Bagpuss

A Week's Residential Trip

Please send lots of positive vibes our way. Eldest dd 10 AS is going away tomorrow, for a week's residential school trip. I've had alot of probs trying to get her suitable clothing which she will tolerate, but we've got there in the end. She has no qualms about leaving us :unsure: and is really excited, bless her. I had to work with her the past few weeks, trying to show her how to wash her own hair and brush it. She's been growing it, and it is long, and thick, and because she can't bare any bobble in, usually tangled and knotted, even with lots of detangler. She's been in tears, because she finds it so painful to try and brush her hair. I suggested she got it cut, and after thinking about it, she agreed :thumbs: I took her to a really trendy salon, and she came out looking like Cleopatra :wub: They did a fantastic job, even straightened it all for her. She is sharing her room with her best friend (although this is the friend I suspect took her fav pokemon card, so none of them will be going with her). She's been at two sleepovers this weekend, and is doing so well. So, so proud of her. Think I'll be struggling to hold back the tears when I wave her off tomorrow. :tearful:

Good luck tomorrow!

I went away for a week with school when I was 11. They thought I would make some friends if they put me in a room where I didn't know anyone and put all my friends in the other room. In the end they let me sleep in with my friends. But despite that, I had a good time. I hope your daughter does too.

You won't be the only mum crying tomorrow, I bet!

Thanks all >:D<<'>

She's all packed and ready to go...I'm feeling a bit emotional about tomorrow. Never been away from her for so long, she's not in the least bit bothered :lol: When DH collected her from her sleepover this morning, her friend's mum said dd had ended up sleeping in another room to the other 3 girlies, because she wanted to sleep, and they were keeping her awake with their giggling, bless her :wub:

She's gone :tearful: with not so much as a backwards glance, which is good I suppose :unsure: I had to walk away quickly when the bus pulled off, with a huge lump in my throat.

It's not often I get to see her with a group of friends, and while all the parents and kiddies were waiting in the main hall for the bus to arrive, I noticed how awkward she appeared amongst them. Quietly taking a back seat, not speaking much, following the pack. She is so able, that it sometimes comes as a sharp reminder. She tends to hunch over a little now when walking, abit stiffly and fiddles continually with her fingers, ie twisiting clothing, buttons etc. I don't think she notices it herself, or is aware.......I don't even think she does feel uncomfortable, or recognises that she may be. Sorry, abit off track there.

I'm sure she'll have a smashing time.

>:D<<'> Baggy >:D<<'>

I know what you mean.... JP's ESW mentioned his "gait", I'm so used to him I thought, what? But yes, he was right, he does stand out. But like your lass, he doesnt seem to notice.

She will have a lovely time & you will be glad she had the courage to go.

It's always scary, waving them off with a smile on your face and lots of positive words when inside you're worried and uncertain. Letting children try new things, out of our reach as parents, is hard.

Well done Baggy, and like me, I bet you're sleeping with your mobile, ready to do the International Rescue bit.

And also like me, I bet that after a week of erratic sleep and living on your nerves and chocolate, you will watch her bounce back through the door full of new experiences and no thought of how much you missed them.

B's first few words to me were usually 'Gerrof!' and 'Stop touching me, there are people here!'

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> :D

:lol: When I gave dd a huge hug before she left, she said in a totally dead pan voice "Your strangling me".

I was wittering on this morning, to dh, about how she may be getting on, and he said "She'll be fine, down a cave, having a ball, try not to worry"

I was "DOWN A CAVE. :unsure: ...DOWN A CAVE :o .....WHAT DO YOU MEAN, DOWN A CAVE!!!!??????" :rolleyes:

I know in my heart she will really enjoy herself, she loves being outdoors, and she has a lovely group of friends. They are allowed to write a letter home, so I'm looking forward to getting that :D

Sorry all, just realised I never updated this thread once she got home.

She had a fantastic time :thumbs::thumbs:

She said she wasn't homesick at all, and is looking forward to going on another week long trip in June.