• First child on spectrum
    • Second child on spectrum
    • Third child on spectrum
    • Fourth child on spectrum
    • Fifth child on spectrum
    • Sixth child on spectrum
    • Seventh child on spectrum
    • Eighth child on spectrum

Hello, I thought it would be interesting to see if there was any pattern between sibling position and a spectrum dx....thanks in advance.

Edited: I realised that different parentage could make a difference but this is only a straw poll, not a scientific exercise!

I can't vote either, not sure why....does anybody know how to 'enable' a poll? Thanks.

Edited by Tjololo

But you also have to factor in different fathers!

My eldest DS has AS, but then I remarried before having 3 more children.

Also, I couldn't get the vote to work??

Bid :)

Edited by bid

My son is our second child of two, but my hubby has aspergers. I couldn't get the vote to work either for some reason.

Lynne x

I tried to vote but it wont allao you to vote in only one catagory. I think you have to check one box in each which is not the point of the exercise.

Anyway, I have 4 children the second and fourth have ASD.

I have 2 sons, the oldest has AS.

I was wondering about this on Friday as I went on a NAS Help course and of those on my table, it was always the eldest affected.

Hmmm ... can't comment on positions as only one nipper!

With regard to the poll not working, I think it's 'cos you've effectively got five polls in one thread and they're tripping over one another's answers(?)

Showing my complete ignorance (I've never done a poll before!), I don't know a way round it, but hopefully those clever admin peeps or one of the sharper mods might have an answer... :unsure:

L&P

BD :D

Still waiting on dx but suspected AS she is my middle of 3 girls. Different Father to the eldest and same as my youngest who although only 7 months is concerned if I leave her and crawling already :clap: so hoping these are good signs as other dd was late meeting milestones.

As BD said, perhaps one of the sharper mods will be along to help us. :unsure::whistle: I've just tried experimentally checking all the boxes which is why you have one vote registered - ignore it!

Interesting questions though. Perhaps some other bright spark can think of an alternative way of setting this poll up to make it work?!

K x

two children. first and hubby on spectrum, second got traits.

As BD said, perhaps one of the sharper mods will be along to help us. :unsure::whistle: I've just tried experimentally checking all the boxes which is why you have one vote registered - ignore it!

Interesting questions though. Perhaps some other bright spark can think of an alternative way of setting this poll up to make it work?!

K x

How many options does a single poll allow? If it's fairly unlimited, could this not be combined into one poll? i.e:

What is the position of those with a dignosis in your family?

1 of 1

1st of 2

2nd of 2

Both of 2

1st of 3

2nd of 3

3rd of 3

1&2 of 3

2&3 of 3

All of 3

1st of 4

2nd of 4

3rd of 4

4th of 4

1&2 of 4

1&3 of 4

1&4 of 4

2&3 of 4

2&4 of 4

3&4 of 4

1&2&3 of 4

1&2&4 of 4

1&3&4 of 4

2&3&4 of 4

All of 4

I have more than 4 children and have typed my answer in below as text

Would this work? :unsure:

Hi

I don't know about siblings - only the one child - but I do wonder about parents. I think my husband may have AS - or certainly many of the traits. I display some behaviours, but I suspect not enough to register if we even went for a diagnosis.

Hi Mumble, I think the maximum number of entries that a single poll question can accommodate is 25...your list comprises 26 separate entries (although adding in an option for '1&3 of 3' would make 27) however, as the poll is about sibling position, only children could realistically be excluded. This would then reduce the list to 26 entries. I guess the option 'I have more than 4 children and have typed my answer in below as text' could be removed in order to reduce the list to 25 entries; anybody falling into that category could still type up their answer.

I don't see why this would not work. I do realise, however, that the data for half-siblings could potentially alter the results but the poll is only for fun.

Hi, my second of 4 is Dx ASD....but he should have been the third ! You see, he's a twin and was "second in the queue" until his siter got distressed and I ended up with an emergency Caesarian....and he beat her out. Number 1 has a few traits too. And as for Hubby!!!!

In fact, only 20 entries are permitted per poll question.

I guess one way around this constraint would be the insertion a 'dummy' entry into each separate poll.....the correct vote could then be cast together with a load of 'dummy' votes to satisfy the poll parameters. I'll give it a try and see if it works..

OK folks, here is Version 2.0 of this poll....

Please ensure that each 'dummy' box is checked in each sub poll apart from the sub-poll that contains your answer.

When it comes to half-siblings, please use the following example to determine their position:

First child of Mr X & Mrs Y = non ASD

First child of Mr Z & Mrs Y = ASD

Second child of Mr Z & Mrs Y = non ASD

In this case, the sibling position of the 'middle' child in this family is actually 'First child on spectrum'

I hope this will work now, thanks in advance for your input :D

Edited by Tjololo

Are you supposed to tick multiple boxes (i.e. tick 1st... and tick second...) or tick just the box that says 1st and 2nd, because some have this option and some don't? :unsure:

Tjololo :clap:

Well done for making it work - I just couldn't see a way of doing it. :rolleyes:

I've managed to merge the topics so the new poll and all the previous posts from the other thread are here. Hope it makes sense, more or less!

I ticked first child of two, on the spectrum, by the way! :D

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Glad it's working!

Hi Mumble, I would expect that if a family comprises >2 children but only the eldest (say) is ASD, then the box entitled, 'First child on spectrum' would be checked. If however, the first and third child of that same family were ASD, then I would expect that the box entitled, 'First and third child on spectrum' would be checked, rather than two separate boxes (one for 'first child' and one for 'third child').

Please could I ask that the members who typed in their answers to the original post, now cast a vote? Thanks in advance.