of luck with it. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Aw, Bagpuss :(>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> It's probably for the best. How about having a couple of days off from it and coming back to it fresh after a little break. Hope something perfect comes along for you soon. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi

Just seen this im so sorry for you :tearful: I know my friend who is in the middle of selling her house is having to get structual work done to it BEFORE contracts are exchanged and they are the ones paying for it NOT the buyers. You shouldnt have been expected to pay for wk done some people :wallbash:

I really hope things work out for you. My DH wants to move as he doesnt like our area but i just dont think i could do it at the min

take care>:D< >:D<<'>

Thanks Brooke and Mel >:D<<'> DH has had a chat with my uncle, who is in the building trade, and he said we have definately done the right thing pulling out. DH is actually chilled out now....been a difficult few days, with it hanging over us, and today has been particularly stressful with the girls, and it's really taken it's toll, especially on DH. Anyhow, we've got the girlies in bed, just eaten a gorgeous steak with pepper sauce, and feeling full of anticipation, although slightly dreading tomorrow, when we have to deal with the fall out from agents, sols, building society....for the second time :hypno: ........got to take youngest dd to hospital first thing, and should imagine I'll be on the phone for the rest of the day trying to sort the mess out, and look for other properties :wacko:

Hope you manage to get this sorted soon. I've only had to move a couple of times and never enjoy it. I think I'd stay put whatever if I could manage it. Might be another reason I've not left home yet. All the best, David. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi

Just wanted you to know im thinking of you and DD today hope everything goes ok with her appointment >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Brooke

Thanks Brooke >:D<<'> We are back from hospital. I've had to give her the day off, because they put drops in her eyes, to dilate the pupils, and it causes fuzzy vision for a while, so thought I'd bring her home, rather than drop her off at school, as she's prone to falling and bumping into things at the best of times. Well, it seems her short sightedness has become worse, to the extent that she now needs glasses. However, she also has a turn in her eye, and the lenses used will aggravate it. So, they are undecided what to do. They asked if we had noticed any thing at home or school, but explained due to the ASD she wouldn't comment about something being unclear or blurry, so we wouldn't know. We didn't even know she was short sighted as she'd initially been referred a few years back as her eyes kept rolling inwards. The Doc has decided to bring her back to hospital in 6 wks, and do another eye test, and make a decision then. They kept a note of the prescription needed for the glasses, should they decide to go ahead. I suppose it's one of those tricky situations isn't it.....do you treat one thing at the risk of causing further problems :unsure: Feeling ok about all the house malarky today, and sorted all the phone calls out etc. Trying to sort some more viewings out for this week, and waiting to hear if our buyers are happy to wait while we look for a third time :unsure: Thanks again, and take care >:D<<'>

Crikey, what a difference a day makes. Got a call from the owner of the estate agents today, to discuss DH and I withdrawing from purchase of bungalow. We discussed, at length, the reasons DH and I pulled out, and he agreed that the financial implications of all the reports and work were worrying, and that DH and I should not be responsible. He made an appt to go and talk to the owner, and has just rung back to let me after discussing it with her she will fund all the reports.....he will organise all the reports, and the owner will cover costs of all essential repairs found.......abit gobsmacked.....unlike me :blink: They will contact us when all the reports and estimates are back, and we can discuss if we definately want to go ahead with purchase.

Edited by Bagpuss

That sounds like a real result, Bagpuss! :thumbs: Do you think you'll go ahead with it once all the reports and work have been done? Sounds like they've realized they'll have no chance of selling to anyone until they get these things sorted. Hope it works out well for you. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Aw, thanks all >:D<<'> Yes, I should imagine we will go ahead once we have all the reports back Mel, at least we know the bungalow will of been thoroughly checked out from top to bottom, and any essential works will be paid for, give us huge peace of mind :) Still lost for words really.... :huh: Feel like a huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders.

Thanks David, appreciate it :)

Hi hadn't 'seen' you about on the boards for a while. sounds like you are having a right going on. glad that she is goiing to pay the funds for you!! we have all the this stress to come lol. had the house valued. hope you are all OK. bumped into your dh the other day, he says you are going to the group this week. my hubby is too as i am going away. hopefully will see you soon.

Liz

Thanks Liz >:D<<'> Yes, DH mentioned he'd bumped into you, hope you are ok. I'll be going to group this week, sorry that I'll miss you,...seems ages since we had a chat, missed so many due to my back. Hope to catch you next time, and fingers crossed for your move too hun, take care x

Edited by Bagpuss

Thanks Liz >:D<<'> Yes, DH mentioned he'd bumped into you, hope you are ok. I'll be going to group this week, sorry that I'll miss you,...seems ages since we had a chat, missed so many due to my back. Hope to catch you next time, and fingers crossed for your move too hun, take care x

Hi Again. how is your back now?

Mike went with the kids on friday, did you go? Mike tends to keep himself to himself usually. anyway I will be going next time.

well let me know when you finally move lol!

Liz

Hi Liz,

Back much better thanks...had lots and lots of physio some time ago, but the GP said it's oesteoarthritis, probably linked to the spinal surgery I had as a teenager.

Saw your dh and kiddies there. Youngest dd had a ball, eldest dd didn't go, as she was having a friend for tea, although she's joined Brownies now, so she hasn't gone for while.

They are discussing a possible day out at some point, which would be great.....good luck with it all Liz, and hope to catch you next time, take care >:D<<'>

Hi Liz,

Back much better thanks...had lots and lots of physio some time ago, but the GP said it's oesteoarthritis, probably linked to the spinal surgery I had as a teenager.

Saw your dh and kiddies there. Youngest dd had a ball, eldest dd didn't go, as she was having a friend for tea, although she's joined Brownies now, so she hasn't gone for while.

They are discussing a possible day out at some point, which would be great.....good luck with it all Liz, and hope to catch you next time, take care >:D<<'>

Hi again. sounds great if we have a day out somewhere, do you have any idea where we will go? just asked mike and he said Alison mention wet and wild or something, hmmm, I don't know about that one, me and swimming costume??? don't think so! :o lol

didn't know you had spinal surgery, what was that for (if you don't mind me asking) I understand pain though. I suffer from hypermobile syndrome, which could develop into arthritis. I get pain in all my joints (feel like an old women lol) I mainly get a very painful hip and shoulder and a bad knee. but then my fingers, back and wrist get get bad too. physio didn't really help though so gave up on that!

anyway am very very tired, it is 12.25, got to go to bed!

Take Care!!

Yes, Wet and Wild was suggested, although I also suggested Lightwater Valley, and I got the impression most people there preferred doing something outdoors, but of course, there is the weather to consider, and you know how unpredictable that is....don't be worrying about the cossie Liz, your half the size of me :D

I had a disc removed from my lower spine when I was 17, after traction and epidurals etc failed to work. I have to be careful how I bend and lift, especially with youngest dd having to have physical support when climbing in and out of bath, or car etc. My weight doesn't help TBH, and I find I have less probs when I'm slimmer.

The bungalow situation is beginning to take it's toll. Had a thumping head all day, and beginning to feel unwell with the stress. It's even beginning to affect DH. My mum is beginning to get quite concerned, bless her, and we have spent the afternoon with her. Still unsure what's happening, still waiting on reports......

Catch up properly at the next meeting hun, take care >:D<<'>

Yes, Wet and Wild was suggested, although I also suggested Lightwater Valley, and I got the impression most people there preferred doing something outdoors, but of course, there is the weather to consider, and you know how unpredictable that is....don't be worrying about the cossie Liz, your half the size of me :D

Aww thankyou, but I have put weight on and not sure the thing fits me still lol, I also don't like my legs lol, aren't we daft???

I had a disc removed from my lower spine when I was 17, after traction and epidurals etc failed to work. I have to be careful how I bend and lift, especially with youngest dd having to have physical support when climbing in and out of bath, or car etc. My weight doesn't help TBH, and I find I have less probs when I'm slimmer.

sounds painful![/size]

The bungalow situation is beginning to take it's toll. Had a thumping head all day, and beginning to feel unwell with the stress. It's even beginning to affect DH. My mum is beginning to get quite concerned, bless her, and we have spent the afternoon with her. Still unsure what's happening, still waiting on reports......

Catch up properly at the next meeting hun, take care >:D<<'>

yes take care, are you all coming this time? well see you soon! take care

Edited by LizC