angel77

pancake day

We were talking about pancakes at work, because we had a load of those bottle mixes, and he was complaining that he had to shake it for more than a minute like the bottle said. I said he could have made his own quicker, but he was a bit scared of making them himself.

I eat them with lemon and sugar, only I've been eating so many that I've just gone off them a bit, which is not terribly good timing!

It's amazing the stuff you can buy frozen, but ready-chopped, frozen onion is the best one! Saves a lot of tears.

We were talking about pancakes at work, because we had a load of those bottle mixes, and he was complaining that he had to shake it for more than a minute like the bottle said. I said he could have made his own quicker, but he was a bit scared of making them himself.

I eat them with lemon and sugar, only I've been eating so many that I've just gone off them a bit, which is not terribly good timing!

It's amazing the stuff you can buy frozen, but ready-chopped, frozen onion is the best one! Saves a lot of tears.

For anyone who flicked over the page and got confused, the 'he' isn't me and i don't work with tally! My guess is 'Lee' or 'Simon' from another thread :):lol:

Resurrecting this thread rather than start a new one.

It is pancake day tomorrow, and I am looking for some suggestions for fillings. I fancy something different this year.

All ideas appreciated. :D

MCL

Anyone got a reciepe for them???

An easy receipe is one cup of plain flour one cup of milk and one or two eggs. It comes out perfect every time.

Just double or triple the receipe for a bigger family but keep to 2 eggs. If you make too much you can either cook them and put them in the fridge or just leave the mixture in the frige and use within 3 days.

Enjoy your pancakes

I used a bottle mix (just add milk and shake) and they were awful. The last ones had lots of lumps in them - yuck!

They also stuck like mad when I cooked them, but that may be due to having an electic hob now, not gas.

I have had the frozen ones, and they are very good - just like proper homemade ones.

Home made ones are hard to beat! For toppings my kids love strawberry or chocolate syrup... the stuff you normally put on ice cream... for me it has to be sugar and jam yum yum :D

100g flour, add an egg and whisk, then gradually add 300ml milk and whisk. The egg is not essential. It should have a consistency like single cream. Use less milk if you want a thicker American-style pancake. Fry in a HOT pan - you can always pour in a little bit of the mix to test whether it's hot enough yet - it should start to cook right away. Turn it once the top has cooked. I eat one standing at the cooker while I cook the next one. If I make them in a small pan, there is just enough time to eat one before the next one is ready :)

I am so lucky my husband is an ex chef....so he will be making pancakes, he has also been making them for the last few weeks......as they are great comfort food....he puts melted butter in his batter....yummy!!

I have a pile I start with lemon and sugar...then golden syrup..then a plain one then brown sugar and lemon etc......all in a pile then i roll it together and it's one huge swiss roll of a pancake...yummy!!!!

Any one is welcome...lol but I am not good at sharing :D

We do a GFCF version of Scotch Pancakes - smaller and thicker than std ones. Serve with warmed tinned or bottled pears (M&S do yummy pears in a glass jar) and chocolate sauce.

We do a GFCF version of Scotch Pancakes - smaller and thicker than std ones. Serve with warmed tinned or bottled pears (M&S do yummy pears in a glass jar) and chocolate sauce.

Oooh that sounds nice, I'm just back from there I wish I had seen this before I went. Will see if Tesco's have anything similar tomorrow.

Stand by everyone for BD to have his annual senior moment when someone mentions packet/bottle pancake mix!! :devil:

Boho ;)

I had it a few weeks ago (my rant about mixes :whistle: ) when i saw a 'freefrom' packet mix in one of the stores. 'Just add soya/rice milk' - yep, so that'll be gf flour and powdered egg in the packet then :rolleyes: (and about a squillion preservatives and probably some other nasties too)... Somewhere in 'diet and medication' section i think.

Anyhoo... i was watching 'the Sopranos' the other week and in a diner someone ordered pancakes wot were the house speciality - the speciality bit being that they make them with cornflour rather than wheatflour. Haven't tried it yet, but there was lots of appreciative noises made, so maybe next time i am pancaking I'll give that a go instead of the usual gf/df blend flour. Buckwheat's quite nice too, but a bit rubbery. Don't try gram flour - that's a chapatti! :lol:

happy tossing peeps :)

Edited by baddad

:blink: I nearly just spat orange juice all over my computer because I laughed so much! :ph34r: Edited by Tally

As I am still decorating the kitchen, the cooker is out of action...so I may have to buy FROZEN pancakes, if you can warm them in the mocrowave!! :devil:;)

Boho :dance:

Oi, Kathryn...go on, say something about using frozen mash! :devil:;)

Frozen mash is great. :dance::dance:

Not peeling and cooking the potatoes saves me so much time: time I can spend doing other useful things like...

MAKING MY OWN PUFF PASTRY. :D:P

Off to make the pancake batter now. Anyone want to borrow an egg? I accidentally bought 18 this morning when I only wanted 6. :unsure:

K x

Off to make the pancake batter now. Anyone want to borrow an egg? I accidentally bought 18 this morning when I only wanted 6. :unsure:

You know, seeing tipple triple is a sign of, well... :wine::drunk: (Apparently Pearl could advise you on such problems :o:whistle:)

Instead of giving the eggs away make some extra pancakes and send them my way please. With lemon and sugar if possible. :eat: Or maybe a little maple syrup. :eat1: Or chocolate. :rolleyes: They don't do pancakes for us here. :(

You know, seeing tipple triple is a sign of, well... :wine::drunk: (Apparently Pearl could advise you on such problems :o:whistle:)

A sign of something, definitely! I couldn't decide whether I needed half a dozen or a dozen eggs. In the process of dithering I evidently put both boxes into my basket, and at the checkout I was too embarrassed to admit it. :lol:

Aah well, omelettes tomorrow I guess.

I'd happily post you a pancake if I could, Mumble. Miserable lot in your halls - they ought to honour this great British tradition. :shame:

K x

woo for pancakes! made with our home grown eggs... lovingly prepared by chooks Ethel and Elsie just this morning! the batter will be day-glo yellow cos their yolks are soo bright. and since my mother has made beef stew for dinner :sick: , i'll be eating only pancakes

I'd happily post you a pancake if I could, Mumble. Miserable lot in your halls - they ought to honour this great British tradition. :shame:

Ah, well there-in lies the problem. Christian connotations. However, we do ensure there is always a Halal dish available and special meal times are put on at Ramadan.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against other religions and dietary differences at all but pushing something 'Christian' out to appear politically correct seems wrong. Hey, I have to eat Halal meals and I don't complain (or care); I don't think it would harm others to eat pancakes (and anyway, there's always a choice of two deserts or healthy fruit...) :eat:

Best bit of this Pancake Day?

M, who has severe multiple food allergies was OK eating a ready-made pancake, tolerating the wee bit of whey powder therein! :thumbs:

AND, she was also fine with some tomatoey-basily-olive-oily pasta salad! :clap:

It's so lovely when she finds something she can have/tolerates a wee bit of what was a former life-threatening food...she's a star, and never makes a fuss about food :wub:

Ah, well there-in lies the problem. Christian connotations. However, we do ensure there is always a Halal dish available and special meal times are put on at Ramadan.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against other religions and dietary differences at all but pushing something 'Christian' out to appear politically correct seems wrong. Hey, I have to eat Halal meals and I don't complain (or care); I don't think it would harm others to eat pancakes (and anyway, there's always a choice of two deserts or healthy fruit...) :eat:

Gosh that's the first I've heard of Shrove Tuesday being disregarded for religious reasons. It's not a Christian festival and I think it's long since broken loose from its origins. Ash Wednesday, which marks the start of Lent, is the more important day.

Great news about M, Bid. :thumbs: Does this suggest she'll eventually grow out of many of her allergies?

K x

Ah, well there-in lies the problem. Christian connotations.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh????

Surely it's only a 'Christian' thing if you are making them to use up stuff leading up to fasting for lent? Outside of that they're just 'pudding'.

So does that mean you can eat them for the other 364 days of the year, just not today?? :lol:

BTW - tried a 'Cornflour' pancake tonight and yum-bluddy-yum! Soprano's were right... the other thing good about them is they have the viscosity of cornflour (that whole/liquid solid thing), so if you swizzle 'em about the bottom you get full pancakes but if you don't you get 'drop' pancakes ala the scots variety

:D

Gosh that's the first I've heard of Shrove Tuesday being disregarded for religious reasons.

Of course it could be a rumour started by disgruntled students... Or by the kitchen staff who didn't want to flip 500 pancakes... :lol: :lol: :unsure:

Great news about M, Bid. :thumbs: Does this suggest she'll eventually grow out of many of her allergies?

There was a fascinating study reported in the news recently about peanut allergies and eradication through increased exposure. Allergies do seem to be changeable over time but it's something that is sooo individual.

I've just had a thought - I'm missing dinner on Saturday as I have a yucky conference to go to and will be back too late - I might go to the supermarket tomorrow and see if they have any pancake stuff left and attempt to set the fire alarms off cook myself pancakes. :eat::eat1:

EDIT: Erm, what's a pamcake? The spellchecker seems to think pamcake is an acceptable word... :unsure:

Edited by Mumble