marblerun

clothing issue

Hi

Has anyone got ideas on how to get my son to wear long sleeved tops, jumpers and jackets?! He will wear his school jumper with sleeves pushed up and his school coat 'super man style' - hood only. He obviously does not like long sleeves on his arms.

Hi

Has anyone got ideas on how to get my son to wear long sleeved tops, jumpers and jackets?! He will wear his school jumper with sleeves pushed up and his school coat 'super man style' - hood only. He obviously does not like long sleeves on his arms.

In colder months we wear underlayers from millets, just an idea.

JsMum

Erm nope!

Today it was freezing here, DS couldn;t find his warm winter coat because it turned out that he'd left it in the car which was parked too far away to pop to. He had to wear his water proof so we could walk the dog, I told him to wear a jumper too because it was freezing outside (just stopped hailing) he had a megga tantrum over it and it took about 15 minutes for him to get ready to go out with the dog! In the mean time the dog was going crazy because she doesn't understand that simply putting your coat on and getting the lead doesn't mean we are leaving right away when DS has to come along too :wallbash:

He also won't wear long sleaves, must always have his hood up and tabs velcroed tightly around his neck but zip fully open (looks crazy!) hates ande won't wear jumpers to the point that he loses them on purpose. Won;t wear jeans but thankfully I have at last found some long trousers that he will wear in the last week. The only long trousers he used to wear looked terrible and ancient but hoorah for Primark and their lovely softly lined trousers which actually look quite trendy - they have saved me the "your poor child looks freezing in those shorts, it is December you know!" looks that I have become accustomed too over the years. :lol:

Shoes are another matter, he takes ages to put them on due to the velcro needing to be so super tight that his feet are practically falling off due to the lack of circulation, it can take a very long time to get them just right!

Sorry I have no solutions. But you do have my sympathy. :rolleyes:

Shoes are another matter, he takes ages to put them on due to the velcro needing to be so super tight that his feet are practically falling off due to the lack of circulation, it can take a very long time to get them just right!

I do the same thing with velcro shoes :lol:

Hi

My son doesn't seem to feel the cold. Had big problems trying to get him to wear appropriate clothing in cold weather when he was younger. He's now nearly 7 and I've found things a bit easier. I've tried illustrated social stories and tried to explain that although his body doesn't feel cold, the fact that he has goosebumps on his skin means that his brain is telling his skin he's cold. In addition, I've advised him of the possible consequences of not keeping warm eg nasty cold. I think that some of it has sunk in. Difficult one!

Caroline.

Up until my son started school he only ever wore shorts, his chose. He is often seen out in the cold in just a tee shirt and shorts, Just doesn't seem to notice it is cold. Socks are something that have to be worn for school but he would rather not and shoes are there just to stop your feet getting dirty.

We worry about our kids being cold in shorts, but think back, my generation never wore long trousers until we started secondary school. My dads generation wore shorts until they left school at 14.

And girls never wore trousers of any kind.

I gave up worrying a long time ago.

Other thing that I thought of, it took my ages to find a quilt that was light enough, it is a super light wight summer one that he uses all year round.

And when he was a baby he would always be found right up the head end of the cot minus any covers.( From a few weeks old)

Edited by chris54

I was out yesterday wearing my jumper and coat, but I saw other people wearing far less - one person was wearing only a T-shirt and shorts! At work we have a window cleaner who comes about 5am and wears shorts all year round. I don't think all these people can be autistic, so I think this not feeling the cold is not an autistic-only issue.

But marblerun's son's issue sounds more like a sensory issue with the feeling of clothes on his arms rather than not feeling the cold. Plenty of short-sleeved layers might be your answer, a tight-fitting (possibly thermal) vest and a T-shirt under his school shirt, and a thick warm gilet instead of a coat (a camping shop may be the best place to get one that is very warm). As long as his torso is kept warm, the legs and arms are less important unless you're talking Arctic conditions.

I was out yesterday wearing my jumper and coat, but I saw other people wearing far less - one person was wearing only a T-shirt and shorts! At work we have a window cleaner who comes about 5am and wears shorts all year round. I don't think all these people can be autistic, so I think this not feeling the cold is not an autistic-only issue.

But marblerun's son's issue sounds more like a sensory issue with the feeling of clothes on his arms rather than not feeling the cold. Plenty of short-sleeved layers might be your answer, a tight-fitting (possibly thermal) vest and a T-shirt under his school shirt, and a thick warm gilet instead of a coat (a camping shop may be the best place to get one that is very warm). As long as his torso is kept warm, the legs and arms are less important unless you're talking Arctic conditions.

As long as your head, heart and feet are warm then the body will be fine in cold weathers.

Also the cold thing maybe down more to matablism, Js is fast and he often doesnt feel the cold, his body is constantly moving, and running, so he doesnt feel cold, but when he does ask for his coat, you know its sub zero temperatures outside.

We have a lot more to keep us warm indoors now too, central heating, better food, and maybe its us that feels the cold more, because we keep ourselves warmer much more now a days.

I know a walker who wears shorts all the time too, with him been active he doesnt feel it.

JsMum

This has brought back quite a few memories.

My (Asperger's) daughter now 22, wouldnt wear a jumper to school. The school she attended had a proper uniform but she would only wear the blazer and the blouse even in the depths of winter. The funny thing is DH is exactly the same, he has always hated coats. My DD didnt get any more colds than the average child, DH gets less colds than me so in some cases its just one of those things you have to go along with. My DD couldnt tolerate labels in her clothes either.

DGS is also getting a bit awkward about certain clothes, but not as bad as his mum was. He doesnt seem to like 2 layers of sleeves eg long sleeved t shirt under sweatshirt or jumper, he wont wear a vest either, but he seems OK in his school uniform of cotton polo shirt and sweatshirt. He just chews them.

I think its a case of trial and error, see what they cope with. I accept now that DD and DH just dont feel things the same way as I do.

This is a nightmare with my ds too.....today he had one at shirt n boxer shorts n said this is fine n it was freezing and 1st thing in the morning...we had to go out n after a huge battle I managed to get jeans on him(certain pair certain colour etc)and a gillet(he dont do coats unless it is the last possible resort). Bodywarmwers/gillets are a fantastic creation.

Funny isn't it! My ds2 (5) dresses himself in shorts and teeshirt no matter what the weather. He will sometimes wear a jumper or a coat but wouldn't think to put one on himself.

With ds#1 (8) we did have problems with the change of seasons (in summer it would take him ages to stop wearing winter clothes and vice versa). Now he wears teeshirt and trousers no matter what the weather but moans when he's cold, it wouldn't cross his mind to put a jumper on.

The only thing my son will wear (under protest) is his coat. So after 11 years we have given up buying jumpers because he does not wear them.

He seems most comfortable in shorts T-Shirt and sandals regardless of the time of year.

Erm nope!

Today it was freezing here, DS couldn;t find his warm winter coat because it turned out that he'd left it in the car which was parked too far away to pop to. He had to wear his water proof so we could walk the dog, I told him to wear a jumper too because it was freezing outside (just stopped hailing) he had a megga tantrum over it and it took about 15 minutes for him to get ready to go out with the dog! In the mean time the dog was going crazy because she doesn't understand that simply putting your coat on and getting the lead doesn't mean we are leaving right away when DS has to come along too :wallbash:

He also won't wear long sleaves, must always have his hood up and tabs velcroed tightly around his neck but zip fully open (looks crazy!) hates ande won't wear jumpers to the point that he loses them on purpose. Won;t wear jeans but thankfully I have at last found some long trousers that he will wear in the last week. The only long trousers he used to wear looked terrible and ancient but hoorah for Primark and their lovely softly lined trousers which actually look quite trendy - they have saved me the "your poor child looks freezing in those shorts, it is December you know!" looks that I have become accustomed too over the years. :lol:

Sorry I have no solutions. But you do have my sympathy. :rolleyes:

Hi

Thanks for that! I can tell you that my son looks funny just carrying his coat when he is shivering while refusing to put it on. We too have had huge tantrums delaying going out for ages. I see you have twins also-we have 4 year old boys and when ham reverts to being like a 4 year old it can get quite mad!

marble run :thumbs:

The only thing my son will wear (under protest) is his coat. So after 11 years we have given up buying jumpers because he does not wear them.

He seems most comfortable in shorts T-Shirt and sandals regardless of the time of year.

I know what you mean! Luckily we have 2 more kids if he doesn't wear the new clothes and they get a 2nd chance to be worn. My son is happiest in t shirts but as long as they 'match' his trousers!

This is a nightmare with my ds too.....today he had one at shirt n boxer shorts n said this is fine n it was freezing and 1st thing in the morning...we had to go out n after a huge battle I managed to get jeans on him(certain pair certain colour etc)and a gillet(he dont do coats unless it is the last possible resort). Bodywarmwers/gillets are a fantastic creation.

Hi

Yes Ham(7) is the same with certain trousers matching certain tops etc and he owns a gillet which he will wear so I might invest in a warmer one of them-ta for that idea

This has brought back quite a few memories.

My (Asperger's) daughter now 22, wouldnt wear a jumper to school. The school she attended had a proper uniform but she would only wear the blazer and the blouse even in the depths of winter. The funny thing is DH is exactly the same, he has always hated coats. My DD didnt get any more colds than the average child, DH gets less colds than me so in some cases its just one of those things you have to go along with. My DD couldnt tolerate labels in her clothes either.

DGS is also getting a bit awkward about certain clothes, but not as bad as his mum was. He doesnt seem to like 2 layers of sleeves eg long sleeved t shirt under sweatshirt or jumper, he wont wear a vest either, but he seems OK in his school uniform of cotton polo shirt and sweatshirt. He just chews them.

I think its a case of trial and error, see what they cope with. I accept now that DD and DH just dont feel things the same way as I do.

Hi

My son chews is uniforms too! I have so many polo shirts that have no buttons on them and all his t shirts have tint teeth size holes on them-looks quite disgusting after day! You are right about perhaps needing to just accept he is comfortable in the clothes he choses.

Up until my son started school he only ever wore shorts, his chose. He is often seen out in the cold in just a tee shirt and shorts, Just doesn't seem to notice it is cold. Socks are something that have to be worn for school but he would rather not and shoes are there just to stop your feet getting dirty.

We worry about our kids being cold in shorts, but think back, my generation never wore long trousers until we started secondary school. My dads generation wore shorts until they left school at 14.

And girls never wore trousers of any kind.

I gave up worrying a long time ago.

Other thing that I thought of, it took my ages to find a quilt that was light enough, it is a super light wight summer one that he uses all year round.

And when he was a baby he would always be found right up the head end of the cot minus any covers.( From a few weeks old)

I know, you have to decide what is going to get in the way of life and what is just going to be. I think my son will always just have certain clothes for certain activities. thanks

Hi,

We have pretty much the same problem. My daughter will occasionally wear them when I manage to find the right one - she would rather be cooler than hotter - as when she gets anxious, stressed or upset her temperature goes up and she feels faint and sick - therefore it has to be perfectly comfortable and a cool fabric like cotton - it's all about the feel of the clothes for her.

Long sleeve t-shirt tops are difficult to get once they get older (she's 15 now) - it musn't have buttons or motifs or elastic on it as she can feel these inside - the material must be light and cool as she won't wear anything remotely thicker - it musn't be tight around the neck as she feels like she's choking but also not too loose that it feels like her shoulders are exposed. The width of the arms mustn't be clingy yet not too baggy as they flap around - also the stretch around the arms must be right - so that it's not restrictive in movement as she feels bound like a mummy.

Coats are exactly the same they have to be light and not padded or too narrow.

Hope you get somewhere soon.

Take care,

Jb

Brings back lots of memories this topic. Like someone else said we too gave up buying jumpers/ sweaters..... they just weren't worn. Just the minimum of clothes until DD hit the age of 11 or 12 but now she generally wears what one would think of as appropriate clothing for the season. Fleeces /gilets were the starting point for wearing an additional layer . DD also didn't like long sleeves under a jacket but eventually she even came round to that. Maybe they just grow out of it ...and yes she has survived....despite all the remarks and comments.

Hi

Thanks for that! I can tell you that my son looks funny just carrying his coat when he is shivering while refusing to put it on. We too have had huge tantrums delaying going out for ages. I see you have twins also-we have 4 year old boys and when ham reverts to being like a 4 year old it can get quite mad!

Yes, I usually feel that I have tripplets rather than twins because he usually acts the same age as them or younger. When crossing roads I make my more sensible twin hold mine and Ds's hand to make sure he actually crosses otherwise I look back and he is still at the curb looking at the cars behind him! :rolleyes:

Hey ho, nice to meet another twin mum.

I dont like shirts and things covering my forearms either and i have a wierd sense of temperature at the moment. Im comfortable outside in a short sleeve shirt even in the snow yet in my house My feet are freezing all the time and i have to put the soles of my feet on the radiator to warm them up.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I hate long sleeves but will wear a coat if its really cold, hate jumpers.

I also prefer to be cool, my room is like 'antartica' or 'siberia' my mum says and tells me if i want my room that cold i must close the door as its making the house cold haha. (i have the heater off and the window open all year round and a light weight duvet too)

I have been known to go ski-ing with no jacket, just a t-shirt.

i wld go with the suggestion of a gillet if he will wear one and ur worried about him being cold.

my son also does this will only wear t-shirts he loves his shorts too, theres me sitting there freezing and he not even feeling a thing, dont know if its got something to do with the fact he is always on the go, i find night times are hard too, he will keep his pj top on but once his in bed always takes it off no matter how cold it is, i not sure why but might be he dont like the feel of a top on when his in bed, the only way i could get my son to wear a coat is by getting him one with the colour orange on it his fav colour, but will still try and get out of wearing a coat if he can, the words but i not cold and my answer is always no coat no going out i win in the end even if he dont do the coat up, i find also body warms help but still in that case my son thinks he dont need a jumper with it, you do feel like you are just banging your head on brick wall :wallbash: but nice to see they all seem to do this.