bid

Time Limit for Editing Posts

Hi guys,

On another forum I use there is a much shorter time limit for editing posts.

Whilst I use the edit function a lot myself, it's usually to correct typos and so on, or to rephrase something I feel I have expressed in a clumsy way.

IMO though, it's very frustrating when the edit function is used to delete a whole post, because it then makes a thread senseless.

Just wondering what anyone else thinks of a shorter edit time scale...course now I'm trying to remember the time scale on the other forum (I think it's in tens of minutes rather than hours)...somewhere between the two maybe??

Any thoughts?

Boho :)

I know this should be in Techie Corner or some such, but it scares me in there! :lol:;)

Yes :D

Some time to correct and spot typos is good (although actually this can be done in the 'preview post'). It is useful to be able to add/change, but when this is abused (yes, sorry, I feel that strongly) so whole posts are removed, there's an issue.

I've sometimes found it useful to add information (so for example in the Greenwich tread where I've had second thoughts about the travel advice I've given) but actually I'm guessing if it's important enough to be typed it can go in another post and people are more likely to see it.

So long as if it is reduced, we have the option, to be used sparingly, through the mods to have something removed if offence (unintended) is made - for instance I made a post recently where I talked about another member and was a bit worried about that so liked the option of knowing I could remove it if necessary.

I agree too.

I remember when I was reading through old posts from people who had gone through tribunal etc.... at some point there was one which I was following and great big chunks of posts had been deleted by the author, and judging by the dates on some of the responding posts.... LONG after the event... so frustrating because it's so helpful to read about other people's experience of these things and a shame when you can't get the whole story.

If someone has had huge second thoughts and their post could be potentially harmful, they can always ask the mod team to help edit it afterwards. And like mumble said, if it's just to add extra information, then adding another post would suffice.

Flozza :D

I do remember that originally there wasn't any timescale on the edit facility, which probably explains your experience Floz.

Then I think it was changed to something like 12 or 24 hours??

Just wondering if it might be good to reduce it again.

Boho :dance:

I'd like to be able to edit posts forever :lol:

I'd love to go back and have a little fiddle with all of mine, and take out all the personal stuff, but then I suppose I'd only be left with about 10% of the original content :ph34r:

I only edit for spelling mistakes or missing words (happens alot :whistle: ), but can appreciate why huge chunks of a missing thread can be difficult.

Drives me nuts when the beginning of a thread has been completely removed.

Ten minutes or so, to spell check (lord knows i need it!!) seems ok - if anything else needs to be changed, we can ask the mods.

:D

Hi.I have one comment to make in my capacity as an ex-mod.....so experience of both points of view. :whistle::whistle::)

Please do bear in mind that the mods are also busy people who aim to have a life. :)

So an increase in the number of requests to Mod Edit posts because individuals regret what was posted and the time delay for individual Editing is minimal may not be welcomed with open arms. :) Karen.

Mmmm, take your point, Karen.

What do other people think about a time limit of say 30 mins?

Please do bear in mind that the mods are also busy people who aim to have a life. :)

No you're wrong, Karen.

Staying on here 24/7, editing posts and moving threads around is what I live for. I only wish there was more of it to do. ;):P

K x

Id say it was far too short - by about 23hrs and 30 minutes!

How many times have you said something one day and wished you hadn't the next? Personally, it's almost every time I open my gob!

I don't necessarily do it, and certainly it should never be a 'cop out' (i.e. someone going back and heavily editing what they have said and then trying to pass it off as something else) and always a last resort... but we're not politicians here and we do have mood swings (well, not me, obviously, I'm always a cantankerous old bar steward), so a discrete delete might be a better option in the cold light of morning :).

What I did really object to was peeps going back through DAYS worth of posts and deleting every entry because they'd got the hump with someone and were having a hissy-fit. That, thankfully, is a thing of the past, and for the most part the 'once round the clock' rule seems to work okay :)

No you're wrong, Karen.

Staying on here 24/7, editing posts and moving threads around is what I live for. I only wish there was more of it to do. ;):P

K x

It can always be arranged :devil::lol:

Mmmm, take your point, Karen.

What do other people think about a time limit of say 30 mins?

Yes. I think that would do it.

A cooling off period is one thing; but when people have already posted in a thread then the thread's origin disappears can be frustrating. Cooincidently, this happened earlier today.

I do think there are situations where deleting a thread/post is necessary for a variety of reasons, but would it be really that hard for the mods to help out in those situations?

Flo' :D

How about keep things as they are, but add a rule to the guidelines thread about deleting whole posts (I think this is the main problem), and if anyone persists in doing it, they get a dunking in the boating lake from the mods (or whatever other evil punishment they are currently dishing out :P)?

Personally I'd vote for 30 minutes - an hour: sounds like enough time to self - edit typos. Otherwise I think the general rule should apply that once the words are out there you can't take them back.

Of course we can edit if there's a strong reason for it.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't mind editing the occasional slip or typo if asked, it's easy to do. But I wouldn't want continual requests to delete or change entire posts simply because someone has changed their mind.

K x

How about keep things as they are, but add a rule to the guidelines thread about deleting whole posts (I think this is the main problem), and if anyone persists in doing it, they get a dunking in the boating lake from the mods (or whatever other evil punishment they are currently dishing out :P)?

Mods dishing out evil punishments.....please tell me what to do to get some..... :o:o:o:D:D:D Karen.

Mods dishing out evil punishments.....please tell me what to do to get some..... :o:o:o:D:D:D Karen.

That's Baddad's department.

:whistle::whistle:

K x

Personally I'd vote for 30 minutes - an hour: sounds like enough time to self - edit typos. Otherwise I think the general rule should apply that once the words are out there you can't take them back.

Of course we can edit if there's a strong reason for it.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't mind editing the occasional slip or typo if asked, it's easy to do. But I wouldn't want continual requests to delete or change entire posts simply because someone has changed their mind.

K x

Thanks, Kathryn, you've summed things up very neatly.

I do appreciate how busy things are for the mods, but if we had a time reduction they *could just say No* :o:o:o to any silly requests, and edit the sensible ones (sometimes newbies post their full contact details, etc).

So...are we having a show of hands to reduce the time limit for edits to 30 mins to an hour (we can bicker over which :shame: )??

Edited by bid

So...are we having a show of hands to reduce the time limit for edits to 30 mins to an hour (we can bicker over which :shame: )??

Have to say that it sounds like a good idea to me but all the mods and admins need to talk about it before making a decision.

Kris

Er-hem, we can decide whether the time limit is reduced to an hour or 30 mins??

And just to be scrupulously honest, (and before anyone goes 'Oooh, you did it, too!!') I believe I have only deleted a post once in my looonnnggg time here...but there were mitigating circumstances and it didn't destroy the sense of the thread! :devil::P So there! ;)

Er-hem, no you cant! :)

As I said, we'll discuss and get back to you.

Now behave or I'll set Robbie on you :robbie:;)

Kris

Now behave or I'll set Robbie on you :robbie:;)

Kris

Oooh, promises, promises! :devil:

I just lurve a benign dictator! :wub:

Boho ;)

I just lurve a benign dictator! :wub:

Boho ;)

is that the same thing as a propa man bloke??? :whistle::lol:

That sentence was actually in reply to Mumble's joke about bickering over which hand to show! :lol:

But you posted in between so it looks like I was saying it to you, which I wasn't...

Honest...

But of course the more I try to explain, the less convincing it sounds...

See, see...it's all Mumble's fault! :P;)

Can I just throw myself on your mercy? :o:lol::clap:

Boho :wub:;)

Edited by bid

Keep digging :)

:robbie:

That sentence was actually in reply to Mumble's joke about bickering over which hand to show! :lol:

But you posted in between so it looks like I was saying it to you, which I wasn't...

Honest...

But of course the more I try to explain, the less convincing it sounds...

See, see...it's all Mumble's fault! :P

Boho :wub:;)

See, see...it's all Mumble's fault! :P;)

Erm, no thanks :P:lol:

But all my fault, yep that seems about right :rolleyes::lol:

Did y'see how I edited to add a little winky emoticon, so's you'd know I was just joking, Mumbles!

Boho >:D<<'>

I always thought the 24 hour limit was so one could remove one's drunken posts from the previous night.

For that reason alone I'd like it to stay that way :ph34r::lol:

It's not the editing i don't like - I've done the same myself..... :whistle:

It's the deleting of a whole post that bugs me.

:)

It's not the editing i don't like - I've done the same myself..... :whistle:

It's the deleting of a whole post that bugs me.

:)

Exactly, that was my original point, Smiley :)

I always thought the 24 hour limit was so one could remove one's drunken posts from the previous night.

You sure 24 hours is long enough Pearl? :lol:

Kathryn, as a fluffy kind mod, could you trawl back through my posts and remove all references to beards and tena ladies? ;)

No - such posts are very entertaining for those of us who happen to be stone cold sober on that particular evening. :D

You sure 24 hours is long enough Pearl? :lol:

Kathryn, as a fluffy kind mod, could you trawl back through my posts and remove all references to beards and tena ladies? ;)

As a fluffy kind mod I'd be happy to do it, but as I'm not, I won't . :devil::P

K x

No - such posts are very entertaining for those of us who happen to be stone cold sober on that particular evening. :D

Another most excellent reason to reduce the time scale :devil::devil:

Not that I would know anything about squiffy posts... ;)

Edited by bid