Sign in to follow this  
sandyn

Dreading this weekend....

Oooooooh I am so worried about this one. Friday night, Sat night and finish 5pm Sunday....

DH is a cub leader so he will be there, but its the night time thats making me feel a bit anxious. 5 boys in a tent - no adults obviously - I have really tried for the last few weeks to make R sleep in his own bed (he normally sleeps in ours) but he still wakes up at 4am. The other boys are going to kill him!!!! He's got the new horrid henry book and he's reading the alex rider books - so fingers crossed it will be okay.

I have got a timetable of the events for the weekend which are brilliant, and r seems ok with that at the moment. There was canoeing but 2 resident swans have had signets (1 week old) so that has poo pooed that!!!!

Any experiences and advice would be appreciated.xxx

Dont know how your group runs but with ours if there is a prob like you might face with tenting and wake up time, can you son go with your other half in his tent?

Also, if the group I am with is anything to go by they all tend to be awake bright and early but never seem to get tired!!

We are camping this weekend with Explorers hope the weathers ok!! :hypno: Please Please Please

Edited by mumble_rocks

I'm in a similar panic as DD (12 AS/ADHD) has decided that she wants to go to ice skating camp which lasts a week and will be 2� hours away

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

My son is just 9 and this year he has been on a night walk through the cornish countryside for 5miles starting at 8pm and arriving at camp at 1am! He was really unsure about it so my 16 year old walked with the cubs as well and he had a great time.

Then he did an area camp with lots of scout troops going and he was in a panic but we pointed out how much he'd enjoyed the walk and he'd probably regret it if he didn't go. He had a whale of a time and got an award for cub who had got the most out of the experience!

He's got another camp next weekend and again hes all jittery about it but he still wants to go.

I bet your son will be fine and having his Dad their will probably reassure him like it did for my son having his big bro with him.

Hello,

I know how you feel. H has just left for a weekend residential trip to Malham. He has seen lots of pictures of the area; he has helped to pack all his thiings and ticked them off the list; we have been through the itinerary together and he has decided that he will try to do the seven mile walk. However, this is his first time away from home and there are a lot of changes in routine, so I am a little anxious. Yet, hopefully, it will prove to him that he can sleep on his own.

Well, just had a call from DH (10.30pm), kids are all running around like crazy!! R has mananged to break his torch - he has only been there 4 hours!! - hope he doesn't have to spend a penny in the night - lord knows what he will wee on!!!

Im not sure I am going to sleep very well tonight!!

Make the most of a free night!!!! Hubby is there, so feet up, pour out large drink, and look forward to a stress free day tomorrow, just thank god they didnt ask you to help :lol: Enid

Try and get an early night and make the most of having the bed to yourself. You can even have a lie in! :thumbs:

If DH phones again pretend youre in bed so you don't have to think about it :D

Im sooooooooooooooooo dreading this-ds has his 1st camp in July only one night but il be so on edge till it is done n he is home tbh.

How did did you get them to join in the first place, mine went twice and there was no way he was going back - ever !

B has been to cub/scout camp 5 times, twice it was with other troops that made a much bigger group.

I had to get him once because of an accident, and once he fell out with another scoutmaster who happened to be the man in charge. So despite his leader being OK about him staying, he got sent home.

He loves camping, he's done several survival nights with a sleeping bag but no tent, and he particularly likes all the feral activities, firelighting, cooking with food on a sharp stick.

It is scary every time he goes on something like this, but each time it's easier and he has such a wonderful time.

Well done us all, parents and children, for taking a risk!

How did did you get them to join in the first place, mine went twice and there was no way he was going back - ever !

My lad joined with another pal from school so he had a buddy who understood him if that makes sense n he joined beavers-ive never pushed him tho if he decided one evening he dont wanna go then whether the leader likes it or not he dont go. He seems to like all the aiming for badges.

Ah bless .. its really nice to know you are thinking of us!!!

Well they came back at 5.30pm - dirty and completely knackered!! LOL

R managed to do the air rifling and canoeing. He loved the pond dipping and orienteering . Abseiling - well - he climbed up the wall, looked over and said "I want to get down now!!" - 40 ft high I think I would as well!!!

Socially he did find it hard, but DH said that the other boys in his cub pack seem to realise that he has probs and look after him a bit, which is quite nice.

I'm so proud of my lad. You all know that the change of routine can be so difficult for our kids. What I found was interesting was that R made sure he kept a "routine" - he read his book before he went to bed - okay I found out he was eating sweets at the same time but there you go!!!!

I was pleased that he washed himself , brushed his own teeth and got dressed himself - which he never does at home.

He said he cant wait to go next year!!!

So a sucess story. What a nice change!!!