Sign in to follow this  
soraya

schoolwork

Does anyone know of a good web site where you can get schoolwork to do at home? Nick is 13 and refuses to go to school, i am desparate for something to keep him busy during the day. The school are hopless!!!

Hi Soraya,

Only one I know is the BBC - bitesize - my daughter goes on this (she's nearly 14) when she's off school.

Take care,

Jb

Hi Been thinking about it and wondered if it was worth you looking at sites where parents home educate, that way you will get some support and more ideas.

there is education otherwise, website.

also what about a short course at college or an adult education centre, there may be some courses there that he may be able to enrol on that may interest him more, also in our area we have saturday courses where children from 10 can access them.

BBC Centres also have computer courses as well so look in your nearest BBC CENTRE.

Your local Educa centre should also be looking at an alternative plan for education also, so do ring them too.

JsMum

Depends how old your son is, but if primary aged, here's a good one:

http://www.educationcity.com/

Edit: sorry, I've just realised you said he's 13, so probably no good for you, but I can recommend it to anyone with primary aged children. :)

Edited by jomica

Here's a link for free KS3 practice SATS papers (also KS1 and KS2).

http://www.satspapers.co.uk

Spartacus is a good website for information, no worksheets but very interesting stuff on lots of subjects. We regularly use it for homework and projects. Perhaps you could do a project on something your son's interested in.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/

Does your son's school subscribe to SAM Learning? Most schools in our area have signed up, some encourage the kids to use it more than others, my son's school expect them to clock up a certain number of hours per term which they can monitor at school but we weren't even aware my daughter's school subscribed. She didn't even know her login, we found out by accident on the school website and had to ask what her login was. It's very good for online revision. You can get a report telling you how many hours they've spent on the site and what work they've been doing, how well they did etc.

Not sure if you can get a free trial, I think the website is:-

www.samlearning.co.uk

When we had trouble getting my son to school a while back I made him watch the school programs that were on most mornings. We also watched selected programs on the History Channel, National Geographic and Animal Planet which was a bit of a hardship, NOT!!!! I think he learns far more from tv and books on stuff that interests him (rainforest, volcanoes, sharks, tornadoes, that sort of thing) than he ever does in school sitting in a classroom all day. I think he just switches off. Typical AS, his attitude is, if it's not something that interests him, whats the point and why should he have to learn it??

Thanks everyone for all your replies, i shall try a lot of the sites, also the history channel is a very good idea

I was just going to say Sam Learning. I had no notes for revision for GCSES well I was not interested in looking at them! I couldnt learn from revision books but used Sam Learning and I swear its that that got me the grades I did!