Enid

Threatening suicide

My DS 13 next month, has very often threatened suicde, he is now on strattera so there is an increased risk, the last few days have been awful and I mean AWFUL after a goodish patch, which is what usually happens. tonight as soon as he came in from school he looked odd and menacing, he kept saying am going to kill myself, yet still walked the dog with the elderly neighbour, its a real obsession with him!! she came back without him, he had put both fists in her face, never done this before, she walked away and he laid down in the middle of the road, he has done this many times, I went out to him and he was shouting I want to be dead, whilst punching himself in the head and legs and pulling his hair, 30 mins later managed to talk him around, he then told me he hadnt taken tablets last two days and had hid todays in the taxi, phoned driver who looked and he had!! So is the last two days awful behaviour the result of NOT taking the meds, OR did he not take the meds cos he`s going through a bad patch???? After a very worrying couple of hours when we were all scared of him as he roamed around the house like a madman, I made him a cup of hot chocolate and put his pills in, not feeling proud of myself but no one else is helping so needs must. Enid

Enid, I am so sorry to hear this, but can empathise as our DS has threatened this on many occassions usually when he feels totally out of control of the things around him and unable to explain what or why.

I hope you manage to get to the bottom of this, its is so very worrying and scarey for you all.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

How long has he been on strattera? this drug takes a good few weeks to really make a difference, stopping and starting the medication will also cause disturbances in the brain, so I would first of all ensure he takes it as he is suppose to and closely monitor him, and keep a diary, write down todays behaviour too and note he hasnt taken the medication for two days, has he done this with his other medication too, as this would really disrupt his moods too.

I would call the camhs and let them know of the situation, just so you know you passed on the information.

JsMum

Been on it 8 weeks now, will def phone CAHMS in the morning. thanks for support, feeling worried as I think we are in for a bad few weeks as this is the pattern. Enid

Enid >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

We haven't had any suicidal thoughts with AJ on strattera BUT he had his meds increased 2 weeks ago and I am not sure whether the current awful behaviour is related to that or to the possibility of other recreational drugsbeing used along side. I am also starting to keep a diary to record all this as it seems a logical way of recording patterns.

Enid, I'm with you all the way!!!

Stella x

I'm really sorry to hear what you are going through at the moment it must be very hard for you, my son has bruises on his face from punching himself so many times the other day just cos I wouldn't allow him to play out after 7pm it's awful when they get so angry they do this to themselves.

I was told Strattera usually takes about 6-8 weeks to start working effectively and when my son was taking it I found that when he was calmer he was quite calm but if he did explode it was a lot worse than normal lasting a lot longer too, almost as if he was out of control, eventually he started to refuse to take it and so we stopped it, but it was done gradually, the few weeks after his behaviour was awful but then it started to seem better.

Has your son explained to you why he doesn't want to take it, could it be as I wondered with my son if it did make him feel strange and angrier or out of control when he got angrier, could it be an age thing and that your son doesn't want to be taking medication?

I would definitely talk to CAHMS about it but also see if your son can explain to you why he doesn't want to take it, my son could never tell me and still doesn't now he just says he hates taking it, yet he's fine with taking his melatonin and clonodine at night to help him sleep.

I hope you get some answers and that the neighbour is ok and that your child is ok now, hugs to you >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Last two hours spent with him screaming, just kill me, I want to die, my life is not worth living, he refused to go to bed or leave living room, I am so tired, he has gone up 10 mins ago but is still awake. Dont know if it is the meds or not, he wasnt as violent as usual, but seriously depressed and weeping and wailing, rang docs, he said what is it you want me to do, really helpful, too tired to relate the whole story but hope there is a good ending. night all and thanks. Enid

Enid it could be the Strattera. This is what it says about the drug

Strattera may cause serious mental health problems including suicidal thoughts and psychosis (seeing or hearing things that are not real) in children and teenagers. Call your doctor right away if your child has thoughts of suicide or sudden changes in mood or behavior, especially at the beginning of treatment or after a change in dose.

If your son has not been taking his pills then he has changed the dose. There is no possibility that your son could have bipolar is there? Because it also says that this is something that doctors need to be aware of.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Cat

Don't know what to say except, take care and i hope things are a bit calmer today and that help is now being offered.

N x

hi enid

hope things have calmed down abit for you this morning, my heart gos out to you, yours must be breaking at the mo your poor sons head must be in bits,im sorry i have know advise regarding the drug but just wonted you to know i am thinking of you and your family at this terrible time sending loads of hugs >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

takecare

theresa xxx

Hi Enid, Hope things have calmed down for you, l would def see about getting his meds changed. How is he at school? Surley they must be having problems with him. Hang on in there Nick was so so bad at 13, but he is much much better now. Thinking of you >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Thanks all, >:D<<'> Cat I definately think its bipolar, have my second opinion meeting in two week, I phoned them up and pleaded today and they gave me their 1st available appoinment, so am gping to sit down tonight and write a time line of events, thank god I have kept a record. My social worker actually came to the house today as a result of the email I fired off last night in despair, she was here when he got in from school, she is to set up a multiagency meeting in the next rwo weeks, and try to pin everyone down as to what happens next, school are struggling as he keeps running off before he even gets there in the morning, get frantic phone calls from taxi driver, shades of Nick, Soroya!!! They have also noted a marked deterioration in his behaviour, and state of mind. Everyone is thinking residential and I think it is the only way forward, though it breaks my heart, but if J`s mum can do, so can I!!! I have to look to the future, so for the mo he is calm, soaking in the bath, and very quiet. but after last night anything is a relief. Thank you all >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Enid

I have been reading up today and there are some Doctors who now think that if you have bipolar and take Strattera it can make the symptoms worse. This is why they are going to have to listen to you Enid. They might not want to recognise the Bipolar but they might have to.

This is no way for any of you to be living you all deserve a more peacful way of life. The right Residential School can work wonders for the whole family and in the long run that is all that matters.

>:D<<'> Cat