bjkmummy

any advice on how to keep track of a child who likes to make a run for it?????????

well we went on holiday last week - went fairly well but on the last day joe made a run for it and we lost him! it was the scariest half an hour of my life!

joe is a runner and im ashamed that i managed to lose him - he was in sight all the time but then just made a run for it and we lost sight of him. the camp we were staying at had to do a full scale search for him. thankfully we found him but to lose him at a holiday camp on a beach cliff is not good!!!

i want to get some kind of device to stop this happening again like a gadget i can attach to him and if he goes too far it will sound an alarm or just something to try and protect him if he makes a run for it again - just wondered if anyone else had used something similar

As a physical attachment, what about one of those things that goes round the child's wrist and the adult's wrist and has a sort of telephone wire twirly type cord?

Or, the NAS have an agreement with some company to supply tracking devices at a reduced price - if you call their helpline, I'm sure they could advise.

Just wanted to synpathise, my Nick was a runner, we were always chasing after him so l know how you feel, we too lost him on holiday by cliffs!! not a good feeling. He still runs when he is anxious and he is 14!!. I did see something on tele about a mother of an autistic child who wanted a tracking device and she found someone to make one, no doubt someone else will have seen this on tele and will have more info : :unsure::unsure:

My son is a wanderer. I have bought him a wrist restraint, with his permission, as he will hold my hand but my arm was beginning to arch with trying to hold him back all the time.

there is plenty available in the "spy" corporate espionage type markets but they are not cheap. even a few hundred pounds would get you a piece of junk that although working is hard to use in the way you want with your child.

There are some mobile phone based gps units that will send a text of gps position but you need the skill tointerpret it and tomake it dynamic to use you really need mapping software on a modern phone/hand held computer.

Im not sure if you can buy a complete package at reasonable price. Maybe as said above something purpose built based on car tracking devices.

It's a good idea to keep an up-to-date photo of your child on you at all times when out - just in case.

Also, always agree a place where you will meet up should he get "lost".

HI, poor you, bet you went through hell that half hour. I have seen devices advertised on GMTV that sound an alarm if your child moves out of a certain pre set range, also have seen them in catalogues such as mon bebe and trididas etc, hope this helps. Enid

Hiya....

There's The Buddi - a GPS tracking device. Will locate to within a few metres. (very expensive though!)

Or Giggle-Bug, attach ickle 'bug' to child and parent has a small fob. Press the parent fob and a the bug makes a noise - great for hiders!

Must be loads of others if you google it. :)

My son can't remember to find a certain place & has no stranger awareness - it's taken yonks, but he now will hand over an NAS card with my mobile number on it, to someone (anyone - eeeck!) if he can't find me. Then he plonkes himself down on the floor and waits! Thankfully, i've only lost him once!!!

lol the tazer or stun gun :whistle:

Cmuir told me about a thing that was ina certain chemists lately. its like a little teddy thing i think goes on the child- like in their bag and will sound if the child goes away from you- i'm sure she will describe it ina better way than me but it sounded great to me!

thanks for your replies - managed to track down the teddy device on ebay but i do like the look of the bug one too so if teddy doesnt work then i may get the bug as well!