Karen A

Parents paying for private school places-SEN

I think its awful that it is now HARDER to get help for our children now than it was 10 years ago, when we were going through it. Yes we had to fight tooth & nail, but the school, LEA etc were all on our side which made things so much easier. Its so much harder to get a statement now than it was then.

We did enquire about private ed when there was a possiblility that high school wouldnt work out, but luckily it did.

I attribute the fact its harder to get state help to this:

The pace at which autism is becoming recognised, and the amount of diagnoses being made (although still quite low) is by far exceeding the pace at which the government is providing the support.

I went to a state secondary school and private sixth form. The former had an excellent special needs department but I had a horrid time with bullying. The latter didnt have a special needs department but I had the support and bullying almost halted.

I personally believe that without my time at the private sixth form I wouldnt have got into sheffield university. But I am a more balanced individual having gone to both state and private. I wouldnt have wanted an all private education.

Edited by CEJesson

According to my local MSP when I saw him he told me that there is the funds and resources available BUT schools are NOT accessing them!

Why? Because special needs children bring down the schools league tables!

It's all about figures now and not the child.

I'm wondering if there is any political bias when it comes to providing services for SEN. Are councils run by one political party generally better than councils run by another political party?

I'm wondering if there is any political bias when it comes to providing services for SEN. Are councils run by one political party generally better than councils run by another political party?

Quick request.In answering this question please refrain from posting in a way that might slander particular political parties or councils....tempting though it may be to do so.Thanks Karen.

Speaking to our SENCO today, she told me that if and when we get a statement and if its 10 hours or less they won't have any money to meet it and that it will be school action plus instead, which is what he already has and I hasten to add currently sign off sick from school as not coping and suffering anxiety and depression !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking to our SENCO today, she told me that if and when we get a statement and if its 10 hours or less they won't have any money to meet it and that it will be school action plus instead, which is what he already has and I hasten to add currently sign off sick from school as not coping and suffering anxiety and depression !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I am sure she did not tell you was that if provision is detailed clearly and quantified in a Statement you would have a legal right to challenge the LEA if it is not provided :wallbash::wallbash: Don't let the SENCO ruffle you. >:D<<'> Karen.

I'm in the process of looking for a 'new' special school for my daughter because her existing one has changed from a school for children with, moderate learning difficulties with classes for ASD pupils to, a school for behaviour and learning problems and autistic tendencies. My daughter is now socially isolated and witnessing fighting in the playground and hearing bad language! In my local area there is curently no Primary Provision for children like my daughter so as far as the LEA are concerned she either stays where she is or tries mainstream (the lattter is not an option because her language skills are so poor and mainstream isn't being properly resourced). I'm having to look at private options in the hopes that the LEA will pay but this is not going to be easy! This thread has therefore made for interesting reading.

I would think about writing to the governors they have a duty to ensure children with sen are treated faitly and not being di. Unless parents complain the schools wont tell them!

the school situation is a very very scary one, my son goes to a private school where there is only 15 in his class. It is not the norm to accept Special Needs Children but he is very intelligent ....so luckily pulls it off for now but I have heard horror stories about children being asked to leave so the school record isnt "hindered" as its quite renouned for getting scholarships for pupils to get to the next school.

Its so expensive though and im scared as to how to pay for it, the fees have gone up to 1500 per term , its getting to the point where ill have to get rid of the car soon but I know He would be eaten alive in a big class , he cant really cope with new teachers or new pupils and luckily has had the same class since he was 3.5 so he knows them and they know him.

I think special needs schooling in my area is seemed as somehow lower class problem and no one seems to want to access help or resources. Ive tried all year to find out how I can access special help for him but seem to come up against closed doors all the time.

I do think you are right the government and leas seem to see disability as purely an issue of social deprivation. Our kids just dont fit into their neet little box so they dont know how to handle their needs.