brooke

is this an asd thing?

i was just wondering i have been noticing more that when my son has done something say at school or been out without me when he later comes to talk to me about it he expects me to already know what he is talking about and also expects me to answer questions about what he's done, which sometimes i cant because i dont know what he has done. IYSWIM :hypno: He doesnt seem to understand that if i wasnt there then i dont automatically know what he is talking about. Is this part of his asd, just wondered really and i would be interested to know if anyone elses child is the same :D

Brooke

its to do with theory of mind and not understanding what other people know and dont know, it can be quite a problem with some children with ASD, we have children at school who often start a conversation thinking you have much more prior knowledge of the event than you actually do. It can be a big problem when they are expected to write stories too because they just can't understand that the reader isnt in their head (so to speak)

you could try comic strips, drawing out the incident with him and getting him to explain it to you that way

Thank you summertime that really helps, it funny you mention writing storeys as my son is really struggling at school with this so i expect that is why. Thanks again >:D<<'>

It sounds very much like what M expects from me! He is always asking me about things that he has looked at on the computer or maybe told me about weeks ago or wanting answers to things I know nothing about. Then he gets angry with me cos he thinks I should know. So I can understand what you mean. it is soooooooo frustrating :wallbash:

Kieran is exactly the same if he says something and i say what about something he says you should know.Eg if we are going into town on the rare occasion he leaves the house when we get there i will say to him what are you going to buy today and he just says you should know.So unless ive gained telepathy ive no idea.We also have a thing he does like a code he will say can i have a ca ma now ive deciphered this code so i know that ca ma means a car mag and ta stas means thomas stickers and so goes on.Does any one else have this? Its the sort of thing id expect from a younger child he is 22 in may but he is behind in learnuing age

lynn

Hi Brooke, my dd does the same and also starts a conversation with you halfway through cos shes been thinking about it in her head so we should know what she's on about!!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Louby my son also does this too, starts his conversation in the middle as if i know what he's been thinking :rolleyes:

hiya, yep my daughter does it a lot and my son occasionally does it, it drives me batty with jasmine as i never know what she is on about and it can be a frustrating time for both of us until i twig what she is thinking of, which can take several hours sometimes as she starts talking about things that happened months ago

Yes, we have the same thing here! T. will start talking about something that may have happened years ago as if the event has just happened and expect me to know what he is on about straight away. Likewise he seems to think that I am some great oracle and should know everything about everything. He's always had a bit of a thing about car insurance companies such as their phone numbers, catch phrases and characters etc, we quite often talk about which car insurance I have got but he just doesn't seem to understand that unlike him I don't hold all their details in my brain. Just incase anyone is interested Churchill is his favourite at the moment!

Janey

My son is the king of this.. drives me nuts though it is kind of sweet in its own way. He will talk about something as if I was there and can get quite frustrated when I explain I DON'T have the foggiest what he is on about. he has learning diffs too and combined with his obsessions means I can never be quite wherever his head is at!!

In some ways I think it's nice he thinks I'm omnicient... :):):)

Julesx

i was just wondering i have been noticing more that when my son has done something say at school or been out without me when he later comes to talk to me about it he expects me to already know what he is talking about and also expects me to answer questions about what he's done, which sometimes i cant because i dont know what he has done. IYSWIM :hypno: He doesnt seem to understand that if i wasnt there then i dont automatically know what he is talking about. Is this part of his asd, just wondered really and i would be interested to know if anyone elses child is the same :D

Brooke

[/quotei

I do that . im not sure if im asd as my son seems ASD i thnk we can read to much in it all at times jen

Brooke since I read your post I've been thinking about this loads and listening to C.

He does exactly the same thing. The other morning we were chatting and he suddenly went off on a complete diffrent tangent - luckly I pick up what he was talking about - but it seems to happen often!!!