ScienceGeek

US election

I was wondering if anyone else on here was following the election and the news coverage for the vote today? I really want Obama to win :pray:, not long to go until we find out. Although we're not American our country are very pally with them so keeping an eye on the situation is a good idea :whistle:

My boss went to the US last week and brought back T shirts and badges for us all. (Obama, in case you're wondering!) :rolleyes:

L is going to wear the T shirt to college tomorrow - she loves all things American.

It's interesting - more so than previous US elections have been. I won't be staying up all night though! I can never understand why the campaign has to go on for a whole year though. Gets boring after a while.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

My method is:

1. Keep looking on BBC for a while.

2. Go to bed

....lovely sleep....

3. Wake up in the morning.

4. Check the BBC News website again.

5. Bob's your uncle - result revealed

Which ever candidate becomes president, I don't suppose it will Chang the Americans view of the world, that they come first and the rest of us can go !!!! !!!.

I dont care who the US president is. The tactical decisions he makes about conflicts are influenced mostly by the heavily controlled intelligence network and the Joint Chiefs advice. He merely signs off on them. Political policys wont change anything. If its Obama there may well be the initial "novelty" of the first black president but that will soon fade.

EXCELLENT!! Obama won :clap::dance::robbie:

I stayed up until it was announced and then watched the speeches before finally collapsing in bed at 5:30am and got up again at 7am :lol: I'm really glad I got to see it live though. :thumbs:

20th Jan we're having an inaugaration (I think that is how to spell it) party :thumbs:

Well, even a hard bitten old cynic like me had a lump in her throat this morning listening to his speech. Nice to have a president who can string a few words together. It was the bit about the 106 year old black lady casting her vote that got to me.

Mind you, I remember feeling quite euphoric when Blair got in ... :ph34r:

It was the bit about the 106 year old black lady casting her vote that got to me.

Mind you, I remember feeling quite euphoric when Blair got in ... :ph34r:

And Tone didn't even mention you (a 106 year old librarian) voting did he? Bwuhahahahahaha :devil:

Ben is......I don't understand it. :thumbs::thumbs::whistle: Karen.

I don't understand American politics at all. The US isn't a country I know much about. If I were an American I would probably have voted for Ralph Nader.

I dont care who the US president is. The tactical decisions he makes about conflicts are influenced mostly by the heavily controlled intelligence network and the Joint Chiefs advice. He merely signs off on them. Political policys wont change anything. If its Obama there may well be the initial "novelty" of the first black president but that will soon fade.

I believe what you say. Many years ago I concluded that politicians are puppets and their strings are pulled by shadowy figures from big business and the intelligence services.

And Tone didn't even mention you (a 106 year old librarian) voting did he? Bwuhahahahahaha :devil:

Huh. No respect, young people today. I'd flounce off, if my artificial hip would let me.

Huh. No respect, young people today. I'd flounce off, if my artificial hip would let me.

Get that Zimmer cracking :devil:

I believe what you say. Many years ago I concluded that politicians are puppets and their strings are pulled by shadowy figures from big business and the intelligence services.

Its the same with any large detached organisation, the executive decsision making is only as good as the intelligence/information fed into the decision making process.

Especially the case in governments and security/military. Would you believe that the PM in this country does not have access to certain information in certain organisations due to security classification!!! Sure he can gain clearance if needed (well he is the PM!!) but he would have to be aware of the information in the first place!!!

Compare it to the scene in the film "independance day" when the US president lands at area 51 and is shocked that he didnt know, and you understand the concept i mean!!!

Its not necessarily shadowy figures or conspiracy theories but often personal agenda may clash with whats in the interests of the nation.

Get the upgraded model artificial hip!! the later ones have advance greatly with technology.