soraya

Hair cuts

Nick is 14 and will not get his hair cut, he looks dreadfull it is getting so long now, he does wash it but wont get it cut. He says " people have to accept me for who l am not what l look like" . Does anyone else have this problem as he looks like the wild man of borneo :):)

When Auriel was that age he had long hair, although he would get it trimmed sometimes.

Then more recently he had a mohawk in black and then aubergine! He had more styling products than the three girlies of the household put together!

Then he shaved it all off and is growing it again...

I've always just left him to it, as I rather like the boho look ;)

It does wind DH up though :lol:

Bid :)

" people have to accept me for who l am not what l look like"

He has a valid point, what a brilliant answer to give at 14yrs old, wished I had the confidence to say that.

:notworthy:

What about a mobile hairdresser that he can build up a rapour with and have small sessions, introducing him to the tools, and go from there.

Does he have issues with the hair salon or is it when people touch his hair/head.

J doesnt like the smells in hairdressors, and if there busy he wont even enter.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

My lad used to literally scream the barbers down sweat pouring off him n the poor stylist think help-he still hates having his hair done n the only person he will let do it is my partner n it is a quick whizz all over n immediately to the bath cos he goes mental with any hairs on him.

Nick used to have his hair cut ok, he has a very good rappour with the barbars, he has to have the same stylist all the time though, this is just about him not wanting his hair cut!!Maybe it is a teenage thing, and nothing to do with his aspergers

My son is growing his hair into an Emo style (long fringe) so he can shake it about when he listens to his rock music.

He has thick ginger hair and the longer it becomes the more vivid it is. It is the most unruly hair you've ever seen it grows into a point at the back, so it looks like a ponytail and he wakes up every day with a horn shape on one side of his head. (I kid you not) If its a teenager thing, I need help, he's just turned 12! :rolleyes:

gothschild x

bikemad we still av this problem wiv the little one,,hairwashing as well is so hard,,o/t told us to try letting him go on pc and using small earphones with his fave music on ,,this has worked but when the hair falls on his skin he goes ballistic so bath is always run ready for him,,they said its the noise and the vibration of the clippers,,we have been using a vibrating massager shaped as a dog to desensitise his head,,is workin slowly,,only once he went to the barbers and only dun one stripe,,cos he screamed the place down,,,never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bikemad we still av this problem wiv the little one,,hairwashing as well is so hard,,o/t told us to try letting him go on pc and using small earphones with his fave music on ,,this has worked but when the hair falls on his skin he goes ballistic so bath is always run ready for him,,they said its the noise and the vibration of the clippers,,we have been using a vibrating massager shaped as a dog to desensitise his head,,is workin slowly,,only once he went to the barbers and only dun one stripe,,cos he screamed the place down,,,never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds like my lad to a t!!!!! I mite try that idea he has a mp3 player so might try him haveing that one when he has his hair cut next. He detests the hair falling on him-my other half got hold of a gown thingy they use is the salons n cos my lad is so small it covers him head to toe almost lol. O god hairwashing tell me about it-nightmare!!!!!!!!

I love the fact that my Cal is growing his hair, as it means trips to hairdresser are not an issue any more. Not so much that he screama, but when hair starts falling, he starts shaking, frantically claws at his face and then makes a snort noise exactly like the dogs! Downside is, he now seems to think that half of bottle of shampoo is only just adequate to wash his locks with!!! Costing me a fortune- I bought a pink form of a well known baby shampoo cuz it smelled fab, like tubbycustard, and he was first in there. After his shower, I discovered a pool of pinkness at bottomof the tub, having cascaded freely from edge of bath, down the sides.....it was up the tiles, on the floor.....mind you, I didnt realise how flimmin watery it was!! When I gave Lijey his bath later, i very nearly gave him a good drink of the stuff.... Heh, clean inside AND out!

Esther x

bikemad it has worked for us i used the speakers from my mp3 and told him they were his special ones,,,we have to wrap 2 bath sheets round him cos he wriggles like a worm and when it goes on his face he goes nuts!!!! we have finally got him to lay down now in the bath cos when the water goes on his face he will try to get out of the bath omg he is slippin everwhere cos he panicks!!!!! he cant be in the bath on his own someone always has to watch him,,,he wil also turn the taps on,,cos he dont see the danger ,,,,,,i used to live just over the bwlch mountain,,not far from the rhondda,,, i been livin in bridgend for 7 years though,,,, my family still in the valley,,,,,

Think its prob just a teenage thing! worse when its the other way, my 19yr old shaved all his off at a party last year, god he looked awful, like a thug, I was soo embarassed, he was too, it grew back quite quickly tho :thumbs: was thinking of you tonight as I was driving round trying to track my lad down! be glad when this phase is over :tearful: Enid

We are having this conversation this very moment, we have a school to visit tomorrow and I have been trying all day and probably the past months to convince Connor to have a trim. He too has grown his hair long and its spiral curls, he looks like a shaggy dog, even more so that its grown past his eyes. Like Nick, he says people have to take him as he is !!!

Clare x x x

clare my eldest son went for the long look all shaggy and looked gorgeous,,he had always had it shaved before and then came the colours ,,,lush,,he said the surfer look was nice,, now he has gone for all emo styles and uses straighteners all time ,,never short of trying different things and says the same,,tuff if people dont like it,,this is me take me as i am,,,,and we are so proud of his individuality,,which makes us who we are so good on him innit,,hope it goes well tomorrow xx

reece is the same and his dosnt grow in length and he has a double crown so his is sticking up every where at the mo

he hates anyone touching his hair

donnaxxxx

Hi

I had big problems when my son was younger when it came to hair cuts. I ended up having to cut his hair myself when he was sleeping. Of course, you can't do that with a 14 year old - your son can within reason make decisions for himself about appearance, etc.

Someone else suggested a mobile hairdressser. I'll second that. My sister is a hairdresser and we discovered that R appeared to dislike having to sit on a chair. My sister ended up cutting R's hair whilst sitting on the rug, whilst he was watching Bob the Builder or something like that.

Have to admit to trying reverse psychology tactics like letting his hair grow so long that it got into his eyes and he found that incredibly irritating - proved a point and one which he had to experience for himself I guess before he relented.

Caroline.

bikemad it has worked for us i used the speakers from my mp3 and told him they were his special ones,,,we have to wrap 2 bath sheets round him cos he wriggles like a worm and when it goes on his face he goes nuts!!!! we have finally got him to lay down now in the bath cos when the water goes on his face he will try to get out of the bath omg he is slippin everwhere cos he panicks!!!!! he cant be in the bath on his own someone always has to watch him,,,he wil also turn the taps on,,cos he dont see the danger ,,,,,,i used to live just over the bwlch mountain,,not far from the rhondda,,, i been livin in bridgend for 7 years though,,,, my family still in the valley,,,,,

Same here I cant leave him on his own in the bath at all n washing his hair omg tried everything-this l sound awful but I dread bath time it is really hard work!!!! My lad is like that for taps but the cold one-he would gladly have a freezing cold bath he hates the bath even warm!!!! I take my lad up the Bwlch sometimes for a icecream or hotdog lol. I used to live in Bridgend and my family still do lol.

I always cut Kierans hair myself with one of them hair cutting things theres no way he would go to either the barbers or hairdressers and i always leave it to him to tell me when he wants it cutting he doesnt like it gettting to long