Flora

Beauty disasters

I thought this was a good idea for a thread after a few things said in other threads!

Well I'll start. Out of the many disasters I've had:

Recently, tried to dye my highlighted hair back to dark brown and it turned green. Thought I was saving money by doing it myself but ended up having to pay a stupid sum to a colour stylist to put it right.

Years ago (when I was still young enough to wear a mini skirt) I was going out with some friends and wearing a mini. I used some of that hair removing cream on my legs, got ready then went out. When I was on the bus I noticed my legs were a bit itchy. By the time I met up with my friends they were stinging like mad and I was covered in bright red spots that became pustulent!!! I'd had an allergic reaction to the hair removing cream and ended up with a hideous and painful pustulent rash and I was out in the middle of Newcastle set for a night on the town and had to go home :( with loads of groups of men shouting unrepeatable things at me as I waited for a taxi (I couldn't endure a bus ride home). It was horrible and humiliating and whenever I see adverts for hair removing cream it makes me break out in a cold sweat!

Once accidently shaved my eye brows off because I thought it would be quicker than plucking them :rolleyes:

That's three of mine. Anyone else ? :lol:

Flo' :D

As a young teen I was self conscious of the few spots I had. I had some white cream that helped heal them and some medicated cover up cream. However I have very fair skin and the cover-up was too dark....in my youthful ignorance I decided to mix it with the white cream!....well, let's just say chemical burns aren't pretty! :fight: (never did well in chemistry, don't know why :whistle: )

A x

I had long hair and decided to cut it - just a bit off the ends. Pleased with the result, and with my newly discovered talent, I decided to go for a more ambitious style - short and layered. That was a disaster. And I had to live with it for months before I overcame my embarrassment enough to go to the hairdresser. :oops:

K x

I cant think of any beauty disasters but I have had a couple of fashion disasters.

I was about 15 or 16 at the beach with a group of my friends we usually sat up on the boardwalk on the grass as we didnt like the sand getting all over us. I was really happy with my new white bikini and had many admirers saying how nice it was, anyway I went swimming and it became completely transparent. :o:o:o the beach was packed, and I remember staying in the water for ages thinking how was I going to make my trek back up the beach as there was only one other girl with me at the time. Oh it was so embarrassing, I had to walk up the beach with a hand over my pants at the front my arm across my breasts and full well knowing my rear was fully exposed. It felt like the walk of death. I never looked back, but I had to walk instead of run to keep my hands stategically in place. Never wore my white bikini again. :whistle:

Another time I was modelling, there was about 6 females and 4 guys modelling at a launch of a labels designs to a crowd of at least 1,000 at the Hilton Hotel they were having dinner dance etc. At the last minute they showed us the swimwear we were going to wear and they quickly grabbed what they were going to wear, there was a black little number they wanted one of us to wear and everyone looked at me as I was the skinniest and most suited to this particular swimsuit, but it was sooooo skimpy, I said no, and everyone else said no, and I basically had no choice but to wear it, like I got the short straw, oh I was really mad. They said we have beach towels to wear over your shoulders so you can cover up. I put it on the v went down to my belly button, the back went down to my bum crack, and the thighs went above my hips, they are all say oh it looks great but I could see they were relieved they didnt have to wear it. I was a the t intersection across the front of the catwalk, trying very carefully not to turn too fast so the towel would cover me but on my last turn to head back to the last 10 metres along the catwalk it slipped off my shoulders completely onto the bend in my arm elbow, oh I was devastated I tried to walk with a smile but I felt like screaming as I was up very high and all I could think was these weirdos looking at my butt which was only a 1/4 covered. The worst part that was only half way through the event and I had to do the finally in a 5,000 dollar dress with a parasole by myself and all I could think of was the embarrassment of the swimsuit and eeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr stuck on the catwalk by myself trying not to make eye contact with anyone. What a red faced moment.

:ph34r:

Recently, tried to dye my highlighted hair back to dark brown and it turned green.

Oooh, Wyrd Sister...I did the same thing about three weeks ago!! :o:lol:

My hair didn't go green, but where I put the medium ash brown on, the highlights went almost black, so I ended up looking like Morticia Addams! :o:ph34r:

Luckily it was a semi-permanent colour, so I kept washing my hair desperately to tone things down a bit, but it's still a bit mmm.

AND I had to go into work straight after I'd done it...everyone kept saying 'Oooh, you've gone really dark!'

A little bit of me wishes I was like those really sophisticated women who let their hair go grey and still manage to look amazing. I fear I would just look like an old bag lady :lol:

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

Me and my friends have had loads of hair disasters!!! I once decided to dye my hair back to blonde and it went YELLOW it was alful it took 4hrs at the hairdresser's to get put right!! My friend's hair once turned white :lol: and my other friend wanted her hair a nice brown but it went black and was perminate :lol:

I dunno where to begin........................ :lol::lol:

Right, my first ever visit to beauty salon for a spray tan, came out looking like Bubbles Devere from Little Britain, and had to worm my way out of being a model for a hollywood wax (long thread about it lurking somewhere) :oops:

Have tried virtually all the brands available for DIY tanning at home, I have gelled, moussed and sprayed myself to within an inch of my life, and all I ever end up looking like is patchy and orange with filthy sheets and very brown feet. :rolleyes:

I recently dyed my hair darker, after being blonde, it went purple, hideous, looked like the living dead. :whistle:

Don't even get me started on facial hair disasters and waxing (another long thread about it somewhere)....getting wax strips stuck up your nostrils should be avoided at all costs :ph34r:

When I was a teenager I had the most horrendous acne, and found, quite by chance a facial sun lamp in my parents room.........thinking it would help I sat in front of it......but because I didn't "look" tanned, I carried on just sitting there. I ended up needed emergency medical treatment for second degree burns on my face. The doctor said if I hadn't worn goggles my eyesight would of been permanantly damaged. I had to drink through a straw and eat liquidized food. I was 14, overweight, lacking in confidence, and had to go to school with huge blisters all over my face. When they burst, my face became a one huge scab. It became popular at school to try and make me laugh just to watch my face crack. Two weeks previous to this my friend had attempted to cut my hair because my mum had said I didn't need it cutting at the time. It was shoulder length, all one length, in a kinda bob shape, and she took the middle part, and lobbed it off at my scalp. I looked like a very burnt monk for many, many weeks.

Bagpuss that sounds horribly traumatic :o:(>:D<<'> Kids can be really horrid, and there's nothing that can beat teenage girls for bitchiness. Your waxing story has also brought some scary memories screaming back to me!!!! OUCH!!!

Can I ask, and excuse my ignorance, what's a Hollywood wax????? :D Is it like a Brazillian??? :hypno: I had a Brazillian once before I went on holidays. They use a paper thong thing so you don't have to expose yourself :ph34r: It was extremely painful and very traumatic. I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to have it done!!!! :lol:

Flora XX

Can I ask, and excuse my ignorance, what's a Hollywood wax????? Is it like a Brazillian???

Well if you watched Gok Wan a couple of weeks back they showed pictures :o They gave an advance warning so you could go make a cup of tea & preserve your innocence if you wanted :lol:

Fashion disasters - hotpants in the 70s. Nuff said :ph34r:

Then I became a hippy & walked around Bradford barefoot, sounds v airy fairy till you think of whats on pavements :ph34r:

Flora, a hollywood is the lot off :sick:

The beauty therapist was training someone, and she had to sit an exam the following day and the victim model had dropped out, so she tried her best to persuade me to do it :blink: I've heard they do it while you are on all fours so they can reach everywhere :o Imagine the poor souls with piles, they could rip off more than you'd bargained for :oops:

It was the first time I'd visited a beauty salon........and the last :lol:

Edited by Bagpuss

woke up the next morning, looked around and - Disaster!

Just cover your mirror next time.

K x :P

My beauty disaster...

I met a real Beauty at 2.00am on Saturday...

woke up the next morning, looked around and - Disaster!

one of my beauty disasters was when my hair was ruined :oops::o

because i did not rinse it out properly

baddad thought i had a skin disease :sick::lol:

love 100%hairben! :lol::P

My Worst beauty disaster!!!!

Havn't been around for a few weeks have had shingles...hideous.... rash all down my spine, on shoulder, neck and right side of face. Sooo attractive. now back on my feet have beautiful red scars and flakey skin, look like a monster. Yuck. I will cut out a couple of holes in a paper bag then I won't scare the neighbours!

Harmony X :sick:

Oooooh, sore subject for me right now!

Just getting over the trauma of a hairdresser making me resemble Worzel Gummidge with brassy blonde and orange streaks instead of Trinny Woodall! Obviously it was too tall an order.

I slept on it until the next morning (yes, the same morning as my son's school review meeting) and camped on the doorstep of the chemist until opening time. Within only one hour until the review meeting and 2.5 hours before I was due to start work, I did a DIY job. I've ended up with grotty looking dyed nails and dark, flat looking hair. Just as well black nail varnish is in!!!

Strangely enough, had a couple of compliments from blokes I work with - there's was me thinking men are only capable of saying 'it's alright' - which tells you nothing. Also, a sales rep popped in to see me at work and kept looking at me in a strange way. Couldn't resist by telling him not to mind about my hairdo, but to concern himself with his horrendous taste in stripey pink and purple shirts, purple diamond tie and pinstripe suit! Guess, it's not so disasterous after all.

Caroline.

It's a joke :)

I never go home that early on a saturday night! :lol:

(that was another joke) :)

:oops: pleased to hear its a joke :wacko: as I may have mentioned its was 1.30am after 4 hours sleep that I read this, so didnt quite get the pun.... :whistle:

Yes you should definitely cover the mirror as Kathryn suggests, you could give yourself heart failure if looking at yourself in the mirror freaks you out like that :o:o:lol: or wear sunnies B)

:P

Sorry Baddad >:D<<'> :unsure:

Fran x

Edited by Frangipani

My Worst beauty disaster!!!!

Havn't been around for a few weeks have had shingles...hideous.... rash all down my spine, on shoulder, neck and right side of face. Sooo attractive. now back on my feet have beautiful red scars and flakey skin, look like a monster. Yuck. I will cut out a couple of holes in a paper bag then I won't scare the neighbours!

Harmony X :sick:

Ouch that sounds so painful, poor you :(>:D<<'> >:D<<'> I guess you would use similar products to chicken pox to get some relief. Hope it clears up soon.

Fran x

I recall giving a bottle of Clarins fake tan a try. I slapped it on and waited and waited. About an hour later I looked in the mirror. Shock! Horror! I looked like I'd been tango'd!!! Had to use a nailbrush and soap to get it off. Never again.

I also remember shaving my legs just before I went on holiday. Hadn't been paying attention and ended up with a massive cut down my leg.

The things we women do in the name of beauty.

Caroline.

Had to be the first time I shaved me legs! Wrote about it in another post, suffice to say I shaved me leg like a bit of parma ham!! Owch doesnt cover it!

My friend topped that though. She sunbathed topless in Gran Canaria, fell asleep and woke up with horrendous sunburn all over her ladybumps!!! And I mean ALL over!! :lol: Her description of being hauled to the hotel doctor (young and terribly handsome, apparently, to add to the mortification!!) who had to apply a special cream to them was rib-achingly hilarious!

And lets just say that the peeling stage was NOT pretty!!! Heeheehee! I always knew it was better to be pale!!

Esther x