bid

Time Limit for Editing Posts

Id say it was far too short - by about 23hrs and 30 minutes!

How many times have you said something one day and wished you hadn't the next? Personally, it's almost every time I open my gob!

I don't necessarily do it, and certainly it should never be a 'cop out' (i.e. someone going back and heavily editing what they have said and then trying to pass it off as something else) and always a last resort... but we're not politicians here and we do have mood swings (well, not me, obviously, I'm always a cantankerous old bar steward), so a discrete delete might be a better option in the cold light of morning :).

What I did really object to was peeps going back through DAYS worth of posts and deleting every entry because they'd got the hump with someone and were having a hissy-fit. That, thankfully, is a thing of the past, and for the most part the 'once round the clock' rule seems to work okay :)

The thing is, if your household is anything like mine, there are often lots of distractions especially in my home with two kids home schooling, plus phones and visitors, I often make mistakes or loose the flow of some of my posts and need to go back and fix them up.

Obviously most of you have a hassle free home environment and don't ever make mistakes. I think this should be left as is for those like myself, that have lots of distractions.

I am sure I am not the only one, and am sure many are too afraid to speak up.

Fran.

The thing is, if your household is anything like mine, there are often lots of distractions especially in my home with two kids home schooling, plus phones and visitors, I often make mistakes or loose the flow of some of my posts and need to go back and fix them up.

Obviously most of you have a hassle free home environment and don't ever make mistakes. I think this should be left as is for those like myself, that have lots of distractions.

I am sure I am not the only one, and am sure many are too afraid to speak up.

Fran.

:lol::clap:

Yeah, we're an idle lot on here! :rolleyes:

I dunno...all that spare time I have left over from working full-time, extra studying, running a home, 4 children and a husband!

Shame on me! :shame:

Boho :lol::lol:

:lol::clap:

Yeah, we're an idle lot on here! :rolleyes:

I dunno...all that spare time I have left over from working full-time, extra studying, running a home, 4 children and a husband!

Shame on me! :shame:

I was referring to my circumstances anyway. Not trying to say your life was any easier. But thats the norm around here lately, pick people to bits.

Don't you do most of your posting while they are sleeping, as you are now. At work

:lol::lol:

Yeah, in between dealing with epileptic seizures, administering emergency intervention when needed, changing teenagers who still need pads, assessing my NVQ candidates, running the team I lead...

When do you post again? Oh yeah...in between going for walks, playing tennis, painting, 'detailing your home', etc, etc...

Edited by bid

Always looking for an argument.

I work too and am a single mum.

Stop comparing circumstances, this is not what this is about.

No further posts from my on this pathetic subject going to pot as usual.

I think a time limit would be a good idea; it might make people think a little bit more carefully before they hit the post button. My house is always chaotic, and I never get a chance to sit at the computer when it's really mayhem. My bum doesn't touch a seat until well into the evening sometimes. So I wouldn't be able to use that as a reason because I just stay away if I'm busy, and catch up when I have a bit of time.

s

xxx

I think you'll find that you started comparing circumstances with this comment! :lol:

Boho :rolleyes:

I think a time limit would be a good idea; it might make people think a little bit more carefully before they hit the post button. My house is always chaotic, and I never get a chance to sit at the computer when it's really mayhem. My bum doesn't touch a seat until well into the evening sometimes. So I wouldn't be able to use that as a reason because I just stay away if I'm busy, and catch up when I have a bit of time.

s

xxx

Hi Sally! :)

Hope that's not you sitting on your bum, posting from your night shift, too! :lol::shame:

Boho :dance:

Do you find by the time you can go to bed, you're buzzing so much you need at least half an hour or more to wind down?

I get back from taking the kids to school after an 11 hour shift, and I have to read the paper before I can crawl into bed! :rolleyes::shame:

Boho :dance:

o.k..........here goes :unsure: ..........editing should just be used for spelling mistakes etc....I thought...if this is the case then having a 30 min editing time should be fine.However sometimes posts/threads come up which develop/turn into confrontations and arguments, at which time it is best I think that the mods have the ability to edit the posts at their discretion...IYSWIM.I,m sure if you put personal details up etc and at a later date wanted to edit, the mods would do it for you...........either way though I,m not bothered as I don,t edit much anyhow :whistle:

..and a quick tidy up....a bit of shopping and a few jobs around town...and then collapse.... :wacko:

I know, it's just a nightmare, isn't it! :(

I'm guessing you're another 4 hours-of-sleep-a-day girl, too! >:D<<'>

Boho :hypno:

:lol::lol:

Yeah, in between dealing with epileptic seizures, administering emergency intervention when needed, changing teenagers who still need pads, assessing my NVQ candidates, running the team I lead...

When do you post again? Oh yeah...in between going for walks, playing tennis, painting, 'detailing your home', etc, etc...

You're such a comedian. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::thumbs::thumbs:

:rolleyes:

Ahem!!

I think you two wind each other up big time :whistle:

Fran has got a point though, she would give the mods a full time job, may be it's back to thinking more about what you post to start with.

I type very slowly.

I type when my family are asleep, fortunately, having teenagers, that's almost as much time snoozing as the cat.

I also always re-read my post carefully before I post it.

And I am a 4 hours a night sleep girl.

And I have three sisters in law who don't work, but do lots of lovely creative housewife stuff, and go to the gym and play ladylike sports, and volunteer, and do flowers at church and have fantastic social lives...

And that last bit is a hard thing to be civil about sometimes

One forum I use has an edit of 5 mins :blink: bit short for me and my rubbish spelling (keep forgetting spell check!) but to be honest leaving posts open for changing for hours invites people to delete threads to make others look bad and to post without considering the consequences.

If people do regret saying things it's surely no big deal to quote their own reply in a post that clarifies or apologises for the original statement. :whistle: Anything truely offensive would be deleted by a mod any way I'm guessing (Katheryn obviously will be here 24/7 for that purpose :lol: )

I think 30 - 60 min edit should be more than enough to spot errors or calm down and "adjust" the statement made. ;)

A x

One forum I use has an edit of 5 mins :blink: bit short for me and my rubbish spelling (keep forgetting spell check!) but to be honest leaving posts open for changing for hours invites people to delete threads to make others look bad and to post without considering the consequences.

If people do regret saying things it's surely no big deal to quote their own reply in a post that clarifies or apologises for the original statement. :whistle: Anything truely offensive would be deleted by a mod any way I'm guessing (Katheryn obviously will be here 24/7 for that purpose :lol: )

I think 30 - 60 min edit should be more than enough to spot errors or calm down and "adjust" the statement made. ;)

A x

Well, you get my vote!

This is just a straight question, how old are your children Frangipani?

I've always thought that they were both over 16, are you still home-educating someone?

As this is pick on Fran time. I will let you in on a little secret.

But before I start, get for violins as you listen to my poor me story.

I have been quite ill since December last year. Its got much worse in the past three months and I have had to have the ambulance come twice. For severe anxiety attacks. I refused to go to hospital because I cant leave my kids. I am completely on my own.

I have no help whatsoever.

I have friends that help me but that is something I find very hard to accept. I hate my situation.

I have noticed I have made many mistakes over the past few months. Especially more since I was put on anti depressants and anxiety tablets. I am having problems all the time with the shakes. I think I have had an emotional breakdown.

But I am holding it together as my kids only have me. One of the reasons I was put on the meds was my daughters annual tests are coming up and I have so much more to worry about with her health than my own.

It seems there are a group of women on here who are misunderstanding my intentions and take all my posts to heart and too seriously. I believe it is a case of Aussie / UK lingo, misunderstanding each other.

I dont sit on my bum all day much to your comments and have a holiday everyday. I have many responsibilities but I dont feel I have to justify what my day comprises of.

But because of my current health situation I am struggling especially the past three weeks. I dont need more stress, as is going on in this thread.

I am not looking for sympathy, just asking for you to give me a break. Stop targeting me.

Enough said.

Fran.

Frangipani, I'm sorry if you feel that you are being targeted by me, there is no tag to your post or in your profile to say how old your children are, so I asked.

I'm also sorry that you are finding life very challenging at the moment, and have no support.

Many of us feel the need to take a break at sometime in our lives when things are getting very stressful, and would not welcome a virtual argument with someone they have never met. I tend to go through periods of reading but not posting, as in the ASD dx should equal Statement thread running at the moment. Sometimes I really don't want to go looking for a new challenge as I've got enough on my plate already.

Perhaps it would be more helpful to you to take a look art all the different stresses and worries in your life and see which ones need to be faced and which ones could be put on hold for a while.

I tend to worry in sequences, so sometimes I'm not just concentrating about getting through the day, sometimes it's just the next couple of hours.

I know that you have a strong faith, is there no one at your church that could support you?

Fran,

I'm sorry if anything I said upset you- I only meant that if you have distractions to think about what you are posting. I was talking about my bum, not yours. Sorry.

s

xxx

I'm going to create all sorts of problems here and jump back over the last 300 posts or so and respond to one on topic :whistle: You see, I do sleep (well, actually, the horse tranquilisers insist that I collapse and re-surface later still not feeing very 'slept' :unsure:)

Did y'see how I edited to add a little winky emoticon, so's you'd know I was just joking, Mumbles!

No problems, I knew you were joking, I was too with the left hand thing. I'm in a 'good place' (relatively speaking) at the mo (just pray it lasts another week to get me through Greenwich :pray::lol:)

I always thought the 24 hour limit was so one could remove one's drunken posts from the previous night.

For that reason alone I'd like it to stay that way :ph34r::lol:

But it gives me something to look forward to in the morning, knowing that you've been out on the booze and have likely had a strange 'discussion' with the other witch ... :ph34r::devil: I of course would never get slightly tipsy or post in such a state :drunk: so it ain't a problem for me :whistle:

Just a thought on spelling, does the spell checker now work automatically for everyone - I know I had to download something or other and it's fine now - maybe if that's a problem, it could be rectified and people would feel more secure (except the drunk night stalker :ph34r::P )

I am now closing this thread as it seems to have run it's course and risks descending into an argument.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove