Kathryn

Are you going Harry - Potty this weekend? (NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!)

As you probably know, the last Harry Potter book is being released at midnight on Friday. :dance:

Both my children want to go the one of the Harry Potter events which most of the bookshops are putting on on Friday night, and buy the book as soon as it goes on sale. I'm a bit dubious about L's ability to cope with crowds, excitement, noise and the inevitable balloons, but we'll see. :unsure: It's the end of an era, I guess, so we'll probably do it. We nearly turned out for book 6, then promised ourselves we'd do it for the last one. :rolleyes:

So what's it like in your house? Will you and yours be among the frenzied crowds when the book goes on sale at midnight? Have you cleared your diary so you have the time to read it over the weekend? Will you be buying multiple copies so everyone in your house can read it at once? Are you desperate to know the ending? Or couldn't you care less about the whole business?

K x

Not in any rush to get it unlike one of my friends who has been going on about it for weeks. Even got a text telling me when it dispached (Monday) from a well known online retailer. One of the other LSAs at my work is as bad too so having to put up with lots of people hyper about it. I'll probably buy a copy but not in any rush to do so. It might make good reading for my flight to Kenya though so might get it more quickly than I had planned. I hope you have a good time at the event and also enjoy the book.

Here is a fun article from IGN to wet your appetite. http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/805/805707p1.html

I'm with David. I'll read it some time but I'm in no rush. In a month or so, supermarkets especially, will be wanting to shift their stock and I'll buy it when it's greatly reduced. Actually (and this will sound strange) I'd rather read it once the plot has been widely spread round and I know what will happen, who dies etc etc. I don't like the surprise element - if I didn't know what was going to happen, I would have to read the last few chapters first so I could settle into reading the book!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::wacko:

Nah, we'll wait for a copy to become available at our library or might even go mad and put our name on the waiting list at the library, but we're not in any rush here. :whistle:

~ Mel ~

I'm with David. I'll read it some time but I'm in no rush. In a month or so, supermarkets especially, will be wanting to shift their stock and I'll buy it when it's greatly reduced. Actually (and this will sound strange) I'd rather read it once the plot has been widely spread round and I know what will happen, who dies etc etc. I don't like the surprise element - if I didn't know what was going to happen, I would have to read the last few chapters first so I could settle into reading the book!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::wacko:

B doesn't mind not knowing the plot before hand in books, but he has to know in films or he gets very stressed and irritable.

Fortunately, he and I have similar tastes, so I don't mind going to see the film without him first, then telling him what happens. He loves the HP films, but is less enthusiastic about the books. Too much dialogue, not enough description of scenery etc.

We'll get the book, probably some time before the end of the summer, and then he and OH read it together as a bedtime story. B is currently working his way through the Wolf Brother trilogy at the moment, and really enjoying it. He's finally stopped reading Eldest on loop feed, and a good thing too as the book is disintegrating fast. Don't make 'em like they used to!

B doesn't mind not knowing the plot before hand in books, but he has to know in films or he gets very stressed and irritable.

I think that's one of the reasons I like to watch films several times and enjoy them much more the second time. I don't have to worry about what might happen and I can enjoy the film.

I used to read The Lord of the Rings like that. Occasionally stopping to add The Hobbit in as well. It wasn't till I got to University that I really widened my horisons to include other fantasy books. Have enjoyed the Wheel of Time series since then and also The Sword of Truth series. I think I've read Eldest but don't recognise the 'Wolf Brother Trilogy' what is it about? Very recently also been enjoying the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. Though that series gets a bit complex at times and has a lot of characters. Lord of the Rings is still my favourite though. Also got Tolkien's new book to read a some stage. Children of Hurin. Must admit I often find I have to no what happens at the finish so sometimes find myself reading the end first. I thought that was a normal sort of thing to do. :rolleyes:

Harry Who?

Never heard of him...

A teenage wizard? Goes to a magic school? Fights against the powers of darkness and evil?

Dragons, and elves and goblins and giants?

All sounds a bit derivative to me!

And adults read it too????

Written by a woman?

Must be that Ursula K LeGuinn thing I read years ago... Don't remember any "Harry's" though!

:P

Must admit I often find I have to no what happens at the finish so sometimes find myself reading the end first. I thought that was a normal sort of thing to do. :rolleyes:

Not according to the stupid counsellor I once saw. I was psycho-analysed to the nth-degree for admitting this. Nothing to do with AS of course - couldn't have that if I could read could I? :angry::wallbash:

I think that's one of the reasons I like to watch films several times and enjoy them much more the second time. I don't have to worry about what might happen and I can enjoy the film.

I like to watch a good film more than once for different reasons. It takes me ages to work out what's going on and I often wallow in confusion for a while.I drive my other half mad - "who's he?" " where are they now?" etc.. By the second viewing I've usually sorted it all out. :rolleyes:

I think L will be the first in our family to finish Harry Potter and will probably turn to the end first too, because she doesn't like surprises.

Whether you like HP or not, one thing JK Rowling has certainly done, she's got chilidren hooked on books, some for the first time. Before she came on the scene, when did it happen that the launch of a children's book was a major national and international event? It's heartening to find that in this technological age, books still rule. :dance:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

I still insist that everytime I read The Lord of the Rings that I find something I missed before or manage to understand an event that happened better. That's after at least 30 readings too. I still remember that I used to just finish the book and then go to the start again. Actually I think I need to take LOTR to Kenya with me. It's 2 years since I last read it. Far too long in my opinion. :)

Only counsellor I can ever remember meeting thinks I'm on the spectrum. Not sure whether to believe her as she is a bit zanny (at least one person on here could back me up on that). Having said that she is the person I get on best with at my present school. She told me we have to stay in contact as she finds me really interesting to study. (I think she was teasing. Not 100% though.) Might have to look up Semantic Pragmatic Disorder at some stage. I think that is what she told me I fit fairly well. SENCO agreed too. Still not worked out if they were just winding me up or not though. :unsure: They often do wind me up a bit. Well make that a lot. It tends to all be light hearted good fun though. :)

Must admit I often find I have to no what happens at the finish so sometimes find myself reading the end first. I thought that was a normal sort of thing to do. :rolleyes:

I do it all the time!

And you and I feel the same about LOTR and The Hobbit, although being decades older than you, I'm now on my fourth or fifth copy due to disintegration of the text.

Mumble, some counsellors are just dippy, hippy witches who can't just let something 'Be'

Everything has to be dissected and attributed, or cut to fit their personal beliefs.

And some are worth their weight in rubies.

Sadly, it seems to be pot-luck what you get.

Edited by Bard

JP is first in the queue in our house. He's been rereading Rowlings entire oeuvre in preparation. And my daughter is coming home this weekend especially to collect her copy as its being delivered to our house. She's already seen the latest film, we're waiting till the crowds die down a bit.

I can't wait.... :dance:

Can't understand anyone who doesn't like the Harry Potter story!!! I'm getting 4 copies on Saturday... for my mum, Suze, Bill and me! Or we'd all be fighting over it. We've done that with the past 3 books, expensive but worth it. One of my friends has even booked herself into a hotel in the Lake District to get away from her family so she can read it in peace! If I could I'd join her :rolleyes:

Katheryn we won't be there at midnight, but we'll be buying our copies at 9am on Saturday morning then hot tailing it home to get reading...

Flozza :D

You probably think we are sad none of us have read any Potter books in this house, not really my thing and my lad won't touch anything that is non factual though funnily Pokemon don't count, cause they are real !!!! Went to a friend's today and she is planning a Harry Potter party for Saturday, she is so excitied about it and we're talking adults here not children, can't understand it myself.

All said and done guys.....please do enjoy any events you may go to and enjoy your read.

Clare x x x

Last weekend the film (missed the end as Kerre had to leave half way through), this weekend the book (or more likely books - just to stop the arguments). I usually get round to reading it after the fuss has died down.

Kerre loves Terry Pratchett books and another son has been reading, and re-reading the Redwall series of books for about the past six years - we all have a good laugh as they're full of such gems as:

"Ho boi urr, that they be. Oi reckons that be whurr the teeth o'land reaches up to ate woollen sheeps, wi'they gurt'eads in clouds" - priceless!

Happy reading everyone! Does that mean it will be a quiet weekend here?

Barefoot

Last weekend the film (missed the end as Kerre had to leave half way through), this weekend the book (or more likely books - just to stop the arguments). I usually get round to reading it after the fuss has died down.

Kerre loves Terry Pratchett books and another son has been reading, and re-reading the Redwall series of books for about the past six years - we all have a good laugh as they're full of such gems as:

"Ho boi urr, that they be. Oi reckons that be whurr the teeth o'land reaches up to ate woollen sheeps, wi'they gurt'eads in clouds" - priceless!

Happy reading everyone! Does that mean it will be a quiet weekend here?

Barefoot

Both my kids ADORED the Redwall series - JP still quotes from them.

Be this English? :unsure::unsure:

I think I'll stick to the factual books . . . :lol: :lol:

How many of you will be standing (in the rain?) tonight to pick up the latest and final edition of the boy wizard series?

We will be, well, I lie, my husband will be taking our son to get the must-have book at Borders. And a goody bag to boot!

And has anyone else noticed this? My hubby thinks that JK must have had plastic surgery done to her face. What say you? Or has she access to magical powers after all? Or has she found the philosopher's stone, which, btw, we all know, stops the aging process and allows us to become immortal...

ddh

Well, we'll be up at the crack of dawn waiting for Parcelforce.....

Wot does she need plastic surgery for, she looked perfectly alright before. Not seen her lately so dont know.

Sorry Kathryn,

Didn't see this post. I am still having trouble navigating around the forum. That's what I get for being such a newbie! I fail to see the new posts sometimes, and how to get onto topics. I keep getting lost.

ddh

my steve not into harry potter at all,i think its brilliant that its got so many kids and adults into reading though,i love reading but ive never read a harry potter book yet

Sorry Kathryn,

Didn't see this post. I am still having trouble navigating around the forum. That's what I get for being such a newbie! I fail to see the new posts sometimes, and how to get onto topics. I keep getting lost.

ddh

Don't worry ddh, no problem. I've merged the two threads now, hope that's OK. :)

JK was on Blue Peter this evening, I thought she looked great. She's not that old I think. She's a bit younger than me, that's all I know! And a darn sight richer... :rolleyes:

K x

We went to the bookshop just before 11 pm with younger son - L opted not to come. The atmosphere was great, all the staff were dressed up and there were lots of activities going on. The queue started at 11 and we joined it - the time went really quickly as there was plenty of reading material to hand. :lol: Two of my son's schoolfriends were also there and they had a great time playing around the shop. We counted down to midnight and at 12 precisely the staff came running down the shop with trolleyloads of books.

I'm so glad we got two copies. My son retired upstairs with his, and read till he fell asleep (so glad it's school holidays!). L and I read the first four chapters to each other by which time we were a bit hoarse so we had a wonderful relaxed time speculating about the plot, and chatting about books generally until I realised it was 4.30 am and getting light. :o We haven't had many happy times like that in recent years.

Today something really rare and strange is happening in our house. The TV, X box, PSP, and computer have been abandoned, there's no sound in our house but the gentle turning of pages. JK Rowling I salute you. :notworthy::)

I look forward to getting on with the book when I can get my hands on a copy. :lol: Judging by what I've read so far it's a cracker. :thumbs:

Don't worry - I won't give away any plot details here! Please please don't anyone else do it either, I beg you. :pray:

K x

Auriel was off to the local supermarket at midnight to get his copy, and has been lying in bed reading it since (upto p.265). He had threatened to stand in the queue and read out the last page :shame::ph34r: but as he got home in one piece we're assuming he didn't! :lol:

The other copy from Amazon is still unopened as I'm too busy today!! :o:crying: I probably won't even be able to take it to work tonight, as I expect DD1 will grab it when she gets in from a partay :( Although Big A is now promising to finish by then, so maybe... :pray:

Boho :dance:

Guest Lya of the Nox

ds is working today but got his copy at 9 ish and is NOT going out tonite cos he has a book to read lol

x

JP was up at 8 this morning waiting for Parcelforce. S had driven 30 miles & stopped overnight to collect her copy. I left a post it on the front door asking Harry Potter Man to knock as well as ring as the bell doesnt always work!

Still hadnt arrived by 11, couldnt bear the grumpiness so off I went to buy paint from Homebase, just after I returned the van arrived, 2 excited children (aged 17 and 22 :rolleyes: ) jumping up & down with relief.

Both made a start immediately, however JP has gone to see Shrek 3 this afternoon so S is now well ahead of him. I wont get a look in for a while.

Thanks for merging the two, Kathryn. Good idea Batman! Are you the caped Crusader?

Ds went with hubby to pick up his book last night at midnight, but despite the crowds of people the atmosphere was decidedly low key and as my husband put it, sad and tragic. What a shame really. Ds insisted on being taken home just after midnight and didnt get his copy until this morning when hubby went back again to said shop to get it! (And the goody bag - which was basically a marketing bag of their other goods on offer! :shame: )

Ds spent good part of day reading HP book and will no doubt spend the rest of the evening doing the same.

Enjoy your books everyone!

ddh

I've been reading it all day. The kids are away with their dad for the weekend so no interuptions.... :dance:

It's brilliant! I'm just fighting the impulse to dip into it further on to get clues :shame:

I'll be finished soon at the rate I'm going.

Flora :thumbs:

Well I hope you are all feeling very proud of yourselves!! :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame:

I have sucumbed to forum pressure and purchased myself a copy. I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was than the advertised price - I was looking for a catch but I guess the supermarkets are trying to outdo each other. They can't be making any profit. Though I think the checkout person was a little peterbed that I just went for that and a half price ginger cake :eat::lol:

I've also got a copy. Decided it would make good in flight entertainment. Need something to last about 8 hours or so. Also got various learning to read type books (Bear Hunt, Griffalow, etc...) that thought the younger 2 children in Kenya might find interesting. They don't really get many books like those out there. Some are quite English though so will be interesting to know what they make of them. Got a Paddinton Bear one too. Wish I could find my copy of the Lion King too as I want to find out what they sing at the begining of the circle of life. Never managed to find out online.

EDIT: Don't plan on touching it till monday though.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

I've also got a copy. Decided it would make good in flight entertainment. Need something to last about 8 hours or so. Also got various learning to read type books (Bear Hunt, Griffalow, etc...) that thought the younger 2 children in Kenya might find interesting. They don't really get many books like those out there. Some are quite English though so will be interesting to know what they make of them. Got a Paddinton Bear one too. Wish I could find my copy of the Lion King too as I want to find out what they sing at the begining of the circle of life. Never managed to find out online.

I love the Gruffelow (the book not the monster!!) Was toying with having him as my user name before settling on Mumble as he describes me pretty acurately too!!!! :lol: :lol:

Do you mean the words for circle of life or something else?:

Nants ingonyama bagithi baba [There comes a lion]

Sithi uhhmm ingonyama [Oh yes, it's a lion]

Nants ingonyama bagithi baba [There comes a lion]

Sithi uhhmm ingonyama [Oh yes, it's a lion]

Ingonyama

Siyo Nqoba [We're going to conquer]

Ingonyama

Ingonyama nengw' enamabaal [it's a lion and a tiger]

[repeats 5]

Ingonyama nengw' enamabala (Se-to-kwa!)

Ingonyama nengw' enamabala (Asana)

[repeats 1]

From the day we arrive on the planet

And, blinking, step into the sun . . .

Edited by Mumble

At the start of circle of life something is chanted in the background. I'm fairly certain it is Kiswahili. Not sure it is on the soundtrack or could have used that. Do have it on DVD somewhere. It just hasn't got back to the correct box. Seem to remember it was after last time (took it then but never got the chance to ask) when it sat round my dads for ages. I then brought it back in a case with another DVD. Looks like I forgot to remove it when I got it here. Now can't find it. I know where the bonus disc is though. :rolleyes: In the correct case. :wallbash: Sat and looked through a load of our DVDs earlier. Will probably look through some more later on.

I see my spelling was as good as normal too. Hadn't read the Gruffelow before but had noticed it at the special school and heard it recommended somewhere else recently. When I actually read it thought it was a great story. I love all the rhyming and the way the little mouse manages to come out on top. It is nice to see the underdog win through cunning. Also found a second hand copy of Disney's Brother Bear when down town so thought I'd take them that as well. It is a nice story with some good morals. Only cost �4 so was cheap.

Apparently mum also has the Now We Are 6 stories for me to take. Trying to get all the last bits I need together for me to take now.

Mum is presently reading the new Harry Potter book we got. She'll have to be quick to get through it. One of our friends also arrived with a copy in tow.

EDIT: Yes that is the bit I meant Mumble. I thought it was set in Kenya so why does it mention Tigers. There are not any tigers in Kenya. I really like that song though. That said The Lion King has long been my fav. Disney film. Probably followed by Brother Bear. Aladdin would be near the top too. :D

Edited by David Matthew Baker

I thought it was set in Kenya so why does it mention Tigers. There are not any tigers in Kenya.

Ah no, not quite. It's set in the fictional Pride Lands of Africa. The film-makers/animators went to Kenya to observe animals in the wild in order to get them as acurate in their movements as possible, but the film itself is not set in any real location - it is fictional - which means they can have the tigers in it.

The Lion King has long been my fav. Disney film. Probably followed by Brother Bear. Aladdin would be near the top too. :D

The Lion King is my favourite. I don't like aladdin as I have a strange thing about cartoon 'people'. Bambi's my second favourite.

How did we get onto the Lion King from HP? :unsure::unsure: Sorry people!! :lol: :lol:

Enjoyed watching the Lion King in Giant Format a while back in Durham. Just after we got our Giant Cinema screen. That is no longer used I don't think. Not for large format shows anyway. Still wish they'd gone to a full IMAX though.

We got onto The Lion King from HP because my mind just links things as normal. As I went into a book shop to buy HP I mentioned the other books. Then got side tracked mentioning what I purchased down the market which in tern led me to mentioning that I wish I could find the Lion King. Quite logical really. :unsure::unsure:

DS went to a sleepover last night and his friend has a copy. He said he asked if he could borrow it, and just read the end :shame: I've never read any of the books, but love the films.

We just happened to be in a large bookstore today, buying a copy of 'The London Eye Mystery' and a Tour de France book and DH was standing in a massive queue of people clutching HPs waiting to pay. There was a nice display of them piled up by the door so I just ambled over and thought I'd have a quick glance at the last few pages, as you do! Jay sauntered over and was reading over my shoulding and, when I realized, I had to snap it shut quickly and hush him before he blurted out something vital!! I don't think all the peeps in the queue would have been that chuffed, we probably would have started a riot or been lynched!! :o:whistle::lol:

~ Mel ~