hedders

we have a meeting in 2 weeks for dd with teacher

Spoke to teacher today meeting in 2 weeks and yet again senco has got involved.

the teacher said that the senco wants to be present as she feels she knows my dd really well, every chance i had to raise concerns the senco is there trying to blame us or try to talk us round that dd isnt servere and a slow learner and that she hasnt got any learning diffculties and gets the teacher to agree with her

In the letter someone on here composed im hoping that they will tell us her attainment levels and give copies of her IEPs.

How do i find out the critia for speech and language provision in schools?

Also senco wont give her an IEP as they only give these to children on the servere scale even though our dd recieves 1-1 support they always say lots of children have this too

Is there a difference between an amount of additional support a child with SEN recieves to an average child in class from teachers, senco and ta

I feel i really need to know my facts

Also is there any medical differences between a slow learner and to a child with SEN out dd has many areas of her development delayed with mild speech delay and moderate language delay for struture of sentences with inconsistnt past tenses, verbs etc..

Thanks

Edited by hedders

>>How do i find out the critia for speech and language provision in schools?>>

Have you got any friends who are teachers/TAs in other schools in your area? Or ask at the local support group.

>>Also senco wont give her an IEP as they only give these to children on the servere scale even though our dd recieves 1-1 support they always say lots of children have this too>>

Is your child on SA or SA+? Even if they don't do an IEP, they should have some way of recording what help she is given and monitoring progress made (eg: a provision map).

>>Is there a difference between an amount of additional support a child with SEN recieves to an average child in class from teachers, senco and ta>>

If you read the definitions of Early intervention, SA and SA+ in the Code of Practice it will tell you. Some things are available to all children (probably provided in large groups by TA), some are available to those who are just below average (eg: a short course or once a week for 15 minutes help with TA), some only to those children who are a lot further behind than the average child (eg: a long-term course done 2 or 3 times a week with a TA or SENCO).

Has your dd ever had an IQ or similar test? That would tell you her potential in various areas.

I would reiterate n writing that before the meeting you need the information you have previously requested so that you can have an informed discussion. DO NOT LET THEM CO YOU INTO DOING IT VERBALLY

an example could be....

Dear Mrs x

Re my letter dated x concerning dd dob .......

Further to our conversation of today I confrm I will be able to attend a meeting on x wih yourself , ,Mrs X Senco regarding the issues raised in my letter of x requesting further information regarding dd progress to date.

Please can you ensure that the documentation requested be forwarded to me as soon as possble before the meeting.

Thanking you in anticipation

Have you asked parent partnership if they can come with you? I think this or getting a friend to come would be a good idea

The meeting is tomorrow i sent in a letter on monday asking for her attainment levels and they have declined, the teacher seems very annoyed with me

My hubby is coming to the meeting dont know what to expect ??

asking for her attainment levels and they have declined, the teacher seems very annoyed with me

My hubby is coming to the meeting dont know what to expect ??

Have they put this in writing? Not much you can do now, but I would be asking why you cannot have your dd's attinament levels. I can't think of any good reason why you can't have them. Perhaps they have something to hide?

The teacher is probably annoyed with you because you are asking too many questions :D

I would expect them to waffle a bit and not be keen to give hard facts. Make sure you are clear what you want to find out in the meeting.

Have they put this in writing? Not much you can do now, but I would be asking why you cannot have your dd's attinament levels. I can't think of any good reason why you can't have them. Perhaps they have something to hide?

The teacher is probably annoyed with you because you are asking too many questions :D

I would expect them to waffle a bit and not be keen to give hard facts. Make sure you are clear what you want to find out in the meeting.

I would request you have a look throw your daughters school records, in there it will have her attainment scores,

The advice about wrtitng is absaloutly essentail and it is great for early evidence that can help you build up your case for the future when you go for an assessment of her SENs.

I have my own theory why they wont let you see her attainment levels, mmm..

I wish you luck with the meeting and again request the refusal of the attaintment records be given to you in writing with an explanation to why they have.

I bet you they will give you this information soon.

JsMum

Good luck with the meeting.

Either you or hubby need to take notes about what is said, as the school seems to be acting as if it has something to hide.

Just be firm and clear about what you want and dont back down fro wanting a copy of her attainemnt levels.

I think you need to request a copy of her school records hun, somethings going on? :wallbash:

Hi just got back it was diffcult to get a word in as the teacher and senco kept waffling on they mentioned alot about her speech and language which they feel is causing her academic diffculties but they feel is just immature development not a disorder so i did say her younger sister has delayed language but her slt team are investigating to a disorder then they changed the subject

They wouldnt talk about her attainment levels but said she wont reach the national standred of 2b because of her speech and languge diffcutlies so i asked for a copy of school records and they will ask the head teacher

Teacher said last yr she was on level w/1 she is currently on 1b and they assume she will reach 1a in july, so she would of achieved the 2 sub levels i did say i want to have a copy to look at

She recieves alot of support and speech therapy in school but they dont know what will happen or level of support she will get when to moves to the juniors in spetember, so we are planning to have a meeting now with the juniors to find out before she starts

We asked what outside additional support she can have and they replied going to the library on weekends for story telling!!!

Senco said she has made really good progress over 3 yrs and her handwriting is improving but her sentences are jumbled and she doesnt think about what she is writing

Then teacher said dd is tired in school and she thinks this is affecting her learning so we did say she goes to bed every night at 6.30pm for stories but dd has diffculty relaxing her brain so they couldnt advice us apart from story tapes which i did mention her ot said music which i found made her hyper

Hubby and myself dont feel we got any answers really he is going to write up a letter to the school about what was said this morning and our next step is to plan a meeting with junior school and see what provision they will do and maybe look for another school if unhappy

I'm sorry but I feel that you are being given the run around. You are entitled to see her file. Request a copy under the Data Protection Act. To be honest sometimes it is best to cut your losses. Perhaps the Juniior school will be better but if its the same head and senco...(which I'm not sure if you said it was or not) Personnally I would make your own Request for an Assessment. Will the treating doctor back you up? Ipsea are v helpful if you can get through. Good lucjk

Hi,

no the juniors is across the road so there is a different head and senco

with english maths and science attainmnet level does the teacher give a combined score or is it individual scores??

As all they said was 1b

Thanks im also going to get the teacher to write down all the additional support she recieves and then take to the junior school and see what they will do for her.

Is there any reason why the head said my dd doesnt need or recieve any additional support in school to her pead when she does get it

Also the teacher stopped herself 4 times when said dd has sen, as she said special ed then she stopped saying rest of sentence

Also senco said last yr dd doesnt need speech and language provision but then today said dd has just finished a 26 week speech therapy

So confused by them

Also i dont think its her school record that they are going to give us as the teacher said it will be a sheet showing all the children in her class which they will have to cross out and leave dds name with her attainment level on ?? any knowledge on what this is please??

Edited by hedders

They would have levels for Literacy, Numeracy and Science separately, and Literacy and Numeracy are also usually split into different ascpects (eg: writing, speaking and listening) and there would be levels for these.

I presume she is talking about the tracking sheet, where they enter the childs levels for L, N and S twice every school year. This highlights children who are not making adequate progress. It is silly to say that they will give you this sheet - they should not give you anything with other people's data on it. Surely they could just write the levels on a piece of paper?

I dont think they have any intentions of giving us her school report, dispite my concerns in reception yr the school labelled her just a slow learner and have refused any input from external professionals.

Today i have sent a copy of her annual report and a copy of the letter dated a month ago for her school records which we havent recieved to her pead saying how concerned we are and want a formal diagnoisis.

If she is struggling with her academic and the senco says its because of her speech and language diffculties and she also has great diffculties with problem solving why arent they getting the slt team back to investigate further or referr her to an educational psycolgist to find out why??

Her annual report also says she tries hard to get on with others - so is there problems here

The general comment on her annual report says

****** is a helpful and polite member of **** CLASS. She tries hard to get on with everyone and is beginning to see the value of taking small steps towards improving her learning. She enjoys working in a small group and likes the extra aldult support she recieves. We are encourging ***

to bring in work she has done at home to give her a postive message about becoming more actively involved in making progress

In the meeting her class teacher now says that that her general comment means :

she seems tired in class which she feels is affecting her learning and becuase she is tired she doesnt give good eye- contact

And that she cant spend all her time helping dd in class and lets her get on with it!!

CANT WAIT FOR OUR YOUNGER DD to start school as she also has speech and language diffculties have to go through it all again

Well i keep smiling anyway been a long 4yrs

IMO if she is struggling now in infants and as soon as there is no adult to support her she fails as this is what it says in her report then I know from Js experience she will struggle even more when she gets to juniors as the jump in work is exstrodanary and if she is struggling now with social skills then as the children develop more language skills and have more conversations and move away from physical games then her socail skills will also widen compaired to her peers, I think the school are implying that she doesnt go to bed early, the fact she doesnt settle could be a sign she isnt recieving adequate support in school during the day and the effects are she cant sleep.

Personally I would go over thier heads, and request an assessment of her SENs and have a educational pyshcologist assess her, or have it done private because it would be very interesting to know what her non verbal iq would be compaired to her performance iq, the reason the school have given that she is giving poor eye contact because she is tired is very suspicious.

I persoanlly think that from what you have said and the way they are keeping the evidence from you is clear that if you went for an assessment you would problably get it, that way too you get to see all her results as its all given to you in the appendis.

If the LEA turn you down, then prepare for a sendist and appeal.

The school are trying to give minimum support here but they are not thinking of the long term damage that this will have on your daughter, its disgusting and it makes me angry because the LEA probably wont do anything until its too late.

Go for assessment of SEN, I am talking from personal experience.

JsMum

Thankyou xx

I will contact ipsea for advice

In the letter to school i asked what input for speech and language she has recieved since starting school- senco now says she has completed a 26 week course (strange)

Also teacher said she has made slight progress in a yr but since recieving my letter they now say she is progressing well and has achieved the 2 sublevels

Yes im very suspicious

I dont understand why they are preventing professionals help is it because i had a letter dated a yr ago that nothing is wrong with her and the head got the pead to disharge her also the slt or just funding ?

Edited by hedders

Unfortunately this sounds so like what we went through withn our son. Lies and more lies. We also went over their heads and got an assessment- LEA refused as school said he was doing ok- but we appealed to sendist using the NHS evidence as they were the ones telling the truth- LEa backed down day before an assessed. They produced a statement we appealed, removed son from the school and Head gave evidence against us at the Sendist but we won. Head tried to suggest that we were just over protective parents with nothing better to do! Hedders if she has had SLT then there will be records- if you have a paed on side then you could ask her to write to slt for a full report or you can yourself ask the SLT for the records- you will need to pay and do it in writing. Dont delay as this all takes time. Good luck.

Sorry hedders I just had to laugh at the stupidity of this comment

she seems tired in class which she feels is affecting her learning and becuase she is tired she doesn't give good eye- contact

what a load of tosh!

As others have said don't sit back on this as the school will do as little as possible. They have multiples of help at their finger tips and should be getting in place if a child is struggling..the child doesn't need a 'condition' to receive this the fact the child is having problems is enough!

Hi everyone just had a long conversation with supportive parents who have advised me to contact the head of ed psy and tell them i have been refused her school reocords and they are not sharing information with her professionals and for him to get them and send someone in to asess her

Also go back to gp got a app now for 2 weeks time and inform him and get him to write to her slt saying dd needs further investigation

And they are going to send me a name and no for a external professional to assess my younger dd in nursery and get an iep in place for next term

Sounds so easy !!! bet it wont be

Just like to add in regards of younger dd have spoken to her slt who will see her next week and do some tests for language disorders in the clinic and will also contact the school senco and a plan of action for her

Edited by hedders