Sign in to follow this  
bid

Initial review...

Hi :)

On Wednesday I'm going down to Auriel's new school for his Initial Review as he has been there for 3 months.

What happens at an Initial Review?

And should I be wary of any LEA scullduggery?! :ph34r:

Bid :bat:

Thomas' initial Review was similar to other Reviews, but they had all the assessments (clinical psych, OT, SaLT) and basically said how he was getting on. No EP from our County came.

Karen

Help!

As my son has not had a Statement before, I don't even know what a normal review is like!

Could someone please describe what happens?

Will the LEA be trying to reduce his support??

Thanks,

Bid :wacko:

Sorry, more questions!

The provision in my son's Statement isn't quantified.

It probably isn't possible to quantify the majority of it, because it basically describes a 24 hour AS specific placement, and all that entails.

The only more specific provision is for Social Skills. This is not quantified, but from his timetable I know how many hours per week this happens in a 'formal' way, plus it is ongoing in the out of school activities.

Plus, he has OT once a week, which isn't even in his Statement.

So...should I ask again to have the Social Skills quantified, and should I ask for the OT to be added to his Statement?? Can I do this at the Review?

Phew! Thanks in advance!

Hi Bid,

Why don't you give them a call at the school. Don't be worried, they will be on your side. When I have spoken to them in the past regarding possible placement of my son, they sound like they are on the ball and not a pushover for the lea and the lady said that if we over got to the postion, she would help me present the case to our lea for residential.

Please don't worry.

By the way, I have a mentor now who is trying to give me some guidance on my "school". Trouble is, I have so up in a heap lately about my sons statement, I have not had time to devote to research.

Good luck for Wednesday.

HelenL

The school should send you paperwork prior to the Review (a draft copy). T is in a similar school, and they start with the last set of needs and provision, and examine if they have been met, then review them and write in new ones if necessary. There is a space that says something about what other help will be offered and it says there SaLT, psych, OT as necessary.

You could certainly mention the SaLT and OT, but as it is 24 hour AS specific, social skills are done 24 hours a day anyway.

Karen

Well, finally home from Auriel's Review! :wacko:

I'm sooo proud :wub::tearful:

He has done so well, and the school are sooo pleased with him :) The Deputy Principal said he will be an excellent role model for the younger pupils when he is a Senior next year!! :dance:

They said he is a pleasure to have in the school!! :tearful:

And, after all my panics the only people to turn up were me and Auriel's father! :lol: No one from the LEA or SS came!

Thanks for all your support anyway :)

Fantastic! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::thumbs::thumbs:

:groupwave::groupwave::groupwave:

You can breathe again now.

Pour yourself a large something - you deserve it. >:D<<'>

Bid

I am so happy for you and Auriel.

My sons final statement came through today and they have said "mainstream" maintained. He is nine. Bid, I hope that one day my son can go to where Auriel is as I know it has made such a huge difference in a relatively short space of time

Best Wishes

HelenL