warrenpenalver

Minor medical emergency!

Ive managed to rip half my big toe nail out of its root!!!! :tearful: Its only attached by one side and bleeding slightly!!! It needs urgently sorting as its agony and i can hardly walk and cant do shoes or socks as its too swolen. Ive tried pushing it back into place but it wont go so ive bandaged and taped it. Obviously i cant do minor surgery myself and dont fancy ripping it out myself either!!

Where do i go?????

On base i didnt matter if my arm fell off or a cold because i would always go to Sickbay.

But where do i go now?????

I figure i dont go to A+E as its not a serious injury and i wont die anytime soon.

So do i walk into GP surgery?? phone them??

I just dont know where to go to fix it??

:tearful::wallbash::crying:

Can you use a phone? If so, call NHS direct: 0845 4647 - and they will tell you where to go (and also what to do about strapping it up at all to prevent infection whilst travelling). If you can't call them, someone else can do so on your behalf.

Otherwise, do you have a minor injuries unit - they would also be able to fix it. Personally I'm not sure GP would be the best place - whenever I've been with minor injuries (I'm scared of hospitals so tend to try GP instead) I've been sent to A&E or minor injuries.

Hope you get it sorted - I've pulled out my toe nails before and it hurt and can bleed quite a lot.

Mumble is absolutely on the money. NHS Direct will be your best bet (but from my experiences they can sometimes take a while to get back to you when they're busy).

A+E might not seem like a good idea but if there are no other options, don't worry about going to them - that's what they're there for (while you might think that it's 'trivial', it's better to be safe than sorry).

Toenails being ripped out hurt (again, personal experience, blah, blah, blah) but once the nail is out of the way, you just have to stop the bleeding (surgical tape and a healthy dose of cotton wool are brilliant - even if unsticking the cotton wool when you change the dressing can be 'delicate'). Anti-septic cream will be essential but the fact that you've ripped it out by the root means that I'd definitely be seeking medical help.

Edited by TheNeil

Oh, try lying down and rest you leg up on the arm of the sofa (or something). Relieving the pressure will help to slow/stop the bleeding

Oh, try lying down and rest you leg up on the arm of the sofa (or something). Relieving the pressure will help to slow/stop the bleeding

Just make sure it's a wipe-cleanable sofa before you try that, unless you want to try a little interior decoration.

just got back!!!

The minor injury unit wouldnt do anything other than bandage it and they sent me to A+E where theyve taped it down flat and bandaged it telling me to go to gp for redressing as it will fall out. So foot elevated and bandaged!! doesnt hurt at moment but just feels erm odd. havent taken anything until just now when i took ibuprofen to ensure no major swelling later.

Dont worry mumble! Ive got leather sofa so wipe clean!! :lol: But i know what you mean!! I remember when i badly cut open my arm and how a small amount of blood can make a light coloured room rapidly look like a murder scene :lol:

Oooooooo ouch, that made me shiver - one of the most painful things is whacking your little toe on the swivel wheel thing on a bed.. :sick::crying:

Hope it gets better soon. :)

I was just thinking what a lovely foot you have. I'm assuming the other one has similar bone structure.

You could become a sparkly-toed aspie once you have a full set of nails...bid or mumble could give you tips.

I was just thinking what a lovely foot you have. I'm assuming the other one has similar bone structure.

You could become a sparkly-toed aspie once you have a full set of nails...bid or mumble could give you tips.

me too! I've been member of the LSA's since it's inaugural meeting so I too lay claim to being knowledgable on all things sparkly, toes included :lol:

mumble could give you tips.

Assuming that you want to keep the nail-varnish on forever that is (as far as we know she still hasn't got all of it off :lol:)

The Toe Monster! It feeds on sparkly nail varnish and sleeps on a (nail) bed!

Im am SOOOO relieved it was a bandaged pic!! I would have taken one look at the actual injury and passed out promptly!! I have SUCH a bad phobia when it comes to foot injuries.....*shivers*

Just the thought numbs my hands and feet-its taking me ages to type now!!!

Just can't figure why I kept reading once I knew the nature of your owie........horrified fascination, probably......

Oooo, hope your toe feels better soon!

Esther

Oooh, poor you Warren! I once did something similar on a dig in Greece...I was dancing around foolishly drawing attention to myself when I kicked a crate of aubergines!! :crying::sick:

And talking of medical emergencies and Lipstick Aspies, Flo do you remember our LSA Inaugural Meeting in the pub(!) and the little old lady who choked and we had to do First Aid while waiting for the ambulance?? :o:ph34r::lol:

That was an experience...it was the first time we met, so neither of us actually looked properly at the other for the whole day, and as we tried to get the little old lady into the recovery position and keep her airways open by tilting her head back, a completely unrelated mad old man kept trying to force her head forwards, telling us he'd worked in hospitals for years!

Bid :)

Edited by bid

And talking of medical emergencies and Lipstick Aspies, Flo do you remember our LSA Inaugural Meeting in the pub(!) and the little old lady who choked and we had to do First Aid while waiting for the ambulance?? :o:ph34r::lol:

Bid :)

:lol: I certainly do!!! I was absolutely convinced she was 'on her way out'... and you know, I still see her in the pub knocking back the G&T's!!!!! :lol:

Floz :dance:

I was so impressed with you Flo and all your cool nursing professionalism! :thumbs:

And afterwards - another life saved- we just re-adjusted our sparklies, fluffed up our hair, shook out our uber-thongs and tottered back home...it was like an episode from the Batcave! :bat::clap::dance:

Bid :lol:

shook out our uber-thongs and tottered back home...it was like an episode from the Batcave! :bat::clap::dance:

Bid :lol:

Shook out our uber thongs :lol: The images that conjures :ph34r: of us staggering along removing our 'wedgies' :hypno::lol::dance: Very dignified... just like what we are B)

Flo' :dance:

ps... OOPs Sorry Warren >:D<<'> Hope your tootsie gets well soon. :D Flo' X

Edited by Flora

JP is keen to know how exactly you did it, Warren.

Pookie, I'd avoid this thread from now on! :lol:

erm i wasnt going to post this but if JP wants to know then he can click on the link, but its not for the squeemish!!! Dont click if squeemish!!

I did it putting bags under the bed!! i was on knees, top of foot flat on floor and moved leg (and foot) backwards and nail caught on the metal thing on the carpet at bottom of door frame and nail ripped backwards, I muttered obscenities and sat for ages refusing to take sock off as id rather have ignored it :wacko: It didnt hurt much when i did it, only a little bit latter when nurses started to play. Was more that horrible feeling in stomach than pain when i did it.

When I was a little girl, to advertise that night's Star Trek ep, there was a picture in the paper of the monster featured. My mum, realizing I'd be scared of it, hid the paper and told me not to look. Well, curiosity got the better of me and I sneaked into the kitchen, dug out the paper from where it was hidden and peeked!! I can still remember the stab of terror that gripped me as I gazed upon the awful sight. Well, history has just repeated itself. Foolishly ignoring your warning, I coudn't resist peekng, and now I really, REALLY wish I hadn't!! Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh, the horror, the horror!!!!!!!!!!! :o

~ Mel ~ (who wants her mum) :tearful:

When I was a little girl, to advertise that night's Star Trek ep, there was a picture in the paper of the monster featured. My mum, realizing I'd be scared of it, hid the paper and told me not to look. Well, curiosity got the better of me and I sneaked into the kitchen, dug out the paper from where it was hidden and peeked!! I can still remember the stab of terror that gripped me as I gazed upon the awful sight.

I know, William Shatner's wigs just got worse and worse :devil:

Oh dear so most of the forum members are going to need counselling now!! :lol:

is it like when they have a big red button with "do not touch" and people just have to push it????

Oh dear so most of the forum members are going to need counselling now!! :lol:

is it like when they have a big red button with "do not touch" and people just have to push it????

Warren, I would liken it to the time when I just 'had' to watch the Exorcist!!! :lol:

Flo' :lol:

Warren - i keep coming back to this thread - i still haven't clicked it - i don't wanna click it - but it's calling me!!!! :lol:

Will resist for now - just about to have my dinner. :sick:

:lol:

Its a terrible thing, lack of willpower.

Whenever a student returns a forensic science book, I have to take a peek inside .... then really wish I hadn't.

Warren - i keep coming back to this thread - i still haven't clicked it - i don't wanna click it - but it's calling me!!!! :lol:

Will resist for now - just about to have my dinner. :sick:

Don't do it, don't do it, DON'T DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

~ Mel ~

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh

I wanna click - but shouldn't click - but wannnnnnna!

I used to be indecisive - but now i just don't know...........