Siadwell

Carers allowance

A little question about CA, we have just renewed our DLA (the same rate) for our son, does anybody know if you have to renew the CA or does it run on automatically?

Sorry don't know the answer to this, but I am sure someone will come along who does. Please may I ask what is the criteria for applying for CA we already get DLA ????

Clare x x x

hi Clare

If you get dla at middle or higher rate you qualify for ca. phone up the dla and ask for a form. Its much easier to fill out than the dla!!!!

Good luck

Stella x

Hi, It's me again!

I have just called the Carers Department, they said that as long as there are no payment breaks in between your old claim and the renewal claim you will be fine, so basically for example if your old claim stops July 2007 and the renewal is from Aug 2007 there are no forms to be filled!

Only if there is a gap in between should you contact them on 01253 856 123

Lisa xxx

I get CA and just get a form to fill in occasionally comfirming whether or not my circumstances are still the same.

K x

Thanks for that Lisa, hopefully it will be payed, just have to wait and see... :whistle:

You're welcome, Siadwell!

While I was on I checked out the claim I have, El's DLA has just been renewed also, so they confirmed the Carers I recieve will run on as usual!

Lisa xx

Edited by ellisisamazing

hi Clare

If you get dla at middle or higher rate you qualify for ca. phone up the dla and ask for a form. Its much easier to fill out than the dla!!!!

Good luck

Stella x

Thanks Stella, I'll give them a call.

Clare x x x

Thanks Kathryn,

I remembered that when we got the DLA that I checked and found out that since hubby and me are working full time we are not entitled to received carers' allowance.

I thought that you can't get carers allowans if you earn more than �87 per week. Is this correct ??

i thought i read somehwere that is has gone up to �95 per week you can earn...not certain so dont take as gospel...

No, it's still �87 - alas. (Recently increased from �83 though).

I work part time with variable hours so it's something I have to keep an eye on all the time. :wacko:

K x

Kathryn, the earning allowance rose to �95 a week as of 1st October.

No one bothered to actually tell us carers,I only found out whilst on Carers UK last week.

Really?!

Thanks Lorry, (and apologies, Paula for doubting you!) :notworthy:

You're right, no one's bothered to tell us about the change, have they?! :wallbash:

Just checked the Directgov site and I see now the new amount is quietly mentioned here - but they haven't exactly bothered to flag it up. :angry:

Thanks guys , once again this forum comes up trumps - reaching the parts other sources of information don't reach. :dance:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

cant claim it if you are a student though ..seemingly you cant try to better yourself and care for your child at the same time :unsure:

Hmmmm it always makes me cross too. I care for O constantly when he's here and for the majority of the night too. But because I work 3 days a week can't claim. I would not spend the money on myself if I did get it but would save it for O's future. Feel penalised for working but still am a 'carer'

xxx

Good news! I received a letter this morning saying that I'm entitled to Carer's Allowance. That's a huge weight of my shoulders now.

Good news! I received a letter this morning saying that I'm entitled to Carer's Allowance. That's a huge weight of my shoulders now.

Great news Pauline & you didn't have to wait long to hear back from them either!! :dance:

Have applied myself a couple of days ago :pray:

Quick question on DLA, how long does it usually take for them to make a decision - we seem to have been waiting for ages - it possibly isn't that long just feels it!!! :unsure:

Quick question on DLA, how long does it usually take for them to make a decision - we seem to have been waiting for ages - it possibly isn't that long just feels it!!! :unsure:

Hi Allie :)

I applied for my son on the 17th of September & i phoned up Monday this week & was told of his award!! Can take anything up to 8-12 weeks i think, i was lucky they were pretty quick with my son's.

Caroline x

Hi Caroline

It was mid August, we've had 2 letters since telling us that they are dealing with it. I think I will give them a call on Monday to see whats happening.

Thanks for the help.

Allie

Hi Allie :)

I'd definately give them a ring Monday morning, you might be pleasently surprised & they might tell you over the phone their decision, they did with me Monday this week & the award letter arrived in the post this morning confirming this - Good Luck

Caroline xx >:D<<'>