Sign in to follow this  
ogsplosh

Half terms

Structure!!!!

Visual timetables, trips out, arrange play dates, persusuade DH to take some time off work ;), praying for good weather :pray: which sadly looks to not have been answered :huh: !!

Having structure and predictability for my son really is the key.

Half terms can be hard as DS has settled in to school then this week off just messes it all up. Takes him several days to get used to the change then just as he's settling it's back to school again. Half terms are not a good invention!

Lx

Same as liz, structure, oh and respite. Normally we help out at a holiday club for children with developmental disorders, which really helps with the structure, but sadly the club is not running this half term so it will be more difficult! To be honest I prefer the holidays as the children are all so much more relaxed!

I LOVE Half Terms, we do keep to some structures but we dont have the fights trying to get him places like I do with school, school is good its J just doesnt like it, he is much more co operative at half terms, though exhausting with the activities, were going to chester zoo and the countryside for walks, now J has a broken arm it limits the cycling, swimming, climbing, so its tranquil walks along the beach, we really just do hope for some glorious sunshine, not many parents welcome in the holidays but we love them.

We use visual cards, lots of awareness, warnings, pre and post support, structure but with an eliment of flexability and flow.

JsMum

I was always one of those parents who loved the holidays, untill ds started to have these meltdowns in December last year, prior to that it was just school that was a problem, we are more or less back on an even keel now and he even got a certificate today for 100% attendance at school :thumbs: but I stil walk on eggshells, one of the problems has been that while ds was so out of control for about 4 months, the 9 and 6 yr old have become really close, they even play together at lunch times at school, and ds is feeling very left out, and then tries to get in on game and they wont let him and I am thinking oh god he`s going to go off on one! I`m sure you know the senario :rolleyes: so we are all learning to reajust yet again and hoping that we can get back to normal, well normal for us that is. Enid

we love the holidays no school means happier children, less stress, less tantrums, ect. my chidren hate school all the noise and not really understanding what is going on. Thats not to say they are as good as gold in holiday time but at least i can see when things are going wrong and get in quick to try and calm thing down. I hope everyone has a good half term. Im sure we will

We love the holidays too, for the same reasons. Happier less stressed kid with any problems being dealt with at the time instead of several hours later when she gets home from school. The first couple of days are usually stressful as the routine hes changed, but after that its like having a different kid at home. Bliss! Love the 6 weeks summer hols best as she is so chilled out!

I used to really look forward to the hols as well when Jay was younger. Now he is 14 and he has no friends and nowhere to go and he's not interested in playing with his toys anymore but can't think what else to do with himself, it's really hard to not get bored and grumpy and fed up with each other. Now and I dread the hols and they seem very, very long as it's so hard to know what to do with him. :tearful:

~ Mel ~